No sound with Windows Vista

Question

• I have a Dell Inspiron E1705. I just downloaded Vista Beta and love it. Except for hot having any sound. My speaker volume is up and not muted. All updates are complete. I did a driver update and it gave an up to date message. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your time,

BD

Saturday, October 14, 2006 2:41 AM

Answers

All replies

• This isn't really the right forum for this question.  I'd recommend trying the Windows Media Player newsgroup, since this is more of an end-user question: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/community/newsgroups/WindowsMedia/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player&lang=en&cr=US

I'm going to guess, though, that your audio drivers are either nor installed or not working.  Go to Control Panel --> Hardware and Sound --> Device Manager, and look under Sound, video and game controllers. 

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 1:50 PM
  • Hi, I am having the same problem can yu let me know if you have found a way round it, cheers

Sunday, October 29, 2006 9:57 AM
  • I'm stuck too...loaded Vista...lost my multimedia capabilites...

No sound whatsoever...

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 2:20 AM
  • Hi...I just installed the new drivers for windows vista tonight and also had no sound. By luck I found it. Here's what I did...control panel/system/divice manager/system devices/ I right clicked on system devices then clicked on scan for hardware changes (had to do it twice)...then got sound...hope it works for you!
    Wednesday, November 08, 2006 2:22 AM
  • i had the same problem with no sound.

all you have to do is download an audio driver.

this is probebly the best one to get as it worked fine for me.

it downloaded at around 1kb per second even though i have 8meg broadband, so it took a couple of hours. but its worth it.

download the audio driver here.

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SOUND-CARD/REALTEK/Realtek-AC-97-Audio-Codec-Driver-Vista-6156-Beta.shtml

just install and done!!!

Saturday, November 18, 2006 1:39 PM
  • i have almost the same promblem with you i had a dell computer ,pentium 4,window xp home edition.my speaker have no sound coming out.
    Wednesday, January 10, 2007 8:51 AM
  • i have amd 3800+ 64.......and mainboard, with soundcard built into it (as they do them now) and i install vista onto my comp....everything working ay-ok, but...the sound....no sound at all...says there is no sound device installed at all and it cant find any,i go on my device manger and there isnt a tab for Sound, video and game controllers! sound worked perfectly fine on xp but not on vista.......i go on help and support, and on there it suggests i turn up the volume......how stupid do they think we are?....c'mon, anyone got a way of getting the sound on? without having to buy a ******* ANOTHER soundcard etc.. please get back to me......
    Friday, February 02, 2007 9:57 PM
  • http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=23&PFid=23&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#AC

If you are using a Realtek AC'97 sound device, then go to the link above and download the Vista driver.  The download takes about 2 minutes. Before you download, unistall all drivers and devices related to the Realtek AC'97.  After download, extract all and then open 6213_Vista_APO.  Scroll down until you see 'setup' (Application 59KB) and click on it. Let it do it's thing and Windows will recognize the device but DO NOT let Windows install the driver, let the Realtek setup.  When it is complete, it will prompt to restart, so do it.

After a few hours of downloading drivers and unistalling and surfing the Web trying to find an answer, I found my own.  If I would have known Vista was going to be this big of a hassle I would have stuck to XP MCE.  You guys are welcome.  Oh, and if anyone is using a different device besides Realtek, sorry.

Saturday, February 03, 2007 5:57 AM
  • Did what you said to do....worked fine.....you saved me from spending a bunch of time and more money on a better card.....many thanks......very appreciated!!
    Friday, February 09, 2007 11:55 PM
  • This is my second time at installing vista as I had the dreaded winload.exe missing error on boot up. Be warned back up your work.

I had forgoten how to sort the sound problem out so thanks Brandon for the help. My problem now is that the set u tells me that it only supports vista/vista x64.....I am using vista.

Any ideas, oh and the set up file was 119KB.. have i got the wrong file.

Cheers

You would think that for $10Billion they would have this sort of thing sorted. 

Edit....

I have solved my problem. Here is the link, for anyone who's problem isn't solved with the above link I hope this works.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#High%20Definition%20Audio%20Codecs.

