none
Administrator Privileges

Question

• I just bought a new laptop with Windows Vista and created a user account, which is also an administrator account being the only account. Yet I have no administrator privileges !!!! I can't install anything, including msn messenger as I am told that I do not have permission!!! Then who the hell has permission??

Does anyone know what's going on?

Thursday, May 17, 2007 9:57 AM

All replies

• It is a 'feature' of Windows Vista: User Account Control (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/aa905108.aspx)

Right-click on the install program and select "Run as administrator". I don't know if MSN Messenger is compatible with Windows Vista, but you can install Windows Live Messenger (it is the new name of the MSN Messenger) from http://get.live.com/messenger/overview

• Proposed as answer by ScottQ Thursday, January 08, 2009 12:15 AM
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 3:07 PM
  • This did not help me as I have XP Professional.  As stated in the forum I am the only user on this computer.

Friday, February 22, 2008 12:04 AM
  • Margaret Ruth, you could try this:

First run Regedit (Start, Run, regedit.exe, OK).
    Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \
                                                                Winlogon \ SpecialAccounts \ UserList

Click on File, Export to save the key before you modify it
    Create a new DWORD value called Administrator (Click Edit, New, DWORD, type in Administrator in the
          edit box)
    Double-click on the new Administrator entry and set its value as 1 (one)
    Exit regedit

Now, in Windows Explorer, right click on the program you want to install and and select Run As...
    Click on the radio button for "The following user"
    Select yourself from the username list and enter your password in the proper box, click OK

The installation of the program should now proceed as if you were a logged in Administrator.
    • Proposed as answer by thari2564 Monday, January 05, 2009 8:00 PM
    Monday, January 05, 2009 7:59 PM