none
How to create a database in SQL server 2005

Question

• Hi,

I´m new with SQL server, actually work on a project that need a SQL server. They installed the server with SQL 2005 and now I have to create a database.

I feel nearly ashemed to ask....but ...how do I create a database, in the Start_Programs_SQL I don´t see any tools to do that ?

Thanks in advance for your understanding ?

Pippo

Monday, December 08, 2008 1:30 PM

Answers

• Hello, Pippo; welcome to the SQL Server forums.

First, do you have a copy of Books Online for SQL Server?  If not, pick up a copy here.  Next, are you familiar with and do you have a copy of SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)?  If you are going to do any database management you need to become familar with SSMS.

Give a look at the CREATE DATABASE article in books online.  One of the methods of creating a database involve use of a CREATE DATABASE statement.  Another alternative -- probably better for you -- is to go into SSMS, open a database connection, open up the "Databases" folder, right click the "Databases" folder and select "New Database..."

Monday, December 08, 2008 1:39 PM
  • Just to add to Kent's comment, if you can't find SQL Server Management Studio, you're likely using SQL Express.  You can download SQL Management Studio Express from here.

Tuesday, December 09, 2008 1:51 AM
  •  

• Go to Start >Program Files>Microsoft SQL Server 2005>SQL server Management Studio> open it by click.
    • “Connect to server” window will appear if not then try to click connect button in object explorer it will be visible in left site by clicking select Database engine.
    • Window will appear would require some credential to login.
    • Server Type- Database Engine
    • Server Name- Type your desired server name if its local or default simply type use DOT (.) with bracket.
    • Authentication – SQL Server Authentication or Windows Authentication (It depends on installation what you have choose by default its both)
    • (Use SQL logins like . SA and password)/(If you are a local administrator try with windows authentication)
    • Right click on Databases tab select New Database.
    • Mention the Database name you desire and press ok.

Its done.

Now you can find your database in Databases tab explore it.

(For more information you use the Help button and connect to Books on line or simply use ONLINE help)

Good luck

PRAVEEN BARATH

Thursday, December 11, 2008 4:16 PM

All replies

• Hello, Pippo; welcome to the SQL Server forums.

First, do you have a copy of Books Online for SQL Server?  If not, pick up a copy here.  Next, are you familiar with and do you have a copy of SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)?  If you are going to do any database management you need to become familar with SSMS.

Give a look at the CREATE DATABASE article in books online.  One of the methods of creating a database involve use of a CREATE DATABASE statement.  Another alternative -- probably better for you -- is to go into SSMS, open a database connection, open up the "Databases" folder, right click the "Databases" folder and select "New Database..."

Monday, December 08, 2008 1:39 PM
  • Thanks for your help, I only need to create a database and a system will connect and save data on IT.

Is it possible that on the SQL server, when I go to" Start-Programs-Microsoft SQL server 2005- Cnfiguration tools-" I only see 3 menu-choises : 1) SQL Configuration Manager 2)  SQL Server Error and Usage Reporting  3) SQL Server Surface Area Configuration ?

Thanks for your cooperation and help

Filippo

Monday, December 08, 2008 2:41 PM
  • When you go to "Start -> Programs -> Microsoft SQL Server 2005 you should see options similar to the following:

• Analysis Services
    • Configuration Tools
    • Documentation and Tutorials
    • Performance Tools
    • SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio
    • SQL Server Management Studio

The tool that you need most is the last one -- SQL Server Management Studio

Monday, December 08, 2008 7:07 PM
  • Just to add to Kent's comment, if you can't find SQL Server Management Studio, you're likely using SQL Express.  You can download SQL Management Studio Express from here.

Tuesday, December 09, 2008 1:51 AM
  • Hello,

I am fearing that you have not understood what is Sql Server .

I suppose that you have used ACCESS .

Sql Server is the name of a database engine ( when you use ACCESS , you can create a database,load data in it or build an application which will manage the database ).

Sql Server is not done for that ( at least on the beginning ) : it manages databases , permits you to modify datas or visualize them , but you cannot build an application like with ACCESS .For the last point, you have to use developpement tools like the VS 2005 Express Editions

Please, could you explain more deeply what you want to do ?

Are the data used by a single user or shared by several users on several computers in network ?

We are waiting for your feedback to try to help you more efficiently

Have a nice day

Thursday, December 11, 2008 7:47 AM
  •  

• Go to Start >Program Files>Microsoft SQL Server 2005>SQL server Management Studio> open it by click.
    • “Connect to server” window will appear if not then try to click connect button in object explorer it will be visible in left site by clicking select Database engine.
    • Window will appear would require some credential to login.
    • Server Type- Database Engine
    • Server Name- Type your desired server name if its local or default simply type use DOT (.) with bracket.
    • Authentication – SQL Server Authentication or Windows Authentication (It depends on installation what you have choose by default its both)
    • (Use SQL logins like . SA and password)/(If you are a local administrator try with windows authentication)
    • Right click on Databases tab select New Database.
    • Mention the Database name you desire and press ok.

Its done.

Now you can find your database in Databases tab explore it.

(For more information you use the Help button and connect to Books on line or simply use ONLINE help)

Good luck

PRAVEEN BARATH

Thursday, December 11, 2008 4:16 PM
  • Thanks for your help I resolve the issue. The problem was that I got the SQL Server without the tool SSMS. Now it is up and running.

Pippo

Thursday, December 11, 2008 4:41 PM