Saturday, February 10, 2007 1:03 PM
  • Ive done what both of you guys have said to do.. ive attempted it about 10 times and ive still no sound what so ever.. any other ideas?
    Sunday, February 11, 2007 7:34 PM
  • Thanks a lot. Downloading the realtek driver worked for me! Been spending about an hour a day for the past week or so. Thank you!
    Friday, February 16, 2007 1:42 AM
  • Thanks for a lot of good info, BUT:

I have a Multicenter with MCE, Intel 915p, Realtek etc., and have now used the last days and nights trying to solve my missing sound WITHOUT any luck.

I (clean) install Vista, and then install the (new) drivers according to the manufactors advice. First I install the new Intel chipset driver. Then I install the Realtek drivers. When I install XP, the sound comes on after this, but NOT in Vista. Actually Vista does not find any sound-drivers. But after a lot of struggeling, manually finding/installing the Realtek-drivers, I get the message that it cannot be started (code 10).

It seems that something is missing, and this also matches the manufactors instructions for the XP installation. Because when I install the Realtek drivers under XP I have to restart the PC two times, because the first time enables the Microsoft Audio Bus. Then the second time, the Realtek drivers gets installes. Under Vista I only restart once...

So I have searched a lot about MS Audio Bus, and finds a lot about a new MS sound "initiative", white papers, UUA etc.

BUT I need a solution to make my sound work again - can anybody help

Regards, Henrik (back on XP MCE to keep the multimedia-home running;-) 

Friday, February 16, 2007 4:02 PM
  • Hello!

I have just put a fresh copy of Vista onto my machine, it has picked everything up apart from my on board sound ALC655.  I have been to the realtek site and downloaded the driver and installed it and nothing.....windows reports the driver has installed but in device manager i still get "unknown multimedia device". 

THis is getting really annoying i have removed the hardware and tried installing the driver that way and nothing.....my next port of call is a new sound card but I would rather get my onboard sound working before i go down this avenue!

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks!

Saturday, February 24, 2007 10:49 AM
  • I can not get my sound divice to work on my computer.  about 6 months ago my harddrive crashed and dell sent a technician to put another in and when he did now my sound divice does not work.  what do I do?
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 5:38 PM
  • Well Becky, these are real people like me who took the plunge into Vista and now find half their drivers do not work or work at less than optimal settings.

I hate to say this but your remark that these questions belong to another forum is hardly helpful.

It leads me to believe that MS is not really interested in helping people upgrade to the new O/S. What you and the Wintel industry really want is for everybody to give up and buy new hardware or computers so that Bill and company can rake in the dough.

So far I found no driver for my quickcam logitech camera. My ATI All In Wonder 9600 radeon I just bought 18 months ago works only at a reduced resolution and no TV or DVD. And the icing on the cake is my Gateway's Audigy sound card no longer works after repeated re-installs!! I thought this was an upgrade not a downgrade I purchased.

As a rep for MS I believe you people on this forum an aplogy and an explanation of MS official policy.

My big question is whether I should just reinstall XP or if my concerns will be addressed by MS and I should keep the Vista I installed.

If I didn't have so much invested in Windows, I would certainly be considering MAC. Better yet Linux. Linux has a community of source programmers writing drivers and applications that are absolutely free. And frankly, the quality many times rivals or exceeds what Windows offers.

Saturday, March 10, 2007 8:54 PM
  • I had the same problem when I installed Vista. The only difference is that I couldn't hear sounds while online; I could only hear sound that were through windows. I had to go into my internet options. Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly what I did, but that should give you a starting point. Good Luck
    Friday, March 16, 2007 12:05 AM
  • if you have realtek downloaded in a folder go device manager,then hardware devices click on multimedia, run hardware maniger use browse  

point at realtek folder, worked for me with same problem.good luck

Saturday, March 17, 2007 12:03 PM
  • I have a new Dell 1501 and lost all sound after upgrading Windows Vista Prem.

Went to Dells support web site and found my operating system in the download area. Down loaded the driver update for my audio system (http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen) Now everything is working great.

