none
HOWTO Make a column a password column for SharePoint 2010.

Question

• HOWTO Make a column a password column for SharePoint 2010. ======================================================================================================================== Is there a way this can be done so a column added to a list is always displayed in garbled password text (like ******)? Looking at all the SPField classes and the GUI of Share Point 2010, I do not see any way this can be done, without making some new weird custom field.
    Monday, February 07, 2011 9:11 PM

Answers

• Um, you can do that. Field display template is just an ascx user control. It's assumed you're displaying content based on proper permissions so shouldn't be storing passwords directly in a list anyway.
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Wednesday, February 09, 2011 2:15 AM
    Monday, February 07, 2011 11:01 PM

All replies

• In a custom field type make a custom field display template for handling that.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms446361.aspx will get you started

Monday, February 07, 2011 9:33 PM
  • NVM... Another complete waste of time. I will instead make a simple ASPX to prompt for a password and encryption key as <input type=password> on both, then call a sinple ASMX to use C# to encrypt the text. Then cut/copy/paste the encrypted string to the field in Share Point 2010, as it has not such control built (evidently), and then to extract the password in my code, I'll call a C# Decrypt. Seems so sad <input type=password> is too much to ask for in SharePoint 2010.
    Monday, February 07, 2011 10:07 PM
  • Um, you can do that. Field display template is just an ascx user control. It's assumed you're displaying content based on proper permissions so shouldn't be storing passwords directly in a list anyway.
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Wednesday, February 09, 2011 2:15 AM
    Monday, February 07, 2011 11:01 PM
  • Sure, you can. And I did! The point is you are storing a encrypted password in the list. Albeit, it would be far better if there was a built-in password field type.
    Tuesday, February 08, 2011 5:52 PM