Wednesday, March 07, 2012 9:59 AM
Last week I tried to upgrade our testserver to the December 2011 CU for SharePoint 2010 Server. The upgrade failed due to some missing setup-files which I have since cleaned up so no references to these are left. However, now that I try to continue the upgrade using these instructions http://technet.microsoft.com/sv-se/library/ff382638.aspx#FarmRestart I get an error aswell which is:
System.IO.IOException: Access to the path 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config\50c8edaf-4e0a-42e9-b6cb-df22d6d7d6d9\' is denied.
I looked at that specific folder and added the farm account aswell as the NETWORK SERVICES account, both with full control, but I still get the same error message. Any ideas on how to procede?
Wednesday, March 07, 2012 10:27 AM
I have no idea why you get this error, or why the upgrade process needs access to that path(My theory is that it left a mark from the previous failed upgrade), but I have found a solution to a similar issue. Here it goes:
Try clearing the cache.ini
You can find it in location 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config\50c8edaf-4e0a-42e9-b6cb-df22d6d7d6d9\'
In that folder find the file cache.ini and open it in Notepad.
Reset the value to 1
Run the command stsadm -o execadmsvcjobs
Then try running the below command from the PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\....\14\Bin\ (instead of the wizard)
psconfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait -force
Hope that this helps
- Marked As Answer by Kewah Wednesday, March 07, 2012 3:18 PM
Wednesday, March 07, 2012 12:27 PM
thx for your suggestion, I tried it out but it didn't work as I'm still getting the same error message. I've tried running the same commands with different accounts but I keep getting the error.
Wednesday, March 07, 2012 12:32 PM
NP Kewah. Sorry it did not solve it for you.
I recommend that you search for similar issues related to the path: ''C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config\' (leave out the GUID, it's unique.)
Perhaps mix in 'access denied'...
That will hopefully give you more ideas. When I did a quick search, if using a too specific string, the results were to few.
Wednesday, March 07, 2012 1:24 PM
Yeah, I always do that before I post here, incase someone else has ran into the same problem. I tried clearing the whole cache again with deleting all the XML-files in the folder but nothing has helped so far. Seems like such a weird error message, like you pointed out, that I'm quite at a loss here.
Update: Rebooted server and now I can run the update command. Thx a lot Thomas!
- Edited by Kewah Wednesday, March 07, 2012 3:18 PM Updated info