none
Battery API, background agend and internet connection

Question

• Good morning,

I'm using a background agent in my app.

It use battery API to get the percentage of charge and it update the main tile.

This is a very easy app, but... if I don't have internet connection or I'm using Airplane mode... the agent doesn't work.

This is a strange behavior for me... never seen in my applications.

Best regards

Tiziano

Tiziano Cacioppolini

Monday, December 17, 2012 6:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you all very much for your feedback.

Confirmation: PeriodicTask fails to trigger if there is no network connectivity in WP8 (enable Airplane mode,  or disable both cellular and wifi).

This will likely affect apps that are designed to use PeriodicTask when there is no network connectivity (such as tracking location at a low interval rate, or monitoring battery level).

This issue will be considered for correction in a future version of the phone operating system.

-Mark

Mark Chamberlain Sr. Escalation Engineer | Microsoft Developer Support | Windows Phone 8

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:03 PM

All replies

• Can you provide a simple sample? Does the problem occur in either a WP7 or WP8 app? Is it a ResourceIntensiveTask?

-Mark

Mark Chamberlain Sr. Escalation Engineer | Microsoft Developer Support | Windows Phone 8

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 5:03 PM
  • Hello,

It's a PeriodicTask and it occur in a WP8. I don't have tried in wp7 because the battery api are not supported.

I have a Lumia 920 for device test.

I will post a sample as soon as possible.

Tiziano Cacioppolini

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 5:58 PM
  • Hello again,

here my Sample.

You need to open the app to start the periodic agent. The wide tile show every 30 minutes the last update time.

The problem occur when you don't have internet connection or airplane mode on.

In emulator all is ok, but in Lumia 920 the agent don't works. Same problem in another lumia 920 device.

Tiziano Cacioppolini

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 10:40 PM
  • I tried your sample but for some reason it didn't post the tile update even with internet turned on.

Regardless, it doesn't seem likely that calling the battery api would have any bearing on the triggering of the periodic agent.  So you can try this test approach:

1. get your app running as a WP7 app, minus the battery api call, and test the periodicity on a WP7 phone,
    2. try the same app on one or more WP8 phone device models,
    3. recompile as a WP8 app and retest,
    4. finally add the battery api and retest.

-Mark

Friday, December 21, 2012 5:38 PM
  • Hi,

Let me add that problem with background agent periodicity exists from a very long time. It was present in WP7 and is still present in WP8.

My friend was telling me that he noticed that his app on WP7 doesn't always trigger agent.

Now I have the same problem with my WP8 app - I didn't experience it by myself but my users often tell me that tile doesn't update. I know that agent doesn't fire because I save something to log every time(at the beginning of the agent, code is very simple, so I'm sure it's ok) and sometimes there's no update for hours or at all. Sometimes reboot or reinstall helps. Sometimes I get comments that tile stopped working after an update, although I didn't change anything(that's a lot of 'sometimes...').

I have also seen comments in other apps that for some users tile is not updating. It seems to be very random, I didn't notice any pattern and I have no idea what could be the reason. Or maybe we all just make some silly mistake which is not likely. Or users do(which is more likely ;)). Anyway, it would be great if you could tell dev team to look into it.

Friday, December 21, 2012 7:45 PM
  • At moment I sold my WP7 to buy a WP8 device, then I can't test in wp7.

But with my WP8, I downloaded some apps with background agents who don't need internet connection.

All apps have the same behavior: with airplane mode or no internet connection, agent don't work! This problem don't seems related to battery app.

I don't see any problem in the emulator. Can you investigate with MS team please?

Tiziano Cacioppolini

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 2:16 PM
  • here a random bad rating:

"What is this app doing in the background? Why in the world would it need data access permissions to show the battery level?? "

Tiziano Cacioppolini

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 2:47 PM
  • Perhaps your periodic agent isn't running for the reason described below (which is for Windows 8 but the mechanism is the same).

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jimoneil/archive/2012/08/09/windows-8-notifications-periodic-notifications.aspx

Design Considerations for Periodic Notifications

Special Delivery

When designing your application’s notification strategy, be aware of a few “what if’s” impacting the delivery of periodic notifications:

• The actual notification request will be issued within 15 minutes of the specified interval; therefore, you can’t rely on precise scenarios like a notification being triggered every hour on the hour.
    • Content for a periodic notification is delivered only if the client device is connected to the network. If there is no connectivity or there is a problem accessing the URI, that polling iteration attempt is skipped, and the URI won’t be requested again until the next regularly scheduled interval.

