none
ActivationPolicy="Resume" incompatible with Voice Commands?

Question

• I think I found an incompatibility between the new ApplicationModel and the speech recognition API.

The issue seems to "work" in the following way:
    - if the app is in background, then I am able to send Voice Commands to it
    - if the app is in foreground, even when correctly deactivated under a screen lock, Voice Commands are recognized by the operating system but not delivered to the app (unless I am missing something).
    Same behaviour both with Lumia 920 (//build/ firmware) and emulator.

Everything is fine if the ActivationPolicy is the Default.

You can easly reproduce the problem downloading the example here:
      http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/jj721592.aspx

and then modifying the WAManifest.xaml, adding the "ApplicationModel=Resume" attribute.

Am I missing something?

• Edited by delfinof Sunday, November 11, 2012 7:10 PM
    Sunday, November 11, 2012 6:47 PM

All replies

• The same happens also with your own protocol-uri e.g.

Supposing you register for the contoso: protocol, if you issue a:

Launcher.LaunchUriAsync(new Uri("contoso://SomeText"));

From within your app and your ActivationPolicy is Resume, you don't see anything to happen; with the default ActivationPolicy, you see your app restarted with the correct context instead.

Sunday, November 11, 2012 7:17 PM
  • I'm facing the same problem.

Is there a way to have voice command when app is foreground + fast-resume ?

Saturday, December 22, 2012 10:56 PM
  • Has anyone made any discoveries with this yet? Also hitting the same problem. The VoiceCommand isn't even passed in on the query string to the RootFrame_Navigating event.

I worked around launching the app (with FAR enabled) from the Lock Screen settings page of system settings, by intercepting it in RootFrame_Navigating, but having no joy using the same approach with VoiceCommand.

Chris Field - Mehdoh for Windows Phone

Monday, December 31, 2012 6:38 PM
  • Yes, I have discussed this with Microsoft, and the behavior is reproducible. They said that having voice commands work as "deep links" was not necessarily their intention, but they were going to send the feedback to Engineering. We can help that along by voting on this issue I set up on the UserVoice site.

Ironically, the way to get the desired behavior is to turn FAR off, which is how I will be shipping my apps, so I can provide a consistent experience to my users.

Tuesday, January 01, 2013 12:48 AM
  • I have same problem :-(

Then we will have to wait for a fix ..

no where man
    http://www.nowhereman.eu

Friday, May 10, 2013 9:00 AM