none
Is SQL Server Snapshot Replication a Differential type of Replication

Question

• Hi, 

I am on my way to becoming a SQL guru but until then, I have been recently through alot of setups and created lots of replication and subscriptions and deleted them as well trying to figure the best way to set up sql server 2k8 r2 database replication. In the process, i have learnt alot regarding replication mostly not all fun stuff about replication.(the whole environment, i inherited and since they all work, im not breaking anything ;-])

Eventually, I decided transactional replication wont work for us since some of our tables are missing primary keys and mirroring isnt exactly our intention. 

We just want to be able to have at least a day old copy of the dbs that we can point/redirect applications to manually and relatively quickly and these includes a range of custom dbs to sharepoint dbs.

So, my question ...the snapshots pushed out by the publisher, are they differentials/incrementals(such that changes are merged to parked snapshots) or a full snapshot is taken every time the distribution agent runs?

OR

Better still, what other ways can I achieve my goal?

Thanks

• Edited by Shilezi Monday, April 15, 2013 7:36 PM
    Monday, April 15, 2013 7:30 PM

Answers

• snapshot replication will take a full snapshot of the entire database. no differentials/Incremental changes.

you may want to look into Log shipping. Remember, Log shipping do not provide automatic failover and you need manual interference but so is replication. Please refer here for more details on Log shipping. I do not know if you have sometime but Jes Borland from BrentOzar PLF made webcast on this(log shipping) very recently and I suggest to  watch that for all details. the link is here http://www.brentozar.com/archive/2013/03/log-shipping-faq/

Hope it Helps!!

• Marked as answer by Shilezi Monday, April 15, 2013 9:15 PM
    Monday, April 15, 2013 8:15 PM
  • Hi Stan210

Thanks very much for the reply and that informative link. I didn't mean incremental in the sense of the word but used as a way to better understand how snapshots work.

I appreciate your input, and this guy's response totally sorted it out for me.

Monday, April 15, 2013 9:14 PM

All replies

• snapshot replication will take a full snapshot of the entire database. no differentials/Incremental changes.

you may want to look into Log shipping. Remember, Log shipping do not provide automatic failover and you need manual interference but so is replication. Please refer here for more details on Log shipping. I do not know if you have sometime but Jes Borland from BrentOzar PLF made webcast on this(log shipping) very recently and I suggest to  watch that for all details. the link is here http://www.brentozar.com/archive/2013/03/log-shipping-faq/

Hope it Helps!!

Monday, April 15, 2013 8:15 PM
  • Hi Stan210

Thanks very much for the reply and that informative link. I didn't mean incremental in the sense of the word but used as a way to better understand how snapshots work.

I appreciate your input, and this guy's response totally sorted it out for me.

Monday, April 15, 2013 9:14 PM