none
Windows Update - The Following Updates were not Installed

Question

• The windows update shield continues to reside on the taskbar. Shows "Updates are ready for your computer"  When I click on the shield I'm asked to download the available updates. So I click download and it shows "Updates are ready for your computer.  I click install "Express option"  and I receive an error stating " The following updates were not installed" That continued to happen for the last two weeks.  I had to manually download updates from MS in order to be compliant with the lastest security updates.

How can I get these updates to install because the popup notice for these updates available are becoming annoying.  

Spec: Windows XP Pro SP2

Thanks

Saturday, July 28, 2007 5:02 PM

All replies

•  NumbNutts wrote:

The windows update shield continues to reside on the taskbar. Shows "Updates are ready for your computer"  When I click on the shield I'm asked to download the available updates. So I click download and it shows "Updates are ready for your computer.  I click install "Express option"  and I receive an error stating " The following updates were not installed" That continued to happen for the last two weeks.  I had to manually download updates from MS in order to be compliant with the lastest security updates.

How can I get these updates to install because the popup notice for these updates available are becoming annoying.  

Spec: Windows XP Pro SP2

Thanks

[I am having the some problem. I couldn't find any solution on MS knowledge database...Anybody!? Thanks]
    Sunday, August 05, 2007 9:19 AM
  • I am having the same problem and would love some help!

Windows XP Professional (32-bit)

Service Pack 2

Thx

Thursday, August 09, 2007 6:50 AM
  • Hello again,

I just did a bit of searching and found a fix that worked like a charm.  Turns out the problem occurred because I needed to re-install my Windows Update Agent.  Hopefully this fix will be helpful to you folks.

1) First, I created a folder in my C:\ drive called 'WUAGENT'.  Its address was:

C:\WUAGENT

I used this directory to store the Windows Update Agent file (see next step).

2) I went to the link below, and downloaded 'WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe' to my C:\WUAGENT directory:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

3) I opened the Command Prompt and forced a re-install of the Windows Update Agent with the following command:

C:\WUAGENT\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce

4) The re-install worked fine, and after that Windows Update worked perfectly.

I hope this is helpful.

Best regards,
    Matt

(Windows XP Pro, SP2)
    • Proposed as answer by i.A7med Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:15 AM
    Thursday, August 09, 2007 10:48 AM
  • I've got the same problem.  Tried to force install of wuagent and got a windows error of 0x8044d007.  any ideas?
    Friday, August 10, 2007 8:30 PM
  • Hello Matt,

Thanks for your fix. It worked partially well on 73 updates. However, there is one ("Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 2 (KB 921896)") that was not installed even after many tries! :-(

Regards,

Ozzy7
    Saturday, August 11, 2007 6:31 AM
  • I have been having the same problem myself. Whenever I select either the 'express' or the 'custom' option I am shown a number of updates with the message: "Download size (total): 0 KB * Estimated time at your connection speed: 0 minutes * (*Downloaded; ready to install)." However, when I click to install the updates, they do not install, returning the error message: "some updates were not installed." The installation summary page says "Failed Updates - For help installing an update successfully, see the solution under each problem description." However, there are no solutions under the problems or links to click on, and when I review the update history, the failed installations do not show up at all; all I see is the last successful installation on July 28 2007.

I tried Matt-F's fix and it did not solve the problem. I stopped automatic updates and restarted the service to no avail. I've also tried restoring the system to points in time prior to the last successful update, re-registering the dlls, and using dial-a-fix to fix windows update and windows installer, but this did not solve the problem. Does anyone have any other ideas for me to try?

Saturday, August 11, 2007 11:51 PM
  • Wonderful! The forced re-install seemed to fix the problem.  Thanks gang.    

Monday, August 13, 2007 5:10 PM
  • Thank you Mr. Matt.

You fixed my computer!
    Wednesday, August 15, 2007 4:15 PM
  • I have been searching for days for a solution to fix my issue.  Tried reinstalling SP2, validating windows license, and even reinstalling the updater (through windows update, which of course, 'could not be installed".  This standalone, forced reinsatll did the trick!  Thanks so much.
    Tuesday, August 21, 2007 5:45 PM
  • Please make sure that when you type in the command prompt

"C:\WUAGENT\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce"

there is one space between

"C:\WUAGENT\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe"

and

"/wuforce"

Since I could not copy and paste it I typed it into the command prompt but it did not work, when I took a closer look I noticed that there is a space as mentioned above and when I tried for the second time it worked perfectly.

