none
Window.Open("link.htm", "_blank") doesn't work.

General discussion

• Hi,

I am a newbie to this forum so please be gentle. I would like to know if there is a workaround for developing a webpage for Windows Phone 7 Internet Explorer.
    The javascript code: Window.Open("link.htm", "_blank") doesn't work like it should in IE for Windows Phone 7.

Thanks,
    Gray.
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 4:37 PM

All replies

• A user can open a link in a new Tab by tapping and holding the link to get the context menu
    but an anchor or scripts request to target a new window is ignored.

There are several reasons for this:
    * Cross-window communications are not supported.
    * Windows Phone only has one instance of the browser so new "windows" have to be opened as Tab's. 
    * The browser experience is full screen so the user has no good visual cue that they have moved to a new Tab unless they explicity request it.
    * Navigating "back" in a new Tab exits the browser which would be confusing to the user if they did not know a new Tab was created.

For more information about targeting Windows Phone browser see:
    Web Development for Windows Phone
    Wednesday, August 01, 2012 4:19 PM
    Owner
  • This doesn't follow the standard that the entire world of web browsers use. More than that microsoft has created a usability nightmare. As a user experience designer, I'm a bit appalled but this. So what's the work around to make window.open truly work? Because surely having a user click on a link hold a link and then have them open it in a new tab is counter intuititve to the whole process.

Saturday, August 18, 2012 12:46 PM