none
Microsoft OLE DB provider for Oracle on 64-bit server

Question

• Another developer designed an SSIS package that connects to Oracle using the Microsoft OLE DB provider for Oracle. It works on our desktops, as they are 32-bit and the provider is installed. However, when deployed to the server - Windows Server 2008R2 64-bit - we encounter the following errors:

Source: "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle"  Hresult: 0x80004005  Description: "Oracle client and networking components were not found. These components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the Oracle Version 7.3.3 or later client software installation.    Provider is unable to function until these components are installed.".  End Error  Error: 2012-02-20 14:59:36.52     Code: 0xC020801C     Source: mySource OLE DB Source [1]     Description: SSIS Error Code DTS_E_CANNOTACQUIRECONNECTIONFROMCONNECTIONMANAGER.  The AcquireConnection method call to the connection manager "MySource" failed with error code 0xC0202009.  There may be error messages posted before this with more information on why the AcquireConnection method call failed.  End Error

I've checked on the server and it seems there is no Microsoft OLE DB provider for Oracle. Some Googling learns me that there is no 64-bit provider provided by Microsoft, but executing the SSIS package in 32-bit mode also fails with the same error.

Note: I have the Oracle client installed and configured on the server. I have packages with the Oracle OLE DB provider working on that very same server. It's just the Microsoft OLE DB provider for Oracle that is not working. I can of course use the other provider, but that means I have to switch providers in the SSIS package and reconfigure every source/destination that uses this connection manager, which is unfortunately quite a lot.

MCTS, MCITP - Please mark posts as answered where appropriate.
    Answer #1: Have you tried turning it off and on again?
    Answer #2: It depends...

Monday, February 20, 2012 2:46 PM

Answers

• Hello Koen,

The "Microsoft OLE DB provider for Oracle" is really totally outdated, it's based on Oracle 8 (currently: Oracle 11g) and it's already deprecated by microsoft; one reason why there is no 64 bit provider available.

You should remove it and use the Oracle provider ínstead.

Olaf Helper
    * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum *
    Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich
    Blog Xing

• Marked as answer by Koen Verbeeck Monday, February 20, 2012 6:28 PM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 5:44 PM

All replies