none
conime.exe spawns but doesn't die

Question

•  

I'm using visual studio 2k8 on Vista.  I am working on a windows form application.  Whenever I start debugging the application from visual studio conime.exe starts (puzzling, it doesn't when the applications is launched directly, just when debugging), which really isn't of consequence.  The only problem is that when I stop debugging conime.exe stays active.  If I then debug again a second instance is spawned (and another instance every time I debug).  I guess it isn't technically hurting anything, but I don't enjoy having to manually go and kill conime to get it out of memory. 

Does anyone know what might be the cause, and/or how to get it to stop spawning so many freaking copies of the process?

Thanks

Saturday, January 05, 2008 3:05 AM

All replies

• I had a similar problem but it only appeared when I compiled or did a build all, not when debugging (I am using VS 2005).

On my computer, I was having two languages enabled, English and Swedish and since I only use the Swedish language on my computer I removed the English langauge making Swedish the only language available, it solved the problem for me.

I came to this conlusion since I thought that I had read somewhere that conime was used for console apps with some different language setting or something. Further, the build takes place in a non-interactive console window (at least that was my guess) together with the fact that I had two languages enabled I thought this might solve the problem.

Maybee it will work for you as well.

Best of luck,

Freddy

Friday, January 11, 2008 2:12 PM
  • I have the same problem on my Windows Vista machine, with Visual Studio 2008. It is more than annoying, as I have noted that an instance of conime.exe stays in the task manager for each project in my solution. So if I rebuild my solution with 4 projects in it twice, I have 8 instances of conime in my task list. After a few hours of work there are about 50!!!!!

Any help or suggestion with this issue would be appreciated!

Thursday, October 23, 2008 11:46 PM