none
Macro recorder - XP and Windows 7

Question

• I am looking for recommendations for a macro recorder that will let me do the following:

record a series of keystrokes and mouse in an 'intelligent' manner as opposed to being based on screen position - example: I want to open a series of program shortcuts on a desktop in a certain order and  I want the macro to open them regardless if the icons are not in the same position each time I run the macro

I want to be able to make the macro a desktop shortcut not just a hot key - so I click on a desktop shortcut and the macro runs

I want the macro to be editable directly - i.e. I want to see the code behind the macro and be able to edit it

Recommendations from anybody?
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 7:41 AM

Answers

All replies

• Sorry your question is off-topic here. This is not a software publish forum as people don't post here when they release a new product. You don't exactly call Microsoft customer support and ask a product that they did not write. If you are looking to publish software, normally you would go to a download web site, as that's where people promote their software. 

This forum is for people who need help writing software themselves. If you want to write one, take a look at journal mouse & keyboard hook in Windows SDK. Promoting software here is often considered spam and risks banning from Microsoft forums. 

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 6:09 PM
  • I never asked for help programming. This is the first line of my post:

"I am looking for recommendations for a macro recorder that will let me do the following:"

So I am looking for recommendations for a macro recorder and I provided an example of the king of thing I might want to do with it. This is a request for advice on a tool - a macro recorder. Windows used to include a macro recorder. If you can't recommend a macro recorder and this is not the forum for asking for people who could recommend one which forum  is the correct one?

Sunday, March 06, 2011 12:53 AM
  • Try the Windows Program forum on answers.microsoft.com.

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Sunday, March 06, 2011 1:35 AM
  • I will try the Windows Program forum you recommended. Is there no forum on this site?
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 12:59 AM
  • no, microsoft intentially put consumer forum so they don't get confused by forums for the same product but for different functionalities. for example the ie forum on answers is about using ie, the ie forum on technet is for deploying and managing ie in cooperative networks, and the ie forum here is for writing ie addons and ie aware web sites. making forums focused would benefit the forum itself in search results, which is where must forum readers get their answers without asking.

Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 5:06 AM
  • Ok, I have searched for "Windows Program forum" in the search box and did not come up with anything. Can you please perhaps give me the exact forum link.

Thanks.

Saturday, March 26, 2011 7:52 PM
  • i am looking for the same thing as arlesterc...easy way to record a series of mouse clicks for windows 7...i downloaded a free trial of hp loadrunner but it says in the docs that its vu gen recorder only works with 32-bit systems so i am out of luck
    Monday, April 25, 2011 3:46 AM
  • because my system is 64-bit...i am doing this for myself, not anybody else...thanks for the suggestion though
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:10 AM
  • Can not 32 bit apps work in 64 bit?  Aren't there some settings for this, just like for running DOS programs in Windows 7?
    Monday, May 09, 2011 7:58 PM
  • Any further input?
    • Marked as answer by arlesterc Friday, December 02, 2011 4:39 AM
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 7:35 AM
  • I had the same question. Windows (long time ago) used to have a keystroke macro record/playback utility.

I found the same thing for free here: http://freelabs.info/MacroRecorder.aspx 

Sunday, October 14, 2012 6:13 PM
  • Ok, I have searched for "Windows Program forum" in the search box and did not come up with anything. Can you please perhaps give me the exact forum link.

Thanks.

i suggested the Windows Program forum on answers.microsoft.com. You did not go there it seems. The search box naturally only search contents in this forum which would have a lot of off-topic content.

Visual C++ MVP

Sunday, October 14, 2012 8:50 PM
  • Quick Quiz.

Is Sheng Jiang;

A) Useless?

B) So unfamiliar with english as to be useless?

C) Maliciously awkward and therefore (you guessed it) useless?

Thursday, July 18, 2013 1:05 PM
  • Read http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#forum to get a hint on how to choose a forum on the internet. Even on Q&A sites that does not employ a forum structure like Stackoverflow, this question would be closed as off-topic and move to SuperUser.

If you think I am malicious, yes I am malicious in the sense that I won't give out the answer even when I happen to know an answer. You may not like "wrong number" as the answer, but that is the honest answer and people find the rejection helpful by saving their time. "Yes we do that" is salesman talking, you don't really want to waste your time here if you need help in shopping software. We are software programmers, we write software for a living. We would not regularly go buy software (I just wrote a program yesterday to save my company $5000 in software purchases). 

Visual C++ MVP

Thursday, July 18, 2013 2:45 PM
  • L.O.L
    Wednesday, November 06, 2013 7:59 PM
  • you may try AutoMe which is a good macro recorder software, you can download the program from

http://www.asoftech.com/autome/index.html

hope this helps.

Tuesday, March 04, 2014 9:57 AM