none
Windows PE | Boot from USB

Question

• Hello,
    At my job i have created a bootable usb stick [32GB usb2 SSD disk] with Vista PE [waik]
    but we seem to miss a 'windows explorer' to manage files and data. there is a working
    explorer by the name of bsexplorer and wonder if there is another version available.

Also i have seen a Windows XP PE version with the explorer.exe running just fine...how
    to obtain the xp pe version. We have access to technet online/dvd's and using xppro vlk
    in our company.

sorry if this is posted in the wrong group since i could not find the correct one.
    rgds

if you can't fixit, don't ...
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 4:29 PM

All replies

• Hi anoe,

Thanks for the post, I'm trying to get some insight on your issue. I'll update you, once I have more information to share with you.

Thanks,

Shruti
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 5:59 PM
  • Hi anoe,

Thanks for the post, I'm trying to get some insight on your issue. I'll update you, once I have more information to share with you.

Thanks,

Shruti
    Shruti Mishra , Thank you for the response to my post. Since then there is a lot i have learned about having the real windows explorer
    on e.g. an windows PE. Actually i have dropped digging into because i found a way to have an full embedded XPSP2 that even can be
    updated running from my 32GB memory stick [SILICON POWER eSATA/USB SSD]. I could not believe it so i took out the internal HDD
    and started my laptop from USB. It did came up with 'found new hardware' etc and i did copied the install files for my network with no
    problem. Now, when a pc is missing a startup file lke ntldr i can just use the usb to start the pc and work on that windows. Then in my
    lunchbreask i can solve the problem :-)

Still it feels incomplete when there would not be an explorer for XP and/or Vista PE where i could use the right mouse click on the 'my
    computer' icon and choose e.g. manage.

Rgds, anunado [Anoe]

Friday, November 06, 2009 2:47 PM
  • Hi anoe,

Thanks for the update.

This forum is for Windows Server Application Compatibility and Certification. However, I have tried to find out that, it looks like windows explorer is not available when you use Windows PE. As per the extract from the Technet magazine:-

“You'll note that it doesn't include Windows Explorer, and as such does not have any of the regular Windows shell available. It's truly a bare-bones installation”

More details can be found at Getting Started with Windows PE.

Additionally, I have also found some other links that may help you:-

1.       How to make Windows PE boot from USB Thumb drive...

2.       Windows PE 2.0 for Windows Vista Overview

3.       Getting started with Windows PE

4.       Walkthrough: Create a Bootable Windows PE RAM Disk on a USB Flash Disk

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Shruti

• Proposed as answer by Shruti Mishra Friday, November 06, 2009 3:41 PM
    Friday, November 06, 2009 3:25 PM
  • Hi anoe,

Thanks for the update.

This forum is for Windows Server Application Compatibility and Certification. However, I have tried to find out that, it looks like windows explorer is not available when you use Windows PE. As per the extract from the Technet magazine:-

“You'll note that it doesn't include Windows Explorer, and as such does not have any of the regular Windows shell available. It's truly a bare-bones installation”

More details can be found at Getting Started with Windows PE .

1.        How to make Windows PE boot from USB Thumb drive...

2.        Windows PE 2.0 for Windows Vista Overview

3.        Getting started with Windows PE

4.        Walkthrough: Create a Bootable Windows PE RAM Disk on a USB Flash Disk

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Shruti

Shruti Mishra

Thank you for the quick and very helpful url's in your post. And i am sorry to have 'polluted' the wrong forum.
    The mod. may delete these post from here to keep all nicely in order... I could not find the correct forum space
    for this and i am happy, very happy that you took the time to reply.

anoe

Friday, November 06, 2009 8:02 PM
  • Hi anoe,

Thanks for the update.

More details can be found at Getting Started with Windows PE.

1.       How to make Windows PE boot from USB Thumb drive...

2.       Windows PE 2.0 for Windows Vista Overview

3.       Getting started with Windows PE

4.       Walkthrough: Create a Bootable Windows PE RAM Disk on a USB Flash Disk

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Shruti

Many Thanks to your efforts! it great to reference!
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 1:36 AM