none
return to full license RRS feed

• Question

• greetings...  I am involved with several applications where the user base has been traditionally run-time.  apparently market forces are changing because a couple now have adopted 365 full license... its always been an accde file 

one key impact is that it brings the F11 key into play and we are talking apps where the users don't know Access at all, there is no ribbon - it's really not even known to be Access ....and so them getting to the tables & queries is never good....

I've disabled 'special keys' so the F11 isn't there for them....

one good thing about full license is the right click option to users - particularly in continuous forms where they can now sort/filter...

thought I would put this out there - if anyone is in this boat  plus interested in any other issues/feature differences in this scenario that I might not have thought about...

Friday, October 16, 2020 5:33 PM

All replies

• Hi

Well of course you can rename your ACCDE files to ACCDR but anyone who wishes to do so can reverse that.

You described having access to the right click context menu as a good thing but of course it also adds potential for insecurity. My personal advice is to always lock down your applications with no nav pane or ribbon available to end users plus additional security measures as are deemed appropriate to your individual apps.

In case it helps you or anyone else reading this thread, I wrote a lengthy 2 part article about improving security in Access databases. The second part includes details and an example app. See http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/improve-security-2/4594571073

• Edited by isladogs52 Tuesday, October 20, 2020 9:46 PM Activated link
    Friday, October 16, 2020 6:03 PM
  • thanks isla ...  accde, no nav pane, no special keys, no ribbon..

in this set up I don't see a right click feature/option that I would consider a security problem.... not seeing any way they can get to or alter a query, form, report and no direct entry into a table...

right click does offer them things like export to excel or pdf which isn't a part of the run-time experience, but that isn't a security issue per se....  but that's why I posted just to see if others know about something I may have missed....

Friday, October 16, 2020 7:54 PM
  • hello, i have the same problem right now... Thank for help !
    Friday, October 16, 2020 8:02 PM
  • Actually Export to Excel / PDF were exactly the type of feature that developers might want to be blocked especially for parts of the application containing sensitive data e.g. child protection info in a schools app

I'm sure you already cover this but I also ensure that Access Options cannot be accessed even if users re-enable the shift bypass externally.

I also block certain additional keyboard combinations not covered by 'special keys' settings e.g.Alt+F12, Ctrl+P ...etc, etc

• Edited by isladogs52 Saturday, October 17, 2020 4:08 PM
    Friday, October 16, 2020 9:25 PM
  • any 365 settings that would result in a slower response time?

one user group is reporting the form open times as unusually slow.... the only X factor in this case is back to full license 365..... nothing else has changed.....

Tuesday, October 20, 2020 2:04 PM
  • Not that I'm aware of ...though of course each new version of Access is less forgiving of code issues/errors than was the case with older versions. You didn't specify which runtime version was in use previously
    Tuesday, October 20, 2020 9:44 PM
  • Is looking like a transitory networking issue - as it has resolved itself.... and just coincidental to the change to full license....   

Tuesday, October 20, 2020 10:33 PM