none
How to create parent-child dimension without mdx

Question

•  

Hi,

i have this account dimension, and i want to make it parent-child. but everytime i try, it always error on the parentkey. here is my dimension:

AccountKey  AccountNumber        AccountName                          AccountLevel   ParentKey 
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    3                    100000                 AKTIVA                                         1                 0
    6                    110000                 AKTIVA LANCAR                           2                 3
    9                    111000                 KAS & SETARA KAS                     3                 6
    25                  111100                 KAS                                              4                 9
    26                  111101                 KAS HOME OFFICE                      5                 25
    27                  111102                 KAS REPRESENTATIVE OFFICE   5                 25
    28                  111103                 KAS SITE OFFICE                         5                 25
    29                  111104                 KAS KECIL (PETTY CASH)            5                 25
    51                  111200                 PERKIRAAN SILANG BANK           4                 9
    52                  111201                 AYAT SILANG BANK                     5                 51

Can someone explain the step by step to me on how to make a parent-child dimension using that table, i prefer not using dmx, cos i'm still newbie on this. Please help. Thanks for the attention.

Sincerely yours,

Yugi

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 3:17 AM

All replies

• When you right click on the Dimensions folder and choose New Dimension, there's a wizard. The 8th screen or so lets you setup up the parent-child relationship. Just build an attribute on the ParentKey column. Then on that screen that lets you set up the parent-child relationship, just pick the parent key attribute.

Afterwards, take a look at the Employee dimension in Adventure Works to make sure it comes out looking about the same.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 11:29 PM
  • It would help to know what the actual error message was.

Looking at your data it could be something to do with the first line. If "AKTIVA" is meant to be the root of the parent child hierarchy then the parent key should probably either be NULL or 3 (iteself). If there is no record with and ID of 0 this will cause an error when trying to build a parent-child hierarchy.

Monday, February 18, 2008 3:22 AM