none
Hyper-V + nVidia 450 GTS = BSOD (VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE in nvlddmkm.sys) on Windows 8 Pro

Question

• Hello everyone,

After installing the WP8.0 SDK the display driver kept crashing and I kept getting various BSODs related to the video card. The most frequent one was VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE in nvlddmkm.sys. This was completely unrelated to development work - for what's it worth, it never happened while debugging.

I was running nVidia's latest drivers (306.97) and I tried reinstalling that and other versions. I even tried the beta versions, but that didn't help.

The only thing that helped was disabling virtualization in BIOS, but this killed Hyper-V and the emulators. The motherboard is an Asrock 970 Extreme3 and the processor is an AMD FX-4100 w/ 8GB RAM - did anybody encounter any similar issues?

Sunday, December 09, 2012 1:29 AM

All replies

• The nvidia driver's cause frequent video driver related bsods on my machine.

I still haven't kept windows 8 installed due to this.

I don't use hyper-v but I do have virtualization enabled in my bios.

nvidia gts 450 - evga - 

any nvidia driver version, the microsoft supplied driver never crashed.
    Saturday, December 29, 2012 1:11 PM
  • i'm having the exact same issue. I'm using the same drivers, and I've tried other drivers as well. It also helped when I disabled virtualiation in BIOS, but the graphics drivers still fail very often without BSOD but cause a full lock up instead. No idea how to fix it other than now running the emulators. :(

[:|]

Saturday, February 09, 2013 6:00 PM
  • Everytime I try to install the update "NVIDIA driver update for NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450" from my Windows 8 Action Center, my pc crashes and a video_tdr_failure BSOD appears. My pc then proceeds to restart about 2 times, each time displaying the BSOD before restarting a final time and giving me the option to do a system restore. Have no idea to fix this problem though...
    Saturday, July 13, 2013 9:57 PM