good luck.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 5:57 AM
  •  Ozzy7 wrote:
    Hello Matt,

Thanks for your fix. It worked partially well on 73 updates. However, there is one ("Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 2 (KB 921896)") that was not installed even after many tries! :-(

Regards,

Ozzy7

Something that has helped me in the past is deleting the c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download to force the updates being downloaded again. If that doesn't work you can try deleting c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution as a whole. (please create a back-up of it somewhere because i don't know if there is usefull stuff in there that won't get recreated)

Thursday, August 23, 2007 6:57 AM
  •  

Wooo Hooo, Thanks Matt, this fix worked well.
    Thursday, August 23, 2007 7:47 PM
  • Thanks Matt, It worked for me perfectly !!!

Thursday, August 30, 2007 6:58 AM
  •  

This was very useful

I also deleted the file $hf_mig$ befor running the foced reinstall.

I also delete the $Uunstall****** files as well.

I mean lets face it once the updates are in who's going to uninstall them unless one or more causes a problem.

Sunday, September 02, 2007 7:22 PM
  •  

Hi, I am having the same problem with updates,,,,I got the file downloaded, how do I FORCE INSTALL,,,where to I type the command?

Thanks

Monday, September 03, 2007 10:45 PM
  • I am having the same problem and tried the forced reinstall.  Everything is working fine except the install of: "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 2 (KB 921896)"

Any ideas??

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 11:51 AM
  • MATT, YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!! I have spent the better part of two days trying to figure this out. I finally stumbled upon this thread and I can't thank you enough for the great advice. When I tried it the first time it didn't work and I was ready to toss my laptop out the window but then I saw a reply here from someone that said they'd tried it a second time and it worked for them. I decided I'd give it another try before giving up and going back to my search for a solution. Although it appeared I had typed it all in correctly the first time there must have been something wrong in it. I typed it in again from scratch it worked perfectly. I was able to get all my Microsoft Updates finally. I cannot tell you how beautiful it was to see each of those 84 updates sail through with 'done!' after each one. YOU ROCK! I think I'll name my first born after you.

Brian

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 5:00 PM
  •  

Thank you, Matt!!!

Spent whole day with this problem. Finaly found your fix which helped!

Thursday, September 06, 2007 2:58 PM
  • Hello....

I have tried everything on this thread....no luck!....I could not copy the "SoftwareDistrabution" file or "back-up" because something was being used. So I did not delete it. I also did not understand the two files that someone deleted....Anyway...need more ideas....

Thanks in advanced....

Friday, September 14, 2007 12:47 AM
  • Matt does totally rock (and not just becuase my name is also Matt)!  Completely resolved it for me.  Thanks again!

Saturday, September 15, 2007 10:31 PM
  • Brilliant !!! I have been trying to fix this problem all day... What I can't understand is why MS have no mention of this fix. Anyway Thanks HEAPS.

Regards

Crossy

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 2:18 AM
  • Thank you!!! Thank you!!! Thank you!!!

The kids' laptop was corrupted by a virus which apparently also corrupted the Update Routine.

Your fix worked PERFECTLY!!!!!!

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 5:19 PM
  •  

Had the same problem where the updates just kept recycling and never completed.  Tried about 10 different things before I found Matt-F's fix.  Matt-F RULES!!!!!!
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 5:28 PM
  • Thank you Thank you Thank you

I've spent several hours looking for a fix to problems with windows update and despite numerous searches this solution is the best solution.   I am surprised this is not listed on the main MS site with the caption look no where else.   Thank you you are a life saver. 

Once the update has been done can you remove the WUAGENT folder? 

I also note that as of today the agent updated itself right away.  Is there a place in MS land where you can download the actual current agent which is entirely up to date?

Thursday, September 20, 2007 4:14 AM
  • Thank you, Matt. 11 out of 78 failed first time, but they all succeeded after reboot. Much obliged.

Thursday, September 20, 2007 5:11 AM
  • excellent matt go to the yop of the class worked fine after pulling my hair out for days good man

regards paul

Monday, September 24, 2007 12:09 PM
  • Thank you it worked perfect

Saturday, September 29, 2007 1:52 AM
  • wuforce fixed all updates without one. I don't know why it did not fix this one but all other 80.. Thanks for the help!

Matt-F wrote:

Hello again,

I just did a bit of searching and found a fix that worked like a charm.  Turns out the problem occurred because I needed to re-install my Windows Update Agent.  Hopefully this fix will be helpful to you folks.

