none
Object transfer error - An exception occurred in SMO. Value cannot be null. Parameter name: server RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hey folks, 

    I've used the transfer objects task with previous versions and never run into this issue, so any help would be much appreciated.

    When executing the transfer sql server objects task, I get the following errors and I'm unable to troubleshoot it.

    [Transfer SQL Server Objects Task] Error: Execution failed with the following error: "An exception occurred in SMO.".
    [Transfer SQL Server Objects Task] Error: Execution failed with the following error: "Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: server".

    Is this a bug in the current SSDT?


    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 4:05 PM

Answers

  • anyone? 
    down leveling the project SQL target from 2016 to 2017 worked for me

    • Proposed as answer by geslick777 Wednesday, April 25, 2018 4:34 PM
    • Edited by geslick777 Thursday, April 26, 2018 2:33 PM fixed typo
    • Marked as answer by dedbeat Monday, September 10, 2018 3:07 PM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2018 4:34 PM

All replies

  • anyone? 
    • Proposed as answer by geslick777 Wednesday, April 25, 2018 3:51 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by dedbeat Monday, September 10, 2018 3:07 PM
    Thursday, February 22, 2018 10:31 PM
  • did you figure this out? I'm having the same error on a simple sql transfer control flow
    Wednesday, March 21, 2018 5:58 PM
  • Ive just had the same problem. SSDT 2017.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2018 11:41 AM
  • anyone? 
    down leveling the project SQL target from 2016 to 2017 worked for me

    • Proposed as answer by geslick777 Wednesday, April 25, 2018 4:34 PM
    • Edited by geslick777 Thursday, April 26, 2018 2:33 PM fixed typo
    • Marked as answer by dedbeat Monday, September 10, 2018 3:07 PM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2018 4:34 PM
  • agreed. I had asked this question in multiple places and I answered it in one of them. If you mark the project to 2016 it works fine. I hope they solve this issue.

    • Proposed as answer by Nirav.Gandhi Monday, September 10, 2018 11:57 AM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2018 7:11 PM
  • I agreed. It's working for me. 
    Monday, September 10, 2018 11:57 AM
  • anyone? 

    down leveling the project SQL target from 2016 to 2017 worked for me

    Apply the following steps in order to accomplish the suggested solution:

    1. right click on the name of your project in the "Solution Explorer".

    2. go to the "properties" menu

    3. in the opened window titled "Deployment Property Pages", within the left-hand menu, drill down the "Configuration Properties" to the "General" attribute

    4. you'll see a tab titled "Deployment Target Version" on the right pane on the menu, there - choose "SQL Server 2016" 

    5. click "OK" and agree to all later refactoring request and you're done.

    • Proposed as answer by Alwweb Thursday, December 13, 2018 4:22 PM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2018 6:37 AM
  • ...worked for me too. SSDT 2017. Thanks.
    Friday, December 14, 2018 9:37 PM
  • This worked for me. Both my source and target is SQL Server version 17. Not sure why I need to do this, but happy it works.
    Saturday, February 9, 2019 7:53 PM