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 10:17 PM
  • Perhaps your periodic agent isn't running for the reason described below (which is for Windows 8 but the mechanism is the same).

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jimoneil/archive/2012/08/09/windows-8-notifications-periodic-notifications.aspx

Design Considerations for Periodic Notifications

Special Delivery

When designing your application’s notification strategy, be aware of a few “what if’s” impacting the delivery of periodic notifications:

• The actual notification request will be issued within 15 minutes of the specified interval; therefore, you can’t rely on precise scenarios like a notification being triggered every hour on the hour.
    • Content for a periodic notification is delivered only if the client device is connected to the network. If there is no connectivity or there is a problem accessing the URI, that polling iteration attempt is skipped, and the URI won’t be requested again until the next regularly scheduled interval.

I'm a bit confused...

then PeriodicTask works like Push notifications? No internet connection = no periodictask?

In this article msdn there is no warning about internet connection in PeriodicTask.

Tiziano Cacioppolini

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 10:49 PM
  • I would like to investigate this further but unfortunately will need to happen next week.

-Mark

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 11:03 PM
  • I would like to investigate this further but unfortunately will need to happen next week.

-Mark

Nice holidays :)

Tiziano Cacioppolini

Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:19 AM
  • How is the investigation going? :)
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:23 AM
  • Hi Tom,

Thanks for pinging this thread...

Several scenarios can cause the Periodic Agent to terminate.

Background agents for Windows Phone

• Unsupported APIs
    • Memory usage cap
    • Expiration
    • Unscheduling if the app exceeds the memory quota or emits any other unhandled exception
    • Too many periodic agents scheduled on the phone

You should wrap your code with exception handling.

I suggest that in general you should get a very simple background agent working and proven, and then add your specific features. Retest to ensure that something specific to your code is not causing problems. Test your app's behavior with other apps also present in the device; especially those that use background agents.

-Mark

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 3:02 PM
  • Hi Tom,

Thanks for pinging this thread...

Several scenarios can cause the Periodic Agent to terminate.

Background agents for Windows Phone

• Unsupported APIs
    • Memory usage cap
    • Expiration
    • Unscheduling if the app exceeds the memory quota or emits any other unhandled exception
    • Too many periodic agents scheduled on the phone

You should wrap your code with exception handling.

I suggest that in general you should get a very simple background agent working and proven, and then add your specific features. Retest to ensure that something specific to your code is not causing problems. Test your app's behavior with other apps also present in the device; especially those that use background agents.

-Mark

With my tests, all apps with agent have the same problem in my device (lumia 920): when the internet connection is off or airplane mode is on, the agent don't work.

I can use this sample from msdn, and I have the same behavior. Can your team do this test?

One more question: can you check also this thread?

Thanks

Tiziano Cacioppolini

• Proposed as answer by manaryde Friday, September 20, 2013 11:46 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by manaryde Friday, September 20, 2013 11:46 PM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:48 PM
  • Hi,

at first: i am glad i found this thread and it looks like other developers have the same issue.
    I am having the same problem on my WP8 with my app "Week View". :/

I have been searching for the problem for 2 days now, added logging, did many tests, ...

The background task is used to update a live tile that shows the next appointments.
    It does NOT use network or internet access since appointments are loaded from the "local calendar".

Test results:

- Runnning the App with WiFi connection enabled: everythting works fine.
    - Disabling Wifi: Live tile no longer updates. (i waited for 2 hours)

Now it gets innterresting:

After waiting for 2 hours i turned on WiFi on the phone => The live tile updated immediatly!

Another Test:

- Running a DEBUG version of my app on my phone that makes a call to 

ScheduledActionService.LaunchForTest(task.Name, TimeSpan.FromSeconds(30));

=> The live tile now always updates (every 30 seconds), even when WiFi is disabled. So updating the live tile in DEBUG mode works. (i know, this cannot be used in a Release-Build)

My App does not exceed any time or memory limits (i tests this many times the last 2 days, logging memory peaks and other things).

It also does NOT disable the background task agent (so i assume no exceptions are thrown 2 times in a row) but the RELEASE Build with WiFi turned off still does not update the live tile.

Conclusion: If WiFi is disabled, the OS does not execute background taks agents, even if they are enabled.

MS, please investigate this, since users expect that background task agents work even when no WiFi connection exists.