1) First, I created a folder in my C:\ drive called 'WUAGENT'.  Its address was:

2) I went to the link below, and downloaded 'WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe' to my C:\WUAGENT directory:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

3) I opened the Command Prompt and forced a re-install of the Windows Update Agent with the following command:

I hope this is helpful.

Best regards,
    Matt

(Windows XP Pro, SP2)
    Saturday, September 29, 2007 8:35 PM
  • Thanks Matt

I was going crazy trying to get a laptop to run any updates.

Thursday, October 11, 2007 6:34 PM
  • I can't seem to re-install the Update Agent. It says "Install is not needed since Windows Update Agent is already installed."
    Anyone else get this?

Monday, October 15, 2007 9:36 AM
  • After searching for a solution for weeks I was delighted that your solution worked so well. Thanks Matt

Monday, October 22, 2007 8:28 PM
  • Many thanks Matt-f, it worked for me too. After weeks searching the web. MS help was not much 'Help' yours worked 1st time.
    Best Regards, Brian
    Thursday, November 01, 2007 1:34 PM
  • Thanks Matt,

Have been trying to solve the problem of XP not installing updates on my new PC for the last couple of weeks, found and tried your WUAGENT fix last night and it worked like a charm, well done.

Jon.

Monday, November 12, 2007 5:19 AM
  • This worked Great.  Thank ya much.

Sunday, December 09, 2007 8:20 PM
  • YAY I love Matt-F

I have been in denial about the share magnitude of my annoying 'no update' situation.   Thanks to you. ALL FIXED. Now....I want your babies!

Cheers - you rock!

Saturday, December 15, 2007 7:27 AM
  • Hello Mr. Matt. you are THE MAN Smile it is the relive when the problem is solved, and you did it for so many of us Thank you again and God bless you !!!!!

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 5:22 AM
  • I have the same problem,no able to update before were ok now I don't know

please help  me to resolve this problem

Thankyou

tnyjua

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 5:29 PM
  •  Matt-F wrote:

Hello again,

I hope this is helpful.

Best regards,
    Matt

(Windows XP Pro, SP2)

Thought I would re-post Matt's fix so the next folks won't have to look for it back on the first page of the thread.  I ran the fix just as Matt described and made sure that my syntax was correct as I typed in the command at the command prompt.  If there is any error in typing in the command, the fix will not work.  I also rebooted after the Windows Update Agent was installed prior to letting any updates install.  After the reboot, all updates (80 of them) installed just fine.  After another reboot required by the updates, 9 more updates installed and required another reboot.  One more update installed requiring yet another reboot. My Windows XP Pro is now up to date and running fine.  Thanks, Matt, for saving me hours of research!! 

Thursday, January 03, 2008 7:57 PM
  •   To Matt-F

Thank you for your advice is working perfectly above all, space between WindowdsUpdateAgent30-86.exe /Wforce

Thank you very much

tnyjua

Saturday, January 05, 2008 1:15 AM
  • I am having the same problem.Have you found a solution to it?

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 2:04 PM
  • Hello Matt,

I had to reply after trying your fix for the update installer. 
    It worked great!  Because I have the installer set to automatic
    update, I didn't realize how many updates that were not
    downloaded to my computer, and some of them were

critical.  There were 87 updates that needed to be
    downloaded to my computer.

The automatic update thing is nice, but from now on,
    I am not going to rely on it,
    completely.

Regards,

Debbie

Saturday, January 12, 2008 1:26 AM
  • Brilliant! Thanx Matt.

Saturday, January 12, 2008 4:27 PM
  • Thank you sir. This post saved my IT career. My hat is off to you, outstanding.

Monday, January 21, 2008 4:11 PM
  • Your solution worked for me also.  I had to perform a "repair" and ran into a NET 2 error.  After reinstalling NET 2 I had then experienced the problem described above. 

Thanks.

Monday, January 21, 2008 10:29 PM
  •  

Worked perfectly for my Brazilian PT Windows. Thank You!
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 2:40 AM
  •  

Matt-F, thanks a lot dude.  I too read this thread....and tried the steps a couple of times. I got it and it worked.

Thanks.....

kevin

Friday, January 25, 2008 8:01 PM
  • Matt, worked like a charm on my desktop but my laptop kept giving me the following Application Error:

"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0150004). Click on OK to terminate the application."

