none
Upgrade project from 7.1 to 8.0

Question

• What happens if I upgrade my WP7.1 project in Windows 8 to WP8.0 and submit it to the app store?

I only made GUI changes (did not add any WP8 spesific stuff). Will this version be visible to everyone with a WP7.1 device as well? Or only those with WP8.0?

I mainly want to update due to the different screen resolutions in WP8. At the moment my app is letterboxed in WP8.0.

I think it would be very nice if I could maintain a common app for WP7.1 as well as WP8.0. Offcource I understand that I can not use WP8.0 spesific stuff but that is ok for the moment...

Anyone have ideas to how this works? Has anyone done the same?

Sunday, January 06, 2013 12:05 PM

Answers

• My understanding is if there is no wp8 version of the app in the marketplace the wp7 will be available to wp8 devices.  If there are both wp7 and wp8 version in the market place the wp7 version will only be available to wp7 devices.  

So if you maintain 2 versions you might be better off creating a solution with 3 projects a wp7 app, wp8 app, and a class library that is used by both the wp7 and wp8 app.  The class library should contain all the shared functionality possible between the 2 versions.

Sunday, January 06, 2013 4:21 PM

All replies

• If you compile the app for wp 7.1 it will be available for both wp 7 and wp8 devices.   If you compile the app for wp8 it will only be available for wp8 devices.
    Sunday, January 06, 2013 1:55 PM
  • Ok but if I compile it for wp8 it will only be available for wp8 devices (ok since its just gui).

But if I later want to add functionality do I change the wp8 version. Do I also need to change the old wp7 version? Also if I relase a new wp7 version this will not be available for wp8 right? (since I already made a new wp8 version)?

Sunday, January 06, 2013 3:33 PM
  • My understanding is if there is no wp8 version of the app in the marketplace the wp7 will be available to wp8 devices.  If there are both wp7 and wp8 version in the market place the wp7 version will only be available to wp7 devices.  

So if you maintain 2 versions you might be better off creating a solution with 3 projects a wp7 app, wp8 app, and a class library that is used by both the wp7 and wp8 app.  The class library should contain all the shared functionality possible between the 2 versions.

Sunday, January 06, 2013 4:21 PM

Ken is correct on that. Please see the thread below for more details on the topic. It also touches on how to upgrade an existing 7.5 app to 8.0.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wpdevelop/thread/d7b7168d-f898-4f0a-ac0d-bafde4600fa4

Sunday, January 06, 2013 8:32 PM