@Tiziano Cacioppolini: You already tested this with the MSDN sample for background task agents and the problem exists here too? This is the thing i wanted to do next but it's not necessary if you already did this.

• Edited by HannesBiri Saturday, February 02, 2013 3:31 PM
    Saturday, February 02, 2013 3:15 PM
  • Hi,

at first: i am glad i found this thread and it looks like other developers have the same issue.
    I am having the same problem on my WP8 with my app "Week View". :/

I have been searching for the problem for 2 days now, added logging, did many tests, ...

The background task is used to update a live tile that shows the next appointments.
    It does NOT use network or internet access since appointments are loaded from the "local calendar".

Test results:

- Runnning the App with WiFi connection enabled: everythting works fine.
    - Disabling Wifi: Live tile no longer updates. (i waited for 2 hours)

Now it gets innterresting:

After waiting for 2 hours i turned on WiFi on the phone => The live tile updated immediatly!

Another Test:

- Running a DEBUG version of my app on my phone that makes a call to 

ScheduledActionService.LaunchForTest(task.Name, TimeSpan.FromSeconds(30));

=> The live tile now always updates (every 30 seconds), even when WiFi is disabled. So updating the live tile in DEBUG mode works. (i know, this cannot be used in a Release-Build)

My App does not exceed any time or memory limits (i tests this many times the last 2 days, logging memory peaks and other things).

It also does NOT disable the background task agent (so i assume no exceptions are thrown 2 times in a row) but the RELEASE Build with WiFi turned off still does not update the live tile.

Conclusion: If WiFi is disabled, the OS does not execute background taks agents, even if they are enabled.

MS, please investigate this, since users expect that background task agents work even when no WiFi connection exists.

@Tiziano Cacioppolini: You already tested this with the MSDN sample for background task agents and the problem exists here too? This is the thing i wanted to do next but it's not necessary if you already did this.

Yes I already tested it.

We are on the same way :D

Tiziano Cacioppolini

Sunday, February 03, 2013 2:16 PM
  • I did some tests today and unfortunatelly my results are different. I used WP7 device, because I don't have WP8.

I made a sample background agent app with LaunchForTest set for 1 minute. I runned it in debug, after 3 minutes nothing happens. I also checked one sample app I found somewhere and sample from msdn - results the same as above. But finally background agents fired, all at once, after 15 minutes from installing the last app. From this moment all agents were working correctly, every 1 minute.

I changed one of them to release and deleted LaunchForTest method. WiFi is on and airplane mode is off. I runned the app. In this moment 2 agents with LaunchForTest stopped updating. They updated after 30 minutes, with the third agent. Then these 2 with LaunchForTest were updating every 1 minute. I disabled one of them in system settings. In this moment the second one with LaunchForTest stopped updating too. It updated after 30 minutes, together with the agent in release mode. And from now they were both updating only once every 30 minutes.

Then I tested WiFi and airplane mode. Unfortunatelly agents were working when I disabled WiFi or turned on airplane mode. I hoped that I will confirm your results, but in my case everything was fine.

So my obervations from these tests are:

- Problem is independent from Wi-Fi and airplane mode or it exists only on WP8. I will do the tests again when I get WP8 device.

- Agents are not independent and changing one(remove/add) can affect time of update of other agents.

Sunday, February 03, 2013 5:04 PM
  • hi,

i did some more testing on my WP8 phone (htc 8x) and my WP7 phone (samsung omnia 7).

My App 'Week View' has a WP7 version and a WP8 version (with some WP8 specific features like voice commands, SaveAppointmentTask, ...) but both apps share about 90% of the code.

The code, used in the BackgroundTaskAgent of both versions is the same (i added some logging code in the wp8 version to help me find this live tile issue).

As written above:

The Live Tile of the WP8 version does NOT update, when the phone is in airplane mode.

I tested this on my WP7 phone, set to airplane mode too.

The live Tile of the WP7 version DOES update, when the phone is in airplane mode.

So in fact it looks like this is a WP8 issue.
    I will do some more testing tomorrow.

Maybe someone with a WP7 phone can try to reproduce my test result.

• Edited by HannesBiri Monday, February 04, 2013 7:54 AM
    Monday, February 04, 2013 7:53 AM
  • Well, here is a question for you.

Why is it that there is a cap on the scheduled agents? and why is it that some apps can have a higher priority agents (which cant be turned off) whereas others do not? For instance, many OEM specific apps have these agents in the "can't stop it" category. Whereas many other non OEM apps do not.