... which I of course do. I've deleted the files others have posted, re-booted, and tried numerous times. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Monday, January 28, 2008 3:20 AM
  • Hi Matt,

Thanks!

My problem has now been solved.

Regards,

Decker.

Monday, January 28, 2008 10:19 PM
  • Tried Mr. Matts idea, even rebooted.  I get "The following updates were not installed:" Update for Windows XP (KB898461) Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)  This is the second PC I have seen this error on.  One on a reloaded PC (From OEM Dell Disk) second from Brand New Optiplex 755 Dell Computer.  I hav also tried deleting the Software Distribution Folder in c:\windows\system32, Automatic Updates creates a new one, however, I still get the same error.  Any ideas would be helpful.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 5:07 PM
  • Hey Matt-F

You're a LEGEND....!!!

Thanks for the advise you saved my b*tt

Cheers

Thell666

Friday, February 08, 2008 9:43 AM
  • Another thank you from me, re-installing the updater did the trick.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 8:26 AM
  • Matt-F, thanks a ton... this saved me a great deal of work.  I just could not figure out why these were not being installed and after deleting the source files several times, I started installing them one at a time and thought this was crazy, let's try one more search, sure enough, here was your result.

Thanks again!

Friday, February 29, 2008 4:48 PM
  • I followed the instructions posted but got a message that the update agent wasn't installed since it already exists. 

Previously when I tried to download updates from Microsoft I was told I had to use Internet Explorer.  I can't get that to work either.

How do I uninstall the update agent so I can reinstall it with the new download?
    Sunday, March 02, 2008 7:24 PM
  • Thanks a lot for the solution Matt.....I have the same issue, which helped me in getting the updates....Smile

Thanks,

Krish

Monday, March 10, 2008 2:13 PM
  •  lottoloser wrote:
    I followed the instructions posted but got a message that the update agent wasn't installed since it already exists. 

[quote user "limefrogpunk"] I can't seem to re-install the Update Agent. It says "Install is not needed since Windows Update Agent is already installed."
    Anyone else get this?

I love the wonderful praise that the amazing MATT is receiving However the above question has been asked twice and ignored!...

My Computer Died and I had to do a repair installation... but I now have 89 updates that refuse to install!!..

I have been tearing my hair out for three days now trying to get them to install MicroCRAP are absolutely useless in all their "Help" (their word for totally confuse the Customer)

I downloaded the update agent.. and received the message  "Install is not needed since Windows Update Agent is already installed."  (I really hate MicroCRAP)

So I then tried to enter the given instruction in Command Prompt  C:\WUAGENT\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce (being careful to leave the space as instructed) ... BUT MicroCRAP informed me that

"The system cannot find the path specified"

HAS ANYBODY ANY SUGGESTIONS WHERE TO LOOK NEXT PLEASE???

John Surprise)

Monday, April 14, 2008 4:55 PM
  • yes ,I have the same problem also . says "install is not needed:

Friday, April 18, 2008 3:41 PM
  • I have exactly THE SAME PROBLEM...Matt s fix may help many but I keep getting the message that  I don't need it (the download)    The yellow sheild says all but 3  downloads have been installed , but widows updater say NONE have been installed

12 failed downloads.....and what is  SP3 ?? I thought SP 2 was the end of all this .....any ideas  PLEASE EMAIL ME
    Sunday, April 20, 2008 10:17 PM
  • samme as lottoloser , I get  It says  "Install is not needed since Windows Update Agent is already installed."

NOW  WHAT ??

Monday, April 21, 2008 1:10 PM
  • MR, Matt-F 

This is really awsome, man. It just worked great even without restarting. Thanks again

Sunday, April 27, 2008 3:31 PM
  •  Matt-F wrote:

Hello again,

I hope this is helpful.

Best regards,
    Matt

(Windows XP Pro, SP2)

hey matt while this has worked for a lot of peeps it did'nt work for me mate.

so do you have any other solutions for me to try please...

thanx in advance....

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 12:07 PM
  •  

As  Matt said, "I just did a bit of searching and found a fix that worked like a charm."

Here is the Microsoft page he found:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Try both solutions. Smile

If you still cannot update windows because you cannot install the windows genuine advantage tool try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917499/en-us

Still no solution? Try getting your windows validated online here:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.aspx?displaylang=en

Sunday, May 11, 2008 12:36 PM
  • A quick word of thanks to Matt for providing the fix for this problem.  I just had my hard drive replaced (old one failed), and I have been slowly restoring old programs.  I encountered the same error message one day after the HD fix; following Matt's directions resolved the problem.  Thanks Matt!!
    Saturday, May 17, 2008 6:34 PM
  • Matt,

Thanks for your help! That saved me a TON of Time!

