none
The job failed. Unable to determine if the owner (Domain\User) of job JobName File has server access (reason: Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user 'Domain\User, error code 0x6fd. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 15404)).

General discussion

• I have jobs running on several SQL Serfer 2005 server running at or above build nimber 9.00.4229.  The jobs will run for days with out error and then we will receive the same error reported here.  When the job fails I habe just restarted the job and it will run as normal.  The SQL Server Agent is runnig with a Domain account which is a local Administrator.  The owner account for the jobs in question changes based on the DBA that built the Job/Maintenance Plan.  All DBA have Local Aministrator permissions and are also a SQL admin on the respective server. The OS is at Windows Server 2003 SP1.

We have even changed the owned of the job to be a differant DBA account and rescheduled the job.  The job will run for a period of time and will fail with the same error for no reason.

Does anyone have a valid solution for this issue? 

Monday, January 11, 2010 8:29 PM

All replies

• I would think the SQL server is intermittently loosing its connection to AD and hence not able to get the principal verified from the AD.
    Try changing the owner of the job to SQL account and see if the same behavior is happening.?
    Thanks, Leks
    Monday, January 11, 2010 8:35 PM
  • I have same situation on a SQL 2008 job I created.  When I changed the job's owner to 'sa' or SQL sysadmin account it succeeds but my windows domain account which is listed as sysadmin I get this same error message.  Our SQL 2008 engine & agent are running under its machine's local user account I'd created.  Any ideas or recommendations so the job will succeed if it's owner is my windows domain account?

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, March 01, 2012 9:37 PM
  • sa

worked for me !!!

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 9:58 AM
  • I have jobs running on several SQL Serfer 2005 server running at or above build nimber 9.00.4229.  The jobs will run for days with out error and then we will receive the same error reported here.  When the job fails I habe just restarted the job and it will run as normal.  The SQL Server Agent is runnig with a Domain account which is a local Administrator.  The owner account for the jobs in question changes based on the DBA that built the Job/Maintenance Plan.  All DBA have Local Aministrator permissions and are also a SQL admin on the respective server. The OS is at Windows Server 2003 SP1.

We have even changed the owned of the job to be a differant DBA account and rescheduled the job.  The job will run for a period of time and will fail with the same error for no reason.

Does anyone have a valid solution for this issue? 

Hello,

Your OS is at SP1 Please upgrade it to SP2 ASAP.I can see some issues fixed in Sp2 for windows server related to AD

A hotfix is available that improves the performance of programs that query Active Directory for group memberships in Windows Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914828

I am not sure this will fix your issue but upgrading OS to SP2 is really a good idea which will subside further issues.

Please do revert if this solves your issue.More details in link provided above

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 10:20 AM