none
Please delete the corrupted saved state file and then retry.? I think I can reproduce circumstances, can you?

General discussion

• I'm getting the above message on my Mango Emulator.
    ---------------------------
    Windows Phone Emulator
    Error: The saved-state file (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\XDE\{7E642E7C-1154-47CE-841B-54D78363563D}.dess) is corrupt. Please delete the corrupted saved state file and then retry.
    OK

If I follow the advice above, I then get the problem with the emulator doing a complete boot every time.

So, I did a repair on my install, and within 5 minutes the problem had returned.

I found a reference to this elsewhere (http://blog.marktharris.com/2011/06/windows-phone-7-emulator-saved-state.html)
    which suggested deleting both files (I renamed mine), then restoring them one at a time (dess first, then ss)

This made the problem go away (which is much faster than the reinstall).

I think I've narrowed down how to reproduce the problem though:
    If you close the emulator while stopped at a breakpoint, the problem reappears.

Can anyone else reproduce this?
    Friday, November 25, 2011 12:43 PM

All replies

• Stopping the debug session using "Stop Debuging (Shift-F5)" in Visual Studio eliminates the need for a complete boot everytime. Only stop the emulator when you don't need it anymore (for the day)
    Friday, November 25, 2011 2:32 PM
  • Often this message is bogus. What it really means is that the emulator could not allocate a PILE of memory in one contiguous block (eg a gigabyte) which it needs for the VM to run. I usually exit all apps, fire up XDE on its own (then it is happy), then run VS. Very occasionally I need to reboot to ensure a suitably large block of unallocated memory.

The system reqs for the 7.1 toolkit now specify 3GB of RAM total, which I'm sure is related.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 3:24 AM
  • Hi All,

"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\XDE". I am unable to find this folder.
    The error once reported that I don't have the appropriate access privilege to the drive.
    Does this error frequent if I do not possess the admin rights of my system.
    Can anyone help?

Regards,
    Richard.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:52 AM
  • It is a hidden folder. Either enable the folder options to view hidden folders or just type C:\ProgramData at the run prompt
    Thursday, March 22, 2012 6:21 AM