-TimJ

Matt-F wrote:

Hello again,

<snip>

I hope this is helpful.

Best regards,
    Matt

(Windows XP Pro, SP2)
    Tuesday, May 20, 2008 4:13 PM
  • Hi Matt & All,

Matt, you da man!

This worked well for me.  I didn't start having the problem until I installed XP SP3.  So I'm posting so that everyone knows it works for that too.  Must do the force.  I missed that in the original instructions and had to do it again.

All the best,

Ralph

(Windows XP Pro SP3)

Sunday, May 25, 2008 1:10 PM
  • I am having the same problem but with wondows vista.  I tried to fix it your way but when i clicked in the link it says the wuagent is already installed.  Please help very desperate.

Sunday, May 25, 2008 11:13 PM
  • MATT !!!

You ARE the MAN !!!

Not only did your fix work perfectly, but your instructions are very clear and to the point.

Excellent !!!

Not sure what's going on with my computers these days but several of them recently developed this problem. I installed XP SP3 which installed many of the older updates but still could not get Windows Update to install any of the new ones coming out.  They would save to my disk, but not install.

Thanks again.

Jay

Friday, June 06, 2008 3:11 AM
  • Matt, You are the bomb!!!

I had this problem searched on "The Following Updates were not Installed"  found your force update for the Windows Update Agent and everything is fine now.

I'm glad there are people like you in this world!!!!  I give you 5 stars for the post!

Bob
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:30 PM
  • On August 9, 2007, MattF said:

THIS WAS VERY HELPFUL!  It worked, whether other methods had not.

Thank you for posting, MattF.

Friday, June 13, 2008 5:51 PM
  • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
    Saturday, June 14, 2008 8:18 PM
  • yes yes yes....  thank you thank you.... it worked for me too.... Smile
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 2:42 AM
  •  

Awsome Matt- This is now working like champ!!! Thanks a lot..

Regards

ppr78

XP Pro, SP3

Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:42 PM
  •  

Thanx Matt-F! It really worked for me too. Fantstic! I'd been having that problem for a couple of days and everything seemed worthless, when I found your post and the things got fine again! Thank you very much again!
    Saturday, June 21, 2008 8:27 AM
  • Forced re-install of update agent worked a treat for me = many thanks!!!!!!

Monday, June 23, 2008 3:03 PM
  • Thanks Matt, It worked for me perfectly !!!

Chew da man!

Monday, June 23, 2008 7:26 PM
  • i had the same issue and i did the force install like Matt recommended, and issue resolved.

my issue i believe started because i installed xp sp3 when those updtes were downloaded.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 8:44 AM
  • Good job. It works.

Thank you Matt.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 8:34 PM
  • Thanks, worked perfect for me too...

Like a quick and easy fix. Excellent!!!

Sleepz

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 11:07 AM
  • A combination of forcing a wu re-install and removing the SoftwareDistribution folder worked great here.  I't amazing that this thread has been open do long and so many people have found a way to fix another MS issue, when they haven't themselves!

Many thanks to Matt and others.

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 6:55 PM
  •  

When I had this problem I too found the KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144 that describes the fixeS.  Everybody here is doing the windows update forced re-install method, but I tried the other (quicker) method first (stoping the WU service, re-registering the WU dll, and restarting the service). Worked great for me. You too may want to try that method first.  If it works it is probably much quicker than the re-install method. If it doesn't, you've only lost about a minute.  See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144 for details on both methods to fix.  Good luck~
    Tuesday, July 08, 2008 4:17 PM
  • Many thanks DeeTron, I have saved your solution to my documents folder for future reference, also printed it out!

Sunday, July 13, 2008 9:01 AM
  • Hi Matt,

I had the same problem for the past couple of months after I upgraded my XP Pro to SP3. It was really annoying to keep on failing with all the updates and I was just about to reinstall the whole windows, but thanks to your tips the problem went away and I managed to download an install all the updates that were in the que for my machine. Many thanks, you deserve a gift from Microsoft for helping out their customers!!

Sunday, July 13, 2008 9:31 AM
  • Method 1 of KB 943144, "Register the Wups2.dll file in Windows" worked great for me.  I first encountered the problem after I upgraded to SP3, but I'm good to go now.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 3:52 PM
  • Hi guys

I have been reading all the threads and i must say i have tried ALL the methods. wuforce and the *.dll method and still nothing works Sad(. The updates are security updates for excel and word, outlook etc. I must have tried the force install 4 times and the *.DLL way another 3. So i am STUCK.

