Conflict between SQL Compact and SQL Express RRS feed

• Question

• I am having an issue with two SQL instances on the same machine:

The primary application uses Microsoft SQL Server Compact 4.0 but when I install the Veeam Backup agent, it installs:

-Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express LocalDB

-Microsoft SQL Server 2012 management Objects (x64)

-Microsoft System CLR Types for SQL Server 2012 (x64)

One the second application is installed the SQL Compact doesn't run anymore.  Any ideas on how to get these both running on the same machine?

Wednesday, December 16, 2020 2:05 PM

All replies

• hmm, what did you install really?

Cause the Veeam client does not install a SQL Server instance of any kind as far as I know.

Wednesday, December 16, 2020 3:08 PM
  • Hey, thanks for getting back to me.

I've confirmed with Veeam that the agent needs SQL express and the components listed above.  I have been testing on multiple VMs and I can confirm that it does install the above components.  l believe the culprit it the CLR types.  I've tried to stop the Veeam client and the SQL server but I think that once the components are installed, it breaks the Compact install.

Obviously, I can virtualize the app that requires SQL Compact 4.0 but since there are so many sites it is cost prohibitive.

I am going to try installing Veeam as admin then the other app as a user without admin rights to see if that will isolate them enough.

Any hint of what the conflict is would be helpful...at a loss here.

Thanks,

Wednesday, December 16, 2020 8:40 PM
  • You need to explain what "the SQL Compact doesn't run anymore" means.

SQL Server Compact is a completely different product, and does not use any of the components listed, but of course your app may, that is why you have to share some log error message.

Please mark as answer, if this was it. Visit my SQL Server Compact blog http://erikej.blogspot.com

• Proposed as answer by KHURRAM RAHIM Thursday, December 17, 2020 6:42 AM
    Thursday, December 17, 2020 6:08 AM