Good Luck

Monday, March 19, 2007 2:52 AM
  • Hey check this out. I figured it out! Took me long enough but I did it. And this worked for several of my other friends who I walked through it (15 of them or so). Here it is.

What I noticed is that for some ODD reason when installed Windows Vista Installs an HD Digital Audio Device on your computer. In which some people, such as I, don't even have a jack for it on their computer.

Hopefully this is this case for you as it was for all my other friends.  So this is what to do......

-Right click on the speaker icon in the bottom right corner of the screen
    -Left click on playback devices.
    -Now hopefully you'll see your "Speakers" and you'll see another one that says "Digital Output Device (SPDIF)"
    • Disable that device
    • Right click your "Speakers" and enable them....then test them
    I hope that works for you...let me know how it went.
    Wednesday, March 21, 2007 1:17 AM
  •  

i had a problem on a new HP with Vista pre=installed.  my audio stopped working after the required Vista upgrade on 3/18/07.  i searched the knowledge base and found a link to realtek audio drivers.  in spite of device manager saying that my Realtec drivers were fine, i downloaded the new driver from the link:

www.realtek.com.tw/downloads site. 

this fixed my problem. 

good luck.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 5:30 AM
  • This also worked for me after reboot.  Thanks mugceee!

V

Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:26 PM
  • I just bought a gateway an had the same problem you don't have to do any of the BS that everyone is telling you maybe  all you have to do is hook the original speakers up then after the computer recognizes it then you might be able to hook up the newer speakers. With my original set there was just two speakers ,but it has two connection one being a usb plug the other is RC you have to leave the usb plugged in an unplug the rc then plug in the newer speakers then you can unplug the usb plug not before. but get the newer speakers ready to plug in so all you have to do is just plug the rc plug in and you should be ready to go.  p.s. never get rid of the original speakers cause you might have to do this later oh yeah if you got a gateway you also have to have the remote control / IR hook up you"ll only get so far in the set up. good luck!!
    Sunday, April 01, 2007 10:33 PM
  • I had similar problems with sound even after installing the new Realtek drivers.

After lots of reading and not finding a solution, I went poking around Control Panel and noticed something on the "Playback" tab of the "Sound" applet.  I have two devices: Speakers and Realtek Digital Output.  The Realtek Digital Output device was marked as Default (the green check mark).  I right-clicked on Speakers and selected "Set as Default Device".  Voila...sound works like a charm.

Hope this helps someone.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 12:55 AM
  • Thank you!!! I turned on my compter after a week with a sound device & it was gone.... seems I'm not the only one. I just want to thank you, as I chose your posting to try to download another sound device and it worked perfect. I haven't had any problems since and this time backed it up on disc. Thank you again. Anyone else with this problem see BrandonSmith link on page 1. It links you to Microsoft first but is easy to follow exactly to Realtek downloads for Vista.
    Monday, April 23, 2007 2:08 AM
  • I am having pretty much the same problem.

IVe done everything I can think of doing.

When I goto my sound in Vista, it shows my Digital Output Device is working, and when playing sounds it shows over to the right on the sound bar that the computer recognizes there is sound playing, it just wont come out of my speakers or headset. 

Also its onboard sound. When I goto device managers it shows
    High Definition Audio Device
    Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device.

Neither have the yellow caution sign next to it. I have reinstalled and updated all drivers. I just cant figure this thing out. =/  
    Monday, April 23, 2007 6:20 PM
  • Hi Crashtestjonny,

I'm potentially facing the same problem with my ALC655.  Did you resolve the problem, or was it necessary to replace your sound card?

Gwen

Friday, April 27, 2007 8:44 PM
  • Hi,

I have a similar problem. My HD sound driver is installed, however, on the taskbar it says that no audio output device is installed. What to do?

Thanks
    Monday, April 30, 2007 9:12 PM
  • can i get it online
    Wednesday, May 02, 2007 4:08 AM
  • I am having the same issue.

Just got my new PC with Vista pre-installed - everything seemed ok but I can't get any sound out!!