OS

Windows XP Pro, SP3, P4 3GHz, 1.5GB RAM

If anyone can help i would appreciate it alot. Thank you and cheers for all the posts.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:38 PM
  • Wooooooooo, Hhhhhhhhha its working and thanks a lot Matt.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 4:45 PM
  • Another satisfied customer, thanks.

Nick
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 10:15 AM
  • worked for me too

i had to restart my computer, got an error when trying to update, tried from within help & support and got a different error. tried again - almost gave up, but then it worked!!

Thursday, July 31, 2008 8:48 PM
  • thank u matt-f.  u were great. god bless u. u have solved my problem!! 

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 1:41 AM
  • 1. Click on Start and then click Run,
    2. In the open field type "REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.
    3. When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in WUAPI.DLL succeeded" message,click OK.
    4. Please repeat these steps for each of the following commands:

REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
    REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
    REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
    REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
    REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
    REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
    REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL

This option worked for me to complete Windows Update after upgrading to Windows XP SP3
    Wednesday, August 06, 2008 4:33 PM
  •  Matt-F wrote:

Hello again,

I hope this is helpful.

Best regards,
    Matt

(Windows XP Pro, SP2)

I had to do this and delete the softwaredistribution folder.

It worked though. Smile
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 4:12 PM
  • Thanks Matt. That worked perfectly for me. After I installed the Windows Update Agent files and went to the Windows update web page, a new version of the Windows update first installed and then the updates installed.

Thanks. It worked great.

Ned

Friday, August 15, 2008 12:47 AM
  • Does this work with windows service pak 3?  I downloaded service pak 3 yet my computer keeps looking for updates.  When I try to install them they show the message that the updates were not installed, as in the previous emails.

By the way I had no problems installing service pack 3 and the update history shows that these were installed???

Advide,

Srodri

Friday, August 15, 2008 4:30 AM
  •  

worked like a champ! thx!
    Saturday, August 16, 2008 9:19 PM
  • WONDERFUL, this worked, thank you MATT. *****
    Sunday, August 17, 2008 4:41 PM
  • i know this post is old (alomst a year) but just developed this prob and this soulution worked fine

thank u mat

Monday, August 18, 2008 10:01 PM
  • Thanks a bunch Matt - fix works great
    Friday, August 29, 2008 2:10 PM
  • I tried uninstalling net 2.0

Tuesday, September 02, 2008 1:53 AM
  • Here is another work around for those who didn't get things working with Matt-f's fix.  I had the same issue on two new computers.  I believe it happens when upgrading to Windows sp3.

Run the following command (click on Start, run)  Be sure to leave a space between the 2 w.

regsvr32 wups2.dll

Hope this helps.

Thursday, September 04, 2008 9:39 PM
  • SUPERB!! TYVM!

Sunday, September 07, 2008 6:35 AM
  • Worked great!! Thanks!

Sunday, September 07, 2008 6:50 PM
  • Works like a charm - thanks!

Friday, September 12, 2008 9:08 AM
  •  Matt-F wrote:

It worked perfect.

After I have installed this package the Windows update site installed another (older) version again but now it works perfect again.

Thx

Martin

(Windows XP Pro, SP3)

Friday, September 12, 2008 8:39 PM
  • BEAUTY - did the download, cut and pasted  your command line into the "run" window, it ran and so do my updates! genius

Monday, September 22, 2008 5:41 PM
  • hi mat dont know if u still receive these notifications but i did that on 18 Aug 2008 10:01,well it has turned off again followed your ins and it worked again,my question is how often does this happen??

o yes thanks in adv......paul

Monday, September 29, 2008 9:14 PM
  • A bit late to the game here but you should be able to past fine in the command prompt box. Just right click and you will see Edit as an option and then under that Paste. Use it all the time and it works great :-)

