none
How to programmatically soft- (hard) reset and shutdown WP7?

Question

• Hello, how can I programmatically soft- (hard) reset or shutdown a windows phone 7 device? For windows mobile 5, 6.x it is documented but I have no idea how to do this for windows phone 7. Thank in advance. BR
    Monday, October 25, 2010 3:01 PM

All replies

• I'm pretty sure you can't.
    Monday, October 25, 2010 3:30 PM
  • Given that Microsoft will not allow an application to sneeze without obtaining permission from the OS first, I wouldn't hold thumbs for this.
    Monday, October 25, 2010 4:01 PM
  • It wouldn't be wise to allow applications to reset people's phones.  Why do you need to reset the device?
    Monday, October 25, 2010 10:52 PM
  • Why would you ever want to do that from an app?  I'm curious if there is a justifiable case for needing to do this.
    Monday, October 25, 2010 11:16 PM
  • Thanks anyway.
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 2:48 PM
  • I too would like to be able to do this. One case that I run into with my HD7 is after Marketplace glitches. I'm tired of having to remove the phone from its case and then removing the backing plate and battery. I think I even saw a picture of a WP7 application someplace a few weeks back.
    Tuesday, February 08, 2011 10:19 PM
  • I too would like to be able to do this. One case that I run into with my HD7 is after Marketplace glitches. I'm tired of having to remove the phone from its case and then removing the backing plate and battery. I think I even saw a picture of a WP7 application someplace a few weeks back.
    You can simply press and hold the power button to reboot the device in almost any case besides a full hardware lock.
    Tuesday, February 08, 2011 10:51 PM
  • You can simply press and hold the power button to reboot the device in almost any case besides a full hardware lock.
    Exactly.  Why do they need an app that will be less functional than the power button that every phone has as standard?  I think some people leave their phones on for so long that they forget it has a power button.
    Tuesday, February 08, 2011 11:23 PM
  • I'm stuck right now with a WP7 phone that I cannot even shut off with the power button. I hold it, and a screen pops down from top saying "slide down to power off", I slide that screen down all the way but the phone never turns off.

What??

I'm completely out of options here. I'm thinking I will have to write an app that drains the batteries as quickly as possible, or something.
    Or if there is another way of forcing a reset of a WP7 phone, cause this has a really negative impact on my current mango app deadline... >:-(

Edit: lol I found out how to do it. I had to hold the power button down an additional 5 seconds (total 10 seconds or so).... doh :-)
    This information turned out to be largely incorrect: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2414836
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 10:02 AM
  • I hold it, and a screen pops down from top saying "slide down to power off", I slide that screen down all the way but the phone never turns off.
    That's either a Mango feature (haven't had a chance to put it on my phone yet) or a hardware specific feature as the link you provided is how my phone works. It only takes about 3 seconds.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 11:35 AM
  • Yes it's Mango. After rebooting, I was able to shut it down normally by sliding that image (it's the user defined wallpaper image) all the way down. When doing that it says Goodbye then goes off. Must have been a temporary hiccup.
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 12:44 PM