I have tried re-installing the Realtek High Definition Audio drivers a few times, but to no avail!

My playback tab only lists the "Digital Output Device (SPDIF)"...

What could possibly be going wrong?

Please help...

Thanks.
    Saturday, May 05, 2007 10:39 AM
  • EXACTLY the same problem I am having as well. Sound has working weeks, and now suddenly its all off? Its the same realtek problem as everyone else and Vista... bloody thing!
    Saturday, May 05, 2007 12:22 PM
  • Ok guys, I have a dumb question perhaps...

My old computer (running Win XP Pro) had Realtek AC 97 driver.

The new computer (running Vista) has a High Definition Audio Driver.

Can I expect my old speakers to continue working with these new drivers, or do I need "high definition" speakers to go with it?
    Sunday, May 06, 2007 12:15 AM
  • I gave up and just bought a USB Sound Box from Maplins (£14.99). It is an external USB sound card...absolutely no frills, but it does have digital output, as well as stereo output. Does the job and I am happy. Means you cant have a 5.1 or 7.1 set up but if you pay more you can! Ebay has them for about £4 but I wanted the job doing. I hate things not working. Hopefully this may help someone.

Windows Vista Premium

Realtek driver issue.

Sunday, May 06, 2007 11:46 AM
  • I have the same problem.

Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 with on board RealekALC883.

Won't work with drivers from Gigabyte. Nor with the latest R166 drivers.

When sound is played the graphic on the sound control shows there is output, but nothing on the speakers.

If I boot with the same setup into XP64 it works perfectly.

Saturday, May 12, 2007 12:00 PM
  • I managed to get around this issue with a driver update:

AudioAD1986A610x6100_Vista

In my case I contacted the computer store I bought my PC from, and they gave me the new driver - now it works like a charm.

You may try:
    http://www.drivershq.com/Drivers/Devices/ASUS-SoundMAX-AD1986A-High-Definition-Audio/3849/2/Drivers.aspx
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 1:01 PM
  • d
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 6:25 PM
  • I also just upgraded to VISTA ULTIMATE and all you know it isnt cheap.. My motherboard is 5 months old. I have no rear surround sound. I have downloaded new drivers for my sound card. Still dosnt work. I watch my movies through my computer and havnt had the enjoyment of surround. I have set up speakers and tested through the sound card configuration and I can hear sound comming out of rear. But only through set up. No music, games, Nothing. Ive gone into windows and manually checked to see if 5.1 is active. Then I just read that thousands of people are screwed. Vista has changed the sound programming. I have found hundreds of forums about this. Creative explains it on their site. They are starting to find ways around for certain games. For some of their hardware. Why is Microsoft not addressing this issue? Ive looked every where for some idea of what may come of this. Is this another system that we will have to replace lots of software and hardware? Im sure alot of you have the same frustration. I do enjoy Vista and interacting with the operating system. Beautiful interface and is smooth running otherwise. A news channel in San Fran is going to address this issue. Hopefully some better answers. Thank You JH

Asus

2 gig

soundmax

logitech 5.1

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 6:49 AM
  • you need to get new drivers for your sound card compatible with vista to get sound
    Tuesday, May 15, 2007 5:38 PM
  • After one year of poking around I got surround sound working on VISTA on SoundMax AD1986A chipset.

Use the AD1988_Vista_61016110 driver from ASUS guys and enjoy........

http://maxsumesh.spaces.live.com/?_c11_BlogPart_BlogPart=blogview&_c=BlogPart&partqs=amonth%3d5%26ayear%3d2007

Saturday, May 26, 2007 5:35 PM
  • Not sure if I have same problem - its a Dell Tower system only 6 weeks old loaded ith Vista Home premium. In the tooltray the speaker icon is shown as disabled - in device manager it shows the sound drivers as working correctly. Have tried downloading drivers direct from Dell but when reboots problem still the same. Help!
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 9:56 AM
  • Hi All,

Just wanted to share a workaround I discovered today to make the audio work on a Dimension 8400 that was just upgraded to vista.

