none
SqlDumpExceptionHandler - access violation

Question

• Hi,

This morning I found an error reported by our sql server:  "Error: 0, Severity: 19, State: 0
    SqlDumpExceptionHandler: Process 61 generated fatal exception c0000005 EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION. SQL Server is terminating this process."  (this is from the event log).  I'm not aware of this error ever occuring in the past few years.

Our db version is:  Microsoft SQL Server 8.00.2039 || SP4 || Enterprise Edition

I found others reporting this same sort of error, which reference perhaps rewriting a query.  Is there any way to determine what was going on when this error occured?  In the logs directory I have a text file that goes with the sql dump, an exception.log and a *.mdmp file.

I've also found references to this hotfix:  http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=909089&SD=tech - is this recommended to install?

As far as I can tell, sql server seems to be running ok.  Should I restart it when this error occurs?

Thanks,
    Beth

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 3:29 PM

Answers

• Unless you have a trace running that will be terminated with the dump, you won't be able to catch this.  Tracing the entire server could be expensive, and would take volumes of disk space if you didn't clean up the files as they roll over.  You ould have them limited to 500MB in size and schedule a task to remove all but the most recent 3 files from the folder using a VBScript.  I don't know that this is a feasible solution, but it is how you would do it.

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 12:24 AM

All replies

• Did a new piece of code get deployed that could be causing this problem?  For a singular event, I might hold off to see it occur again and if so how frequently, how much time between it happening, and see if I can't isolate the query causing the issue.  If it is just one query, maybe you can fix it.  The hotfix is out there to solve this problem, so you could definately install it.  One thing to keep in mind is that mainstream support for SQL 2000 expired in April, so should you have a problem with this hotfix, and need support, you may end up in extended (more costly) support since you are on what is now quicky becoming a Legacy version of SQL Server.

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 4:53 PM
  • No, nothing new was deployed recently to our database server.

Thanks for your advice - it sounds reasonable to hold off installing the hotfix if this is a one time event to see if it happens again.

Is there anyway from the log files to determine the query that caused the problem?

Thanks,
    Beth
    Tuesday, July 01, 2008 6:05 PM
  • Unless you have a trace running that will be terminated with the dump, you won't be able to catch this.  Tracing the entire server could be expensive, and would take volumes of disk space if you didn't clean up the files as they roll over.  You ould have them limited to 500MB in size and schedule a task to remove all but the most recent 3 files from the folder using a VBScript.  I don't know that this is a feasible solution, but it is how you would do it.

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 12:24 AM