HTH

Chuck

Monday, October 20, 2008 4:58 PM
  • I am positive that it would work except for the fact that this computer does not allow C:\ directory to write to.
    Everything I do goes to C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner.  So, I did all of the above in that directory, and it did not work.
    I had to do a Recovery because of a surge sometime during Friday night, and all of my settings were saved.  But, I can download updates (95 of them), but they will not install. 
    It happened last year and Microsoft support sent all kinds of fixes that don't work now.
    If you or anyone has any kind of help, I will be so grateful.  I DO NOT want to wipe the hard drive and reinstall the system.
    Windows XP Home
    512 RAM
    Compaq 2+ years old
    Internet Explorer 6 was installed but disappeared and of course I can not install IE7  Don't care.  I use Firefox exclusively with Opera as second browser.
    Firewall ZA Pro will not install without MS updates.
    HELP PLEASE before I take an axe to the CPU
    Thanks in advance.
    Monday, October 27, 2008 2:39 PM
  • Well I thought I was having the same problem so I tried Matt's fix but I kept getting the same error message "The following updates were not installed" (Office - 2003 Service Pack 3, Update for Microsoft Office Outlook Junk Email Filter and Update for Office 2003).  On a whim I checked my System configuration found that Service Pack 3 is installed so it appears my problem is that Windows Updater does not recognize that the updates are installed and keeps trying to reinstall them.  How do I get Windows to quit trying to reinstall the updates?

Thank you,

Ken

Sunday, November 09, 2008 4:14 PM
  • i have the same problem but im running windows xp home sp2, i tried matt's suggestion but unfortunatly it did not work. would it be diffrent for home edition?

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 6:14 PM
  • Hi folks,

I see a few of you mentioning a problem with installation of updates to Microsoft SQL components.

(I manage a Windows Update server for my employer, and ran into this with quite a few of the company's thousands of computers).

Question numero uno is usually "Where did it come from? I don't remember installing it?" In part, knowing this would probably have led you to the answer yourself :) The second question, obviously - "How do I make the update work?" - is then more easily answered.

Essentially, what you need to do to fix this is find out what software installed it, and then make sure that software isn't running when you do the update. Updates for SQL can stop SQL itself, as long as nothing else is trying to use it at the same time.

Stating the obvious, but you'll need admin rights to fix this

Where did it come from? ("it" being perhaps MS SQL Server 2005 Express, or MSDE, or siimiilar program)

A lot of software needs some form of datastore, and this product does it well (allegedly) so many people use it.

• On your computer, go to
      • Windows XP/2000: Click Start, then click Run
      • Vista users: Click the Start button, then go to the "Start Search" box
    • Type "appwiz.cpl" (without the quotes)
      • Windows XP/2000 users: Click Ok or hit Enter on the keyboard
      • Vista users: Right-click on the entry yoiu should now see in the program menu, called appwiz.cpl, and select "Run as administrator"
    • This opens Add/Remmove programs. Look for an entry with "SQL" in the name. There may well be more than one, as this software is normally separated into different parts
    • Importantly, look for one with a name like "MSSQL$<something or other>". This should be a clue to what software you have that uses SQL. You'll then want to find out how to disable that software for the duration of the update.

How do I make the update work?

Some ways of doing this are outlined here. Follow this at your own risk - I can't exhaustively cover everything, but I'll try to cover my own ____ at least :) If something's using SQL or your PC, it's likely either a startup program, or a service. Try these:

• Close any programs open on your desktop, as one of these may be the culprit
    • Look in your System Tray, next to the clock in your Taskbar, and stop or disable everything running there with the exception of anti-virus software. (Apart from being unwise, anti-virus products don't use SQL, on client computers, anyway!). One of these items is probably connecting to the SQL Express instance. Try the update install again.
    • Open up services.msc (like above, either click Start and Run, or use the "Start Search" box, then type services.msc and either click Ok or right-click and "Run as administrator")
    • Stop any services that aren't Windows programs (and are not anti-virus). You may need to use a search engine to find out what each service is. Try the install again

Right, I feel like I've typoed way too much, so I'm stopping there. Hope this helps someone out there get over this very annoying "feature" of software inter-dependence.

Best of luck...

Stevie Lamb
    Thursday, March 05, 2009 6:09 PM
  • Two other aspects of Windows Update to consider are the folder "\Windows\SoftwareDistribution" and the log file "\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log". These may be emptied, with the folder resetting your updates and the later allowing you to isolate error messages that may be helpful. You could backup these folders by moving them to your desktop to be safe, but I've confirmed (and seen on Microsoft's site at "http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/822798") that you may delete them.

You need to open your administrative control panel "services" and stop "Automatic Updates", then remove (or relocate) these items, then restart the service "Automatic Updates".

