none
Excel Application-defined or object-defined error 32809

Question

• This error occurs on files that are received from outside our company network.

A file created on our company network, sent to customers (a technical questionnaire) who then complete and return them, no longer works correctly. This occurs when the file is sent by email or on a USB drive and is opened and then saved, even with no changes.

The Excel version is 2010 32 bit on Win8 64 bit machines

The error triggers in many different VBA sub routines on lines such as Sheets("Home").Select, and on lines in the immediate window such as Print Activesheet.name

Monday, January 19, 2015 6:31 PM

Answers

• Hello, 

Many users have run into this problem recently. This could be caused by an update for the Office application. Please take a look at this thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/473b1980-56b3-49ff-be71-3a60c0db048b/form-controls-stop-working-after-december-2014-updates?forum=excel

There's a probabability that the customers outside the corperate network had installed the update, so when they opened the workbook you created, it damage the workbook. Please try the solutions provided in the thread.

Also some users work around by adding some inconsequential comments after the Select method, or create a brand new workbook then copy the data and VBA code in it. 

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 3:40 PM

All replies

• Hello,

The workbook may be corrupt when opened by the Excel application on the other computer. You can try to open the files on many other computers and check if they all have the same problem.

In the mean while, check if there're any changes for the Trust Settings.

There's also a probability that you have installed some updates recently and this is caused by the updates. Take a look at this thread:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/84762af5-9120-470a-9206-086a83a3813c/runtime-error-32809?forum=exceldev

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:11 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

This is the same on all corporate computers, but still works (and can be modified and saved) o several machines outside the network.

I created a very simple workbook to prove the point. It has on single rectangle shape, which calls a macro to generate a textbox. This file is generated on our corporate network and works fine. It is then used outside the network, saved and returned, the same error occurs.

Sub Macro1()
    '
    ' Macro1 Macro
    '

'
        ActiveSheet.OLEObjects.Add(ClassType:="Forms.TextBox.1", Link:=False, _
            DisplayAsIcon:=False, Left:=274.5, Top:=111, Width:=60.75, Height:= _
            18.75).Select
    End Sub

I have tried all trust centre settings, copied and renamed sheets, but the issue still persists.

It's driving me crazy!

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:02 PM
  • Hello, 

Many users have run into this problem recently. This could be caused by an update for the Office application. Please take a look at this thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/473b1980-56b3-49ff-be71-3a60c0db048b/form-controls-stop-working-after-december-2014-updates?forum=excel

There's a probabability that the customers outside the corperate network had installed the update, so when they opened the workbook you created, it damage the workbook. Please try the solutions provided in the thread.

Also some users work around by adding some inconsequential comments after the Select method, or create a brand new workbook then copy the data and VBA code in it. 

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 3:40 PM
  • I have experienced much the same problem which I have documented in details here:

Excel Spreadsheet being opened in preview mode by some machines

(Note that I am only surmising the preview mode is the problem as I get the exact same error if I open it on the Development machine in preview mode).

My only workaround at the moment is to open the spreadsheet on the target machine and then replace the vba code and save the file locally (Copy Paste), or apply a digital certificate to the existing VBA code, although the latter only seems to work sometimes.

If I fix the problem on the target machine and then copy, open and close the file on the development machine when the file is sent back to the target machine the problem occurs again.

I have ruled out emailing being the problem as I have copied the file instead of emailing. 

The development machine had a number of Office applications and Windows 7 updates applied around the time that the problem occurred, i.e. one day everything is fine, the next day it is impossible to run a new spreadsheet on certain machines.

The highlighted error is also with a .select statement but I isolated the code and put it into a test spreadsheet and that ran okay so it seems to be a more subtle problem.

It doesn't happen on all the machines and I can't see any pattern as to what machines it works on and those it doesn't. They are mostly Windows 7 64bit running Office 2010 and 2013, seems to be about 50/50 split as to working and not working. 

I've ensured that the Windows Updates are up to date on all the problem machines.

I think it is the same problem and it helps knowing that someone else has experienced the same thing in order that I don't think I'm going crazy but it's a major problem for me and none of the suggestions so far seem to be close to explaining what is going on.

If anyone wants samples in order to investigate the problem I am more than happy to send them the spreadsheets. 

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 10:21 AM