none
Gradient Banding

Question

• Hello,

i'm using gradient foreground in my wp game. I've changed display depth to 32 bits and everything runs smoothly. Problem occurs, when I change volume with hardware buttons while game is still running. Suddenly, significant gradient banding occurs. When tiny window displaying volume disappears, banding disappears as well. Have anyone came across this problem? 

Thanks in advance.

Friday, January 04, 2013 9:58 PM

All replies

• May I ask what device you are using? There is display technology out there with somewhat limited... let's call it color reproduction. For example, on low brightness settings, some AMOLED screens may produce colors which seem a bit off, especially with tiny fast moving and high contrast elements.

I once had a GIF animation (8 Bit for that matter) of a dark entity moving fast on white background on a Focus (with AMOLED), causing slight "banding" (i.e. white background becoming grayish) in the proximity of the dark thing. It wasn't real banding, however. It went away when I set brightness to maximum.

Sunday, January 06, 2013 9:11 PM
  • Well I've tried it on HTC HD7 which has S-LCD display as far as I know, and Samsung Omnia W, which has SAMOLED. Was banding on both devices. But consider it happens only when I change volume with hardware buttons, which causes that little popup on top of the screen.
    Sunday, January 06, 2013 10:31 PM