none
Installing Windows Server 2008 R2 in virtual box with Windows 7

Question

• Hi,

I am trying to install Windows Server 2008 r2 in virtual box in my Windows 7 home premium (laptop). I face the following issues, can any one pls help me

1) Tried with Microsoft Virtual server 2007 -- while installing it errored that it will not run in windows 7 home premium edition

2) so i downloaded Oracle's Virtual Box and tried installing windows server 2008 r2 in that i got the below error

VT-Xx/AMD-V hardware acceleration has been enabled, but is not operational. Your 64-bit guest will fail t detect a 64-bit CPU and will not be able to boot
    Please ensure that you have enabled VT-x/AMD-V properly in the BIOS of your host computer

I am using i7 AMD processor with 8gb ram in my laptop....

can any one guide me on how to solve this error

Thanks Karthikeyan Anbarasan http://f5debug.net/
    Monday, June 27, 2011 10:01 AM

All replies

• Are you running Windows 7 32-bit or Windows 7 64-bit, you will need to be running Windows 7 64-bit to run 64-bit I think (I have never tried it on 32-bit).

Also have you made sure that the Virtualization is turned on in your machine's BIOS?

Bill Chesnut BizTalk Server MVP Melbourne Australia
    Sunday, July 03, 2011 12:55 AM
  • Hey Bill

Did Karthikeyan ever get back to you to indicate whether that was the issue?  Have you determined whether it is certain that you can't run a 64 bit guest system on a 32 bit host system?  I asume it is possible to install a 32 bit host system on a 64 bit machine.  If this is done wouldn't it be possible to install a 64 bit guest system?

I would be interested in know more about this (And would be willing to propose your answer as an answer as well.) ;-)

Edward R. Joell MCSD MCDBA
    • Edited by joeller Thursday, January 26, 2012 2:25 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2012 8:39 PM
  • No, they did not get back to me.

I don't have any Windows 7 32 bit machines to test on, but the big issues would be available memory, since 32 bit is limited to 4GB.

Bill Chesnut | BizTalk Server MVP | Mexia Consulting | Melbourne Australia
    http://www.biztalkbill.com
    Please indicate "Mark as Answer" if this post has answered the question.
    Friday, January 27, 2012 10:10 PM
  • Bill;

I read about the new Windows Virtual PC that is a free downloaded install to Windows 7.  But according to the documentation it does not guest any Windows Server.  Also according to sites I read, Microsoft does not support the installation of Virtual PC 2007 on Windows 7.  It appears that VMWare Player may support Windows Server 2003 as a guest, but it is not clear whether this is when hosted on Windows 7 or Windows 2003.

Update:  However both VMWare Player and Workstation must be installed on a 64 bit machine.

This link states that you can run a 64 bit system on a 32 bit how with Virtual Box if you enable VT-X /AMD-V in the bios if the system has the capacity.  They provide a check to determine if your system has the capacity, but it is Linux command line script which is greeek to me.  One would think that there is some kind of Windows command line script to accomplish the same thing though.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/41550/how-do-i-run-a-64-bit-guest-in-virtualbox

Edward R. Joell MCSD MCDBA

• Edited by joeller Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:50 PM More info
    Monday, January 30, 2012 2:12 PM