Shouldn't there be an equal right for these agents to run? Right now i am battling with a problem: why my agent does not work on my phone.It appears there are too many agents already registered, since other users report it to be working fine. Why is there such a cap? can't the phone just run them one by one? If there isn't enough memory for all to run at once, then just prioritize them to work one by one.

Right now, if you have an app that is dependent on the agents, then you need to pray to the big God above that the user does not have too many other agents...

Also, the unscheduled policy is rather confusing: if the agent encounters an unexpected error, which is outside of the developer's responsibility and leaks memory, for instance, why unschedule it? Simply abort the session and wait for the next scheduled run. It is very confusing for both the user and the developers.

IMO, the whole agent policy needs some serious rethinking.

Monday, February 04, 2013 9:36 AM
  • I tested it on WP8 device and I confirm your results. But it is not only about Wi-Fi, it is in general about Internet connection. When I disabled Wi-Fi, but left cellular connection then agent still worked, but when I also disabled cellular connection then agent stopped updating. It updated right after I switched it on.
    Friday, February 08, 2013 9:21 PM
  • Then we wait only an aswer from wpdev team ;)

Tiziano Cacioppolini

Friday, February 08, 2013 9:47 PM
  • Hi,

It appears that there is a problem with the ResourceIntensiveTask, in the WP8 OS. More info is coming.

Regarding PeriodicTask, can anybody else chime in on their experiences? Any hidden or undocumented gotchas or caveats?

Thanks!
    Mark

Friday, February 08, 2013 9:59 PM
  • Hello guys,

I'm using a PeriodicTask too, mine updates a tile if wifi is on or off (the app is Easy Connect) and it appears the update happens only if the wifi is on.

When I activate wifi and connection is on, the tile updates almost immediatly, it also happens that other apps background agents work at the same time after the wifi is enabled.

(didn't try with 3G) 
    Saturday, February 09, 2013 5:40 PM
  • My app does NOT use a 'ResourceIntensiveTask' but the problem occurs - as explained in my posting below.

regards,
    Hannes

Saturday, February 09, 2013 10:43 PM
  • Hi there,

I can confirm the behaviour HannesBiri describes.

My app Track My Life runs every 30 minutes on my WP7. No matter if the phone has a network connection or not.

My WP8 (Lumia 820) only runs if it has a network connection. If it had  no network connection for more than 40 minutes and regains a network connection, the periodic task is invoked immediately.

BTW: my whole periodic task runs inside a try/catch block. Hence, I am pretty sure there is no exception thrown which I don't handle.

What is the progress of this issue?

It is very urgent to me: I have received lots of bad ratings for my app by WP8 users because the app does not work as good as on WP7.

Check out my app Track My Life

• Edited by alexderekrein Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:31 AM Added Exception Handling
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:28 AM
  • Hi,

It appears that there is a problem with the ResourceIntensiveTask, in the WP8 OS. More info is coming.

Regarding PeriodicTask, can anybody else chime in on their experiences? Any hidden or undocumented gotchas or caveats?

Thanks!
    Mark

Any updates on the issue yet?

Regards,

Derek

Monday, February 18, 2013 7:11 AM
  • Hi,

Confirmation: PeriodicTask fails to trigger if there is no network connectivity in WP8 (enable Airplane mode,  or disable both cellular and wifi).

This will likely affect apps that are designed to use PeriodicTask when there is no network connectivity (such as tracking location at a low interval rate, or monitoring battery level).

This issue will be considered for correction in a future version of the phone operating system.

-Mark

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:03 PM
  • Hi,

-Mark

Nice!

Thanks you :)

Tiziano Cacioppolini

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:25 PM
  • Hi,

-Mark

Dear Mark,

it would be great if you could keep us posted on the progress of the issue.

From my point of view it is an important issue as users expect Live Tiles to work as well if they're offline. At least I have received bad reviews for that reason.

Regards,

Derek

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 8:15 PM
  • Mark Chamberlain, can this please be verified if this problem also persists for ResourceIntensiveTask as well in WP 8.0?
    Friday, February 22, 2013 9:00 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, there is a known issue with ResourceIntensiveTask not working correctly in Windows Phone 8 devices (the problem applies to both 7.1 and 8.0 apps). This is all the information I have at this time; I will forward you any updates when I receive them.

