none
ERROR: "User encryption settings in the VM model are not supported. Please upgrade Azure Disk Encryption extension version and clear encryption settings in the VM model." RRS feed

• Question

• We have many ARM VM's where the OS and Data disks are not encrypted. While attempting to resolve this, I'm running into an error. I created a new 'test' VM (Server 2016)... here is the error message.

Set-AzureRmVMDiskEncryptionExtension : User encryption settings in the VM model are not supported. Please upgrade Azure Disk 
    Encryption extension version and clear encryption settings in the VM model.
    ErrorCode: NotSupported
    ErrorMessage: User encryption settings in the VM model are not supported. Please upgrade Azure Disk Encryption extension version 
    and clear encryption settings in the VM model.
    StatusCode: 409
    ReasonPhrase: Conflict
    OperationID : 922ad57b-af01-43b7-ab24-c07f1947cc9e

Please help!

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 4:55 PM

All replies

• If you haven’t referred, refer the below troubleshooting documentation and let us know if you need any further assistance.

Troubleshooting Windows Server 2016 Server Core

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 6:28 PM
  • Checking in to see if the above response helped to answer your query. Let us know if there are still any additional issues we can help with.

Thursday, July 12, 2018 7:01 PM
  • Noticed this issue when trying to encrypt using Azure AD App, the solution is just to omit the AzureAD ClientID which is optional in the Azure CLI Command "az vm encryption enable..."

Hope this helps.

Saturday, November 3, 2018 2:10 PM
  • I am still having this issue, i uninstalled the Azure Disk Encryption Extension and receive this error when trying to reinstall. I noticed the machines I Have working are version 1.* and the broken ones had 2.*

How can I switch them to 1.*?

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 8:49 PM
  • Just for Clarification:  Have you referred to the Azure Disk Encryption troubleshooting guide

Please share the screen shot of the error message or error code if the issue still persist?

Additional information: Learn more info How to Set-AzureRmVMDiskEncryptionExtension

Note: Azure Disk Encryption requires that your key vault and VMs reside in the same Azure region and subscription. Configuring the resources in separate regions causes a failure in enabling the Azure Disk Encryption feature.

AzureRmVMDiskEncryptionExtension cmdlet can be used to encrypt managed disks by specifying the -skipVmBackup parameter. The Set-AzureRmVMDiskEncryptionExtension command will fail against managed disk based VMs until a backup has been made and this parameter has been specified.

The suggestions mentioned in this articlewill help you in this scenario.

Additional information: For more information you may also refer to the suggestion mentioned in here

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.

Thursday, January 10, 2019 9:36 AM