Wednesday, June 16, 2010 1:11 PM
I'm (completely) new to sharepoint and hopinh someone can help me with these requirements.
I need to set up a sharepoint list that behaves as follows:
- when a row is added to the list, it is labelled as a "pending row"
- it is imported into an external database (either directly when added, by clicking a "process" button, or as part of some scheduled task every 10 minutes - which is going to be easiest?)
- if the row did not import properly, it is labelled as a "problem row" with an error message from the import process
- if it was imported without an error, it is labelled as a "success" row
- the users sees a view showing pending and failed rows (ideally fails are in a different colour), successful rows no longer appear in the view (does it affect sharepoint if the total number of rows grows really large)
I have no experience of developing using sharepoint, but am I right that this should be a task that sharepoint can accomplish easily? What is the most straightforward way to go about producing this? Finally, we have sharepoint already, I like the way I can set up the list directly from the spreadsheet (there are about 15 columns), and users like being able to copy and paste data into the datasheet view and have simple validation - these requirements seem quite simple, is sharepoint going to save me time or would I be better off doing the whole thing as asp.net from the start?
Thanks for your assistance!
- Moved by Peter JausovecMicrosoft Employee Tuesday, June 22, 2010 5:56 PM Moving to appropriate forum. (From:SharePoint Development)
Thursday, June 17, 2010 5:56 AM
This can be done pretty easy by creating an event receiver and using the ItemAdded method. (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms437502.aspx )
You can create the list directly from the spreadsheet, it doesn't really matter unless you create a custom content type, since the event receiver is either bound to a list template or a content type.