I have an error message stating (during an SQL 2012 repair) that says
Rule "Not clustered or the cluster service is up and online." failed The machine is clustered, but the cluster is not online or cannot be accessed from one of its nodes. To continue determine why the cluster is not online and rerun setup instead of rerunning the rule since the rule can no longer detect a cluster environment correctly.
I am asking whether it is ADSI because I had to update the SBS 2011 server box and the migration of a couple of the accounts failed during the update and these accounts are linked to the accounts that have permission in SQL Server. Even the Administrator on the local box seems to be unable to open SQL (probably during one of my panic attacks I removed the security account from the Administrator as well)
What seems curious to me is that it shows up as a clustering problem when I suspect it has more to do with a SID problem on the ADSI, but since they are similar, is there a way to fix this using strictly SQL 2012 installation procedures or must I go back and uninstall SQL 2012 and reinstall given that at this point, I cannot access the databases (except the system databases) from SQL itself. The SQL Server security no longer recognizes the current domain - at least it seems that way - I cannot add my new account which is associated with a different SID, same account name.
Not sure it makes sense to most out there but if someone has experience with both the ADSI and the clustering and the SQL install/repair issue, maybe you have some advice for me. I'll probably wind up removing one of the servers altogether and rebuilding it before tomorrow so I have something online for Monday (June 17, fathers day today) but I have other servers with the same problem so I should have some debugging information available after the fact.
Also, I stuck this in the migration section thinking it was more a migration issue though that's not it exactly.
It may be an issue related to WMI or WMI permissions.
Hope this helps.
I'll try the WMI permissions when I bring the servers back online. My thought is the SID's are linked directly to the permissions created during the installation. When they don't match up, SQL assumes that the non-matching SID must come from a different machine therefore the cluster. In my case, the old SID's live on both servers and I thought if I unjoin and rejoin, it would clear up the SID problem but apparently not. Will get back to this after I get the other issues ironed out. I think I prefer installing a piece of software to upgrading the hardware on a slow machine. In hindsight, I will buy a new machine before I upgrade software again.
Will continue after I collect more information.
Thanks for your reply Alberto.
Did not check the WMI. However, reimporting the domain site certificate and clearing out the old on on the machine and then running a reset on the security permissions for the machine root by giving SYSTEM the ownership of all the files and then uninstalling and reinstalling SQL seems to have done the trick.
Thank you for sharing with us the solution you found.
Have a great day!
I have also faced similar error in one of the server, This error was due to WMI corrupt on the server. Rebuilding the mof files fixed the issue.
Execute these commands from an administrative command prompt. Locate this directory: %systemroot%\system32\wbem
Run these commands in sequence & restart your setup.