Tuesday, March 06, 2012 12:32 PM
I am new to Workflow. I have a requirement in which i want to create multi-level approval workflow.
Below is the scenario
I have a list , when item is added to the list , the workflow should start. Item is populated by a form .in the form we mention the approvers details. Once the item is added , mail should be sent to the first level approver with the link to that task . If he approves , then mail ll be send to the second level manager to review and approve it. If fails , then system should send mail back to the author. Process is same for all the three levels. In each level of rejection , mail should be sent to author and other people who approved it.
I tried it with SPD2010 and added start approval process on current item . It works for first level (Although the link is giving link to item instead of task list) but i dont know how to proceed further . Can some one help me with this.
I prefer SPD as i have never done Visual studio workflow :(
Thursday, March 08, 2012 7:06 AMModerator
From your description, you need to
- Start approval process for 3 approvers in sequence.
- Stop approval workflow when any approver rejected the task.
- Send email with task item link to next approver when previous approver approved the
- Send email to author and approvers who approved the task when anyone rejected the task.
Both point 1, point 2 and point 3 can be achieve by changing approval settings. And we need to add some actions for point 3. Here are the detail steps.
- Add Set Workflow Available action, set Variable:CancelonRejection to Yes. (For point 2)
- Add a start approval process action, lookup participants from list columns: field1, field2 and field3 by clicking
Workflow Lookup for a user and lookup field1, field2 and field3 from current item.
Assign the task one at a time (serial). (For point 1)
- Click Approval (n) task to edit the approval process > Change the behavior of a single task > Under When a Task Completes section > Under Else if Current Task: Outcome equals Rejected, add following
If Current Task:Assigned To equals (ignoring case) Current Item:field2,
Send email to current item:field1.
Else if Current Task:Assigned to equals (ignoring case) Current Tiem:field3,
Send email to current item:field1, current item:field2.
(Since approval workflow will send email to author when the approval task is completed by default, so not need to add author to email action here and this is for point 4)
- Point 3, Approval task will send task notification email to next approver by default, and when we open the email in Outlook, we will see a One this task button on outlook, we can use this button to approval task directly. And if you need to add task link, we can modify the Email task notification action under When a Task is Pending section, and add link to the email body like this: http://server/site/Lists/Task list/DispForm.aspx?ID=[%Current Task:ID%]
TechNet Community Support