SharePoint foundation lost our single web front end, reattach the old content databases to new server?
Tuesday, May 29, 2012 12:15 AM
Hi, we run a simple SharePoint 2010 foundation setup, with a single SharePoint server(setup as a farm, not a single server) and a separate SQL 2008 server running the database.
Over the weekend the SharePoint server (web front end) has been seriously broke, possible by a failed update. The databases seem to be fine.
We run a externally managed service here, but they are having issues restoring the virtual server.
Is it possible to build up a new SharePoint 2010 server, and then reattach the old content databases it? If so any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated. I’m just trying to look at all our options.
We still have access to C drive / 14 hive folder as well as pliantly of backups of it.
Sorry if I have used the wrong terminology
Tuesday, May 29, 2012 7:46 AM
Your scenario is not that uncommon.
Depending on your environment this should be a viable option.
There are a few things you have to keep in mind when you are going to just re-attach the content databases to a new farm:
- Install any solutions that were installed in the old farm.
- Make sure the farms are at the same build level (SP / CU)
Then you can re-attach the content databases and connect them to SharePoint by using the Mount-SPContentDatabase cmdlet.
Nico Martens - MCTS, MCITP
SharePoint 2010 Infrastructure Consultant / Trainer
- Marked As Answer by Rock Wang– MSFT Tuesday, June 05, 2012 7:10 AM
Wednesday, June 06, 2012 5:39 AM
Got everything back up and running, and really wasn't that hard although the experience was a little stressfull.
I was able to do it without rebuilding the farm by creating a new SharePoint server and joining it to the old farm, i did have to tell it to reinstall the central administration.
For anybody else in the same situation
- I Build up a new virtual server, patched it, and installed the Share Point core and got it to the same level as before.
- Restored the 14 hive folder, but that was only because we had customized a few thing here.
- Then ran the SharePoint 2010 Products Configuration Wizard, and pointed it to the farm config database on the sql database, gave it the farm passphrase, and i was back in business to a point.
I had to create a new instance of the web application, things like search needed to be reconfigured and the BDC service was broken.
I guess in this situation a secondary SharePoint server have been good.