Avoiding menus, which vary per setup, the following steps should work:

1. Start -> Run "services.msc" (Start->All Programs->Accessories->Run in Vista)
    2. Right "Automatic Updates" and select "stop".
    3. Start -> Run "%systemroot%"
    4. Move "WindowsUpdate.log" and "SoftwareDistribution" to desktop.
        - moving the log is just to reduce clutter, so the new file will have less to search (not required).
    5. Back in services right "Automatic Updates" and select "start".
    -- then Matt's items --
    6. Make a folder "C:\WUAGENT" (any location/name can be used). Download into it:
       - http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe
       - better yet, read "http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104" and get the proper file there.
    7. Start -> Run "C:\WUAGENT\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce".
       - note: this failed for me if the "Automatic Updates" service was stopped.
    8. In IE run "Tools -> Windows Updates" - perhaps a few times as it rebuilds update stuff.

With removal of the SoftwareDistribution folder, the update system will start over on many tasks. This will have a number of effects, very much like forcing a reinstall may. Not the least of these might be that a damaged "download" would be downloaded again and might work properly.

If you still have problems, reviewing of the log file \Windows\WindowsUpdate.log might shed light. Or, posting relevent parts of that file might help others help you.

Note that updating of a part of the system will be dependent on that part of the system working right. Windows update appears to manage the updates, but the actual update appear relegated to the component being udpated - and thus sometimes results in cryptic messages back to windows update.

For example, relevant to the Office problems seen here, my error "Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB978551)." following a fresh install of office 2003 augmented by a update with downloaded office SP 3, turned out to be that I had moved the installation folder used to install office. When I launched Word, it complained it could not "install" the rest of it for the current logged in user, and that drew my attention. My issue updating office was that office was having issue, not that windows update had issues. Restoring the install folder and getting Word working solved my issues. So, consider what you are updating. As another example, Stevie Lamb's SQL notes talk about having to stop services (again, about what is being updated and not Windows Update itself).
    • Edited by csmwww Sunday, December 20, 2009 12:44 AM very minor typos
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 12:43 AM
  • RE MS SQL Server 2005 Express Edition:

I had the experience here at work, using our Windows Server Updates Services server, whereby EVERY computer which detected this patch as required failed to install it. The issue seems to be that it can't stop the SQL services when patching. This is probably because whatever program installed SQL Express is actually using it at the same time you try to patch it.

The solution was to manually download and install the standalone version of this patch. This worked on every machine here. You could also try to identify which program(s) might be using your SQL Express, but it's not always easy; sometimes the service name, or the entry in Add/Renmove Programs will give you a clue.

So, if you're having this problem, download the patch to your computer, and install it.

If it still fails, sorry(!) however at least you're more likely to get a meaningful error message you can then research further.

Hope this helps...
    Stevie Lamb
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 1:21 PM
  • I have found in "Services MSC" that "Background Intelligence Transfer Services" must be set on "Started/Automatic" in order for "Microsoft Updates" to work.

Jack J Ammann Jr   jack@ammann.com  

Friday, March 19, 2010 4:14 PM
  • HI Matt,

Any reason this would NOT work on Windows XP Tablet PC Edition?

Thank you in advance.

Best,

E

Thursday, October 07, 2010 12:09 PM
  • Hi Matt,

This fix also works fine for Windows XP Tablet PC Edition. No Problem.

Thank you again!

Cheers,

E

Thursday, October 07, 2010 2:58 PM
  • Hello again,

I just did a bit of searching and found a fix that worked like a charm.  Turns out the problem occurred because I needed to re-install my Windows Update Agent.  Hopefully this fix will be helpful to you folks.

I hope this is helpful.

Best regards,
    Matt

(Windows XP Pro, SP2)

It's quite useful, Thanks for your explanation!

Hello Matt,

Thanks for your fix.

Sameer

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 6:54 AM
  • I don't know whether someone still looks into this problem or not, I noticed a slight change in the suggestions due to technology developments (tabletpc 2010). 

However, this problem still appears to be a big problem amongst many PC users. 

I have upgraded my Vista to 7 about 2 years ago, and recently I came up with this very same problem. I only have a couple of updates to do:

*Security Update for Microsoft Office Groove 2007 (KB2552997)

*Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 (KB2583910)

Not only that, my pc keeps on bothering me for more than a week asking me for a restart so it can finish the updates (2) which I believe are the updates that keep on failing to update. 

I would really appreciate some help on this, as I am really getting tired of this whole situation.

Many thanks!
    _Manu 

Friday, September 23, 2011 12:47 PM