none
Optimizing KMDF Filter Driver for WPT5?

Question

• Is there any reason to add any tracing code to my KMDF filter driver (built using VS2011 driver project) in order to take better advantage of WPT5?  If so, do you have any recommendations on what type of tracing calls to support?

On a related note, I am wondering whether there is any mechanism to graphically display custom events, or is this will be limited to textual/list output only?

Thanks,

David

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 6:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

not sure, but ...

With the good old WPT v4.x you only need to follow the following way of reporting and if necessary you add some own parts and it should work. May be you can do simular the same with the ADK. unfortunately I was not able to check the current online help for simula information.

Best regards

Rainer

RPA
    Friday, February 03, 2012 8:23 AM
  • Hi David,

Win8 WPA lets you visualize your own driver events in the Generic Events graph. It's quite flexible and you can group/filter the data as you wish and graph different things in it too (line graphs, stacked line/bar graphs, gantt charts, and marks). It definitely makes sense to instrument key scenarios in your driver to help provide frame of reference with the trace during analysis. Note also that Windows 8 has minifilter driver instrumentation of its own that you might find useful. Please take a look at the Filter Driver asessment shipping with the ADK.

Hope this helps,  Michael

Monday, February 20, 2012 8:32 AM
    Owner