none
File Replication Service: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion.

Question

• I am trying to install an Active directory server, I am getting this error, I dont know why its there, I am not trying , and dont need remote file services. This is the errir I get, Does anyone know how to remediate this issue?
    File Replication Service: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion.
    I am installing it on a vm server for testing.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 3:17 AM

All replies

• Open up Services.  You can get to Services from Manage My Computer.  I find the easiest way to open it is right click on the My Computer icon, and select manage.

Services will be under Configuration in Server 2008 R?.  In Server 2003 R? it is under Services and Applications.

Here, you can scroll down to File Replication Service and double click it to open up its property page.  There, you can try starting it and check on the Dependencies.  The next step is to check the dependent services to see if they are running and if you can start them if they are not.  This should help you diagnose.

What Windows Server versions are you using?
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 3:40 AM
  • @Brain Borg,

I understand that this post is one year old, But I need a help. I tried doing what you said above but i dont see any dependency service. Can you please help me out with this?

Thank you in advance.

Monday, March 28, 2011 4:47 AM
  • What Windows Server version are you using?

On my Server 2008 R2 with SP1, I see that File Replication Service (NtFrs) depends on the following system components:

• Active Directory Domain Services
    • Com+ Event System
    • and Remote Procedure Call (RPC).

RPC depends on DCOM Server Process Launcher and RPC Endpoint Mapper.

All of those need to be running before NtFrs will start.  Server 2008 and 2008 R2 without SP1 would be the same or similar.

Monday, March 28, 2011 7:44 PM