-Mark

Friday, February 22, 2013 4:06 PM
  • Hey Mark,

any updates?
    Friday, May 10, 2013 6:06 AM
  • Hi,

The fix is scheduled for a future update, but I cannot offer a time line.  The timeline is dependent on Microsoft's release schedule, as well as each Phone OEM's build schedule and the deployment of the update by each mobile carrier.

-Mark

Getting Started? Click here
    Blog: Windows Store & Phone Developer Solutions

Friday, May 10, 2013 2:28 PM
  • Dear Mark,

any news yet on when this will be fixed?

Regards,

Derek

Sunday, July 28, 2013 7:26 AM
  • Hi Derek,

I am no longer actively handling Forum issues as I have moved to a different team (Windows Embedded).  Having said that, the best approach at this time is to continue monitoring for updates to your phone from your carrier.

-Mark

Getting Started? Click here
    Blog: Windows Store & Phone Developer Solutions

Monday, July 29, 2013 3:03 PM
  • Hi Mark,

thanks for getting back so fast!

Is there a bug fix in the GDR2 update?

Regards,

Derek

Friday, August 02, 2013 8:42 PM
  • Hi,

Have had the same issue and not too polite reviews in Windows Phone Store because of this.

As I'm still waiting for GDR2 update, I want to ask if anybody tried to reproduce this issue on GDR2? Has it been fixed there?

Thank you!

Monday, August 19, 2013 12:49 PM
  • I'm running on GDR2 and have the issue is still present.

Hallis

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 7:28 PM
  • This is an very bad problem!

Why the background agent does not working without connection to the internet.

I have two apps whit many downloads.

8.1 Locks Screen and Battery Live Tile Editor

Both apps does not work without connection and some user rate it bad.

So please fixing the problem and fixing it fast.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:12 PM
  • This is an very bad problem!

Why the background agent does not working without connection to the internet.

I have two apps whit many downloads.

8.1 Locks Screen and Battery Live Tile Editor

Both apps does not work without connection and some user rate it bad.

So please fixing the problem and fixing it fast.

Same here with my apps... 

Tiziano Cacioppolini

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:13 AM
  • Is there any update on this thread? Has Microsoft even acknowledged that they are going to fix this issue because its still there in GDR2. This is a real problem and many users give bad ratings on apps unknowingly. Please fix it ASAP !!
    Monday, September 16, 2013 10:39 AM
  • hi,

just wanted to inform you that i have the same problem with my apps.
    Additionally some (not many) users turn of their phone and when they turn it on the live tile is not up to date so it would be nice, if the mechanism that triggers live tile updates also runns, when the phone is turned on, so all live tiles are up to date.

Monday, September 23, 2013 7:30 AM
  • GDR3 is out, I have it on my device, and the problem is still there!
    Still the background agent runs only when there's active Internet connection. Please fix that quickly and at least tell us when this issue will be fixed. Thanks MS.

Hujer

Saturday, December 07, 2013 11:37 AM
  • Just wanted to inform you, that i am using GDR3 for some time now (i also used the early access version that was provided for developers).

The live tile update problem is not fixed with GDR3.

I consider this as a major bug (it was working in WP7!) that should be fixed as soon as possible.

Since MS promotes the live tiles as THE cool feature of windows phone shouldn't users expect these live tiles to at least work?

Saturday, December 07, 2013 1:22 PM
  • I am also eager to see this bugfix.

Is there any info, that is gonna be fixed in WP 8.1?

I have read somewhere that background tasks will be "rewritten" in WP 8.1, I really hope so and that it will work too.

Monday, January 20, 2014 11:01 AM
  • Dont hold your breath until its fixed, or you may suffocate! Actually, not "MAY", but WILL! There is no uncertainty regarding this.

Most probably this is a "by design" thing inside Redmond, in that case they will never-ever change the behavior. UNLESS there is a huge global scandal about it, showing it in the evening news as well. We all know, this will never happen.  They enforce the use of their always-online Azure spy-datacenter with the WP8 API being unable to provide any other reasonable alternatives to the developer.

Monday, February 17, 2014 9:23 AM
  • Hi,

-Mark

1 year latter and it is still not fixed

I suppose it comes with windows phone 8.1

Tuesday, April 01, 2014 5:52 PM
  • Its pure wishful thinking, nothing more. As MS never formally acknowledged this bug -this poor developer even changed team midtime just to avoid being charged for the resolution- you have literally nobody to demand the fix from.

8.1 may change this, or not at all, we - who pay the $$$ to MS- have 0 influence on this.

Tuesday, April 01, 2014 7:05 PM