none
Anti-virus software for Windows Server 2008 64bit

Question

• Hi, we are in progress of testing our software with WorkWithTool.

It says an anti-virus software for Windows Server 2008 64bit is needed.

Would you please designate one for us?

We have installed Kaspersky 6.0 for Windows Server which could run well on the operating system but cannot be recognized by the WorkWithTool.

Thanks very much.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 2:54 AM

Answers

All replies

•  

Feel free to use any Certified for Windows Vista antivirus software. These should work as well or better on Windows Server 2008 than Certified for Windows Server 2003 software.

We will update the Test Framework with this information, until Windows Server 2008 Certified antivirus software is available.

Here is one source of Vista Certified apps:

https://winqual.microsoft.com/member/softwarelogo/certifiedlist.aspx

Thanks for your query,

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 3:16 AM
  • hello, we still encountered the same problem.

1. we have installed kaspersky and nod32 specified in the website (Vista Certified Apps) you told us. however, neither of them can be recognized by WorkWithTool.

Would you please designate just one antivirus software for us including the version?

2. in addtion, there comes another question. Suppose the file "123.exe" is a system background service app contained in our software.

we have met the error in using WorkWithTool as below:

system32\123.exe sign fail
    syswow64\123.exe sign OK

123.exe is reported with no signature. it is so strange that as we put this file in directory"system32". it will be automatically transferred to "syswow64", which i think is the reason why it failed to be signed.

would you tell us the reason?

PS: WorkWithTool is so complicated...

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 9:45 AM
  • Would administrator or someone come to help me?

Thanks very much!!!

Thursday, October 25, 2007 8:07 AM
  • Hello Henry

Are you using the lastest version of Works with tool (WWT)?

The antivirus check has been moved from the pre-requisites page and is now part of a questionnaire.

So it should no longer be a problem.

You can download the latest version of WWT here:

http://innovateonwindowsserver.com/resources.aspx

As for your note on the binary signature test, can you help clarify if the issue is as I have described below?

BinaryX placed under \system32 is reported as signed by WWT. However BinaryX placed under \syswow64\ is reported as unsigned by WWT

Thanks,

[Venkat] | Windows Server Logo

www.InnovateOnWindowsServer.com

• Proposed as answer by johan.manner Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:59 PM
    Friday, October 26, 2007 2:19 AM
  • Thanks very much!!! Venkat Krishnamachari

1. As we upgrade to the latest version of WorkWithTool, the issue got solved.

2. When we tried to put that file on Windows root directory, it was also solved, to our surprise.

Now we've downloaded Windows Server 2008 RC0 32bit.

When WorkWithTool is "Analyzing system, please wait...", an error message box jumped out

"Error taking snapshot"

When we're using the older version of workwithtool and windows server 2008 b3, it is never encountered.

Would you tell us why?

Very sorry for interruption again...

We suffered a lot from this tool. sigh...

Friday, October 26, 2007 2:54 AM
  •  

We are here to help Wink

So, let's see what's going on with your installation of WWT.

Can you do the below so we can assist you better:

Send an email to wslogofb@microsoft.com with the below information:

1. Configuration of your computer (Hardware, OS, Is virtual machine?)

2. In event log look under 'Application and services logs' \ 'Works with tool' and get the error reported there (copy text)

3. Go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Corporation\Microsoft Works with Tool\ and right click on 'Works with tool.exe' , select properties, digital signatures tab - Note the 'time stamp' the signature

We will be glad to assist you better with the above information.

Thanks,

[Venkat]

PS: Most folks that have used the tool have reported that they are Smile -ing .

Let's see how we can help you do the same Wink

Friday, October 26, 2007 3:06 AM
  •  

it's very kind of you and we should show our appreciation!!!

it's all about our anti-virus software which causes the error, once we uninstall it, everything returns to normal......

Friday, October 26, 2007 5:14 AM
  • Great!

Let us know how your testing goes.

Once you have completed testing successfully (and pass) you can sign up to participate in the 'works with' program at http://innovateonwindowsserver.com/

Thanks.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 6:55 AM
  •  

So is the antivirus software required to pass Works with Windows serevr 2008 test?

If it is required can you please poing us to some exact version of antivirus that will work on Windows Server 2008 64bit and will be accepted by the Work with Tool? We have tried a dosen of these products, none of them can help.

If antivirus software is not required anymore would you please remove this requirement also form the "Windows Server 2008 Software Test Framework" document?

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 2:33 PM
  • Can I use Microsft security essentials for windows server 2008 r2 32bit ? And also Can i configure Windows defender for windows server editions?

Out-of-Tpic : Can I use ReadyBoost on  a removale drive on windows server 2008 r2 : I am currently using win server on a virtual machine :

Can I run all the normal applications on it (like on windows 7)

Monday, June 21, 2010 10:21 AM
  • As far as i can research Microsoft security essentials will not work with server software.
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 5:46 PM
  • As far as i can research Microsoft security essentials will not work with server software.
    Dec 16, MS released MSE version 2.0, and it works with server software!
    • Proposed as answer by JesseHicks Friday, January 07, 2011 10:08 PM
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 8:15 PM
  • Hi,

I didn't find any information that confirm WSE is comptable for Windows Server 2008 !

Could you send me some links where you saw that ?

Thanks.

Monday, July 04, 2011 8:03 AM