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Right Click Computer and select "Manage"
    2. Left Click Device Manager and on the right panel locate "Sound, video, and game controllers"
    3. Right click your sound device and select disable.
    4. Reboot
    5. Download "ADI 198x Integrated Audio, Driver, v.5.12.01.7010, A25"
    Monday, May 28, 2007 3:15 PM
  • I have the same problem no sound with vista and like a typical woman I am really stuck with this one as of yet I dont have internet as this is due next week so at the mo I cant download anything new to the comp anyway last week i bought the phillips lx2000 and tv pkg ... and I installed vista fine but no sound ..... nothing is muted and all the app in the sound part of control panel are saying they are running fine??? is there anything I can do to get it working before my internet is sorted? Please can you help!!!!
    Wednesday, July 04, 2007 6:03 PM
  • OK i will try and make this very simple.

1. what you need to do is to find out with sound card you have in your computer

2. then you will have to Google "(your sound card make and model) vista drivers"

3. search around for some vista compatible drivers for you sound card

4. if you find some vista compatible sound card drivers  download them and transfer them to your PC somehow(with a  removable hard drive .etc) then put them on your PC and install them

5. reset then it should work

Thursday, July 05, 2007 8:57 PM
  • So I just upgraded from XP to Vista and was having issues with my sigmatel audio high def audio device, vista just simply wasn't reading it. I read all these posts about downloading vista compatible drivers, etc.

I finally got my soundcard working by combining a variety of all the suggestions I was reading. It went from the 'no audio output device installed' error, to working perfectly within seconds of doing this:

1. Control Panel>Remove Programs>sigmatel audio

2. Computer Properties>device manager>sound>driver properties>uninstall driver AND delete software information (don't remember exact wording, but I'm pretty sure this is why it worked).

3. Right click and scan for hardware changes.

4. Next thing I knew it found knew hardware, automatically updated, and now is working fine...

W00T!

Saturday, July 21, 2007 1:20 AM
  • thanks alot for helping to get my sound back i really happy oh my god!!! thanks a bunch
    Monday, July 30, 2007 8:16 AM
  • did u ever fix your prob?my sound worked for about 3 wks,then i wouldnt.then it worked like 2 wks later.now it dont work again.i thought it was the speakers,but now ive tried 4 diff ones and they all work on other devices.
    Tuesday, August 14, 2007 2:26 PM
  •  

i bught thid computer lx2000 and i have problem with sound    if u found any solution please contact me on ma email nelly_hot_in_here@hotmail.com    thnx 4 ur help xxxx
    Wednesday, August 15, 2007 2:52 AM
  • did you ever fix yo prob?i have the exact same prob,and if u fixed it plz tell me how. my e-mail is: D3V1ANT_1@hotmail.com. please help me out.im learning how to mix music w/ a computer(reason,acid,and soundforge) and i cant do my homework if i cant get sound out.
               HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Monday, August 20, 2007 11:38 PM
  •  D3V1ANT_1 wrote:
    did you ever fix yo prob?i have the exact same prob,and if u fixed it plz tell me how. my e-mail is: D3V1ANT_1@hotmail.com. please help me out.im learning how to mix music w/ a computer(reason,acid,and soundforge) and i cant do my homework if i cant get sound out.
               HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey i really need some help, do u know how to fix the problem of no sound vista.................

i bought my laptop like 6 months ago, it was working fine till saturday that suddenly there was no sound on speakers and headphones...................................

I went to my devices, and everything is working properly................. i upgraded my driver, installed it manually ,the one before and nothing!!! is not working..................

I woud really appreciate if someone can help me...

Thanxs........

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 1:36 AM
  • Hope you solved your problem with sound in Vista.  I found that McAfee was blocking my sound with its firewall.  I did a restore to default firewall settings, and everything worked well.

Friday, September 28, 2007 9:13 PM
  • Friday, October 05, 2007 10:10 PM
  •  

hey just go on to device manager then the click on sound games ect.... then the device below it right click and clikc update. i hope this has help you.

no problem =p

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 2:24 PM
  • Thanks very much. This is the one that worked for me in combination, maybe, with reinstalling the RealTek drivers from one of the above posts from BrandonSmith.
    Wednesday, December 12, 2007 5:36 AM
  • Well Becky, I followed your link, seeing as you seemed to speak with a kind of authority.

