Upgrading ChatterBox VOIP Sample to Windows Phone Silverlight 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am attempting to modify the ChatterBox VOIP sample app to target Windows Phone Silverlight 8.1. I have re-targeted the projects in Visual Studio and fixed the paths in the custom build step for the BackEnd project. After these changes, the app compiles and starts, but calling VoipBackgroundProcess.Launch() throws a System.InvalidOperationException. The “Platform compatibility and breaking changes for Windows Phone Silverlight 8.1 apps” article lists a couple of breakages for VOIP apps, but doesn't provide many details about the changes.

The “Silverlight 8.1 apps must use separate hosts for their VoIP, periodic, and background audio agents” section says that “you must specify the task to be launched in a separate host, declared in the AppX manifest.” I am not sure exactly what needs to be changed. I've tried adding a background task in the Package.appxmanifest for each of the agents, but still experience the same exception. Do each of the agents need to be in a separate executable?

According to the section “Auto-upgraded VoIP apps must manually correct the Package.appxmanifest file”, there are changes which must be made manually, but it doesn't list those changes. Is this referring to using separate hosts for the VOIP agents or are there additional changes which also need to be made?

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Friday, July 11, 2014 5:06 PM

All replies

• I will ask the authors of the sample!

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

@jsandersrocks - Windows Store Developer Solutions @WSDevSol
    Getting Started With Windows Azure Mobile Services development? Click here
    Getting Started With Windows Phone or Store app development? Click here
    My Team Blog: Windows Store & Phone Developer Solutions
    My Blog: Http Client Protocol Issues (and other fun stuff I support)

Monday, July 14, 2014 7:57 PM
  • Hi Jeff!

Any news on this? I'm having the same problem and I'm completely stuck by now. The documentation of the whole Windows Phone 8 VoIP topic was already not the best to begin with, but now with Windows Phone/Silverlight 8.1 Microsoft seems to have abandoned us developers completely.

E.g. the platform compatibility document for WP 8.1 (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/dn642084%28v=vs.105%29.aspx) says:

"Auto-upgraded VoIP apps must manually correct the Package.appxmanifest file
    A Windows Phone 8 app with VoIP background agents when auto-upgraded to Silverlight 8.1 requires further changes to be supported"

And that's it. There is nothing more than this simple statement, without any further explanation as to what those changes actually are!

Especially the declaration of the background process with the new manifest file Package.appxmanifest is completely unclear to me. The same compatibility document for WP 8.1 states:

"OutOfProc ActivatableClasses cannot specify a DLL as the server path except for VoIP and FBH PPLE"

The Chatterbox sample had its OutOfProcess server specified as a DLL and if I understand the statement above correctly then this should still be possible with VoIP apps on 8.1. However, when I try to add the OutOfProcessServer extension to the Package.appxmanifest with the same DLL as before like this

<Extension Category="windows.activatableClass.outOfProcessServer">
      <OutOfProcessServer ServerName="PhoneVoIPApp.BackEnd">
    	<Path>PhoneVoIPApp.BackEnd.DLL</Path>
    	<Instancing>multipleInstances</Instancing>
    	<ActivatableClass ActivatableClassId="PhoneVoIPApp.BackEnd.OutOfProcess.Server" />
      </OutOfProcessServer>
    </Extension>

then Visual Studio complains that this must now be an EXE with 8.1 and won't compile. I don't get it.

I would very much appreciate if you could follow up on this. An updated Chatterbox sample that's targeting Windows Phone Silverlight 8.1 would probably be best as I'm sure there is probably more than one thing that needs to be changed. Thanks a lot!

Friday, July 18, 2014 11:38 AM
  • Hello all! Kevin, is it possible to share your updated chatterbox sample?
    Thursday, August 7, 2014 2:07 PM
  • Hi.

Any news on this?

Thanks

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 2:29 PM
  • I will ask the authors of the sample!

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

@jsandersrocks - Windows Store Developer Solutions @WSDevSol
    Getting Started With Windows Azure Mobile Services development? Click here
    Getting Started With Windows Phone or Store app development? Click here
    My Team Blog: Windows Store & Phone Developer Solutions
    My Blog: Http Client Protocol Issues (and other fun stuff I support)

I have same question about this, is the sample already had? 
    Friday, September 19, 2014 7:25 AM
  • Any news on this one?
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:02 AM
  • hi Otto Katz, FYI

https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/ChatterBox-VoIP-WP81-64921ad4

Friday, December 12, 2014 11:01 AM
  • Hi dizzynct

The link you provided is not working

it says " This item is not yet published. "

Friday, January 30, 2015 12:29 PM
  • Hi dizzynct

The link you provided is not working

it says " This item is not yet published. "

Friday, January 30, 2015 12:33 PM
  • Link does not open for me.

As I understand everybody are working on Windows 10... Maybe updates will be after W10 release.

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 5:58 PM