none
Localized ReverseGeocodeQuery

Question

• How to get a localized text from ReverseGeocodeQuery? i.e. street names in Russia should be Cyrillic.

Sunday, November 11, 2012 5:28 PM

All replies

• Some response from MSFT would be good
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 9:46 PM
  • Hi,

If using the WP8 specific Microsoft.Phone.Maps.Services Namespace (not Bing maps) you are using Nokia Maps; in which case I think it would make sense to ask the question in the Nokia community forum:

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/What's_new_in_Windows_Phone_8

Hope this helps,
    Mark

Mark Chamberlain Sr. Escalation Engineer | Microsoft Developer Support | Windows Phone 7

Thursday, November 15, 2012 9:02 PM
  • Reponse on Nokia forum: "I did go through the API quite a much, and did not notice any language settings from it, thus it might be indeed missing from the API."

First Microsoft delays SDK, then it releases API that is not usable. Thank you :(

Map is a good control, but it is not usable in real world scenarios.

Friday, November 16, 2012 9:44 PM
  • I know that this is probably not the ideal solution, but have you considered using Bing translation service for this?

http://api.microsofttranslator.com/V2/Soap.svc

This would require the user to be Online and of course it could happen that the translation may not be 100% accurate, but I don't see any other way to do it as things are right now.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help you.

Saturday, November 17, 2012 11:20 AM
  • Do you really think translating street names is a good idea? 
    I just need them to be written in cyrillic for text to speech engine to pronounce it right.
    Saturday, November 17, 2012 11:31 AM
  • I'm not saying its the best idea but it is an idea. It has its drawbacks and the ideal would be for the platform to support that scenario. As far as I know it does not, so if that feature is crucial for you then the drawbacks may not be too bad for your scenario. Thats the reason I stated at the beginning "I know that this is probably not the ideal solution" :)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help you.

Saturday, November 17, 2012 12:57 PM
  • I think I just have to stay with my current solution and not update to ReverseGeocodeQuery.
    Saturday, November 17, 2012 1:27 PM