Where did I land up? Right back with you...

Happy New Year

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 8:36 PM
  • And it is.. a happy one a visit to the Realtek site gave me a different file ton use as a driver and all ok. I suggest "recommended"  files not be trusted. Identify your sound chip and hotfoot to the chip manufacturers site for a download.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 11:43 PM
  • Hello, I had this problem with my new Acer with Vista pre-loaded.  Came to find out the computer must be up and running

and then you plug in the speakers.  That's right, plug in the speakers after your O.S. is in gear.   This applied to both my speakers with audio jack and the ones with USB connection.  Then and only then did the audio manager "detect" my speakers.  Everything went fine from there on.

So simple (stupid?) a solution, I can't believe it.

Sunday, January 27, 2008 12:21 AM
  •  

Answer to:  No sound with Windows Vista

Hello, I had this problem with my new Acer with Vista pre-loaded.  Came to find out the computer must be up and running

and then you plug in the speakers.  That's right, plug in the speakers after your O.S. is in gear.   This applied to both my speakers with audio jack and the ones with USB connection.  Then and only then did the audio manager "detect" my speakers.  Everything went fine from there on.

Good Luck.

Sunday, January 27, 2008 1:48 AM
  • Brandon's method wrks!

Thanx man!

Sunday, February 03, 2008 4:35 AM
  • Alas, it doesn't work for me.

I have a Dell Dimension 8300 with an Audigy 2 Sound Blaster card. ALl worked beautifully with Windows XP, but not a sound since upgrading to Vista yesterday.

It looks like Vista just doesn't see the sound card at all. This meant that installing drivers (I've tried both Dell and Creative Labs own website) doesn't work, as the computer doesn't recognize a sound card is present. So, the Install Wizard tells me that I don't have a sound card, and gives me the option to close. Very helpful.

When I go to Sound on Control Panel, I get "No audio devices installed".

All feels a bit catch 22.

Any and all ideas appreciated.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 12:06 PM
  • i am having the same problem (no audio), but i get sound normally, except when i try to play a video downloaded from my digital camera. i have confirmed that the camera has audio capabilities....

i have tried installing the new realtek driver, still no sound in windows media player or windows movie maker.

i have an HP Pavilion Entertainment PC with windows vista pre-installed.

PLEASE HELP! i am going to lose it!

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 6:49 AM
  •  

Ok. I hear people are having problems with sound on Vista,
    To be honest, I had the same problem.
    It was driving me up the wall !
    i couldnt do anything, Couldn't even play Call Of Duty 4 online.
    so i took my chances and went into:
    control panel>add or remove programs, and i deleted this program called Realtek something, after that, SOUND WORKING!
    try it guys..
    Please E-mail me globe3782@hotmail.com if it worked!

Goodluck!

GeForce

Monday, March 24, 2008 2:58 AM
  •  

no sound with windows visita please solve thes problem.
    Monday, March 24, 2008 9:02 PM
  •  

I bought a new computer with windows vista in october of 2007. since then i have returned it for the same problem- the sound miraculously dies a few weeks after i set it up, as well as issues with my wireless card.

i have tried downloading and installing new drivers (realtek), plugging and unplugging my speakers, disabling and re-enebaling the devices, all to no avail. This computer has lasted a whole two months, and i would really rather not return it again. any help?

Friday, April 11, 2008 1:15 AM
  • Ok.

I had the same problem with no sound on windows vista.

all i did was went into control panel and REMOVED the realtek driver,

exited control panel and i had sound.

thats how i did it, and few hours later the driver was back but i still had sweet sound.

GeForce15.

Friday, April 11, 2008 4:11 AM
  • I just reinstalled vista and ran into the same problem, However here is an EASY FIX that takes 10 seconds!

Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Manage Audio Devices

Now you can control the Sound

On the playback tab there are two devices.

1)Speakers

2)Realtek Digital Output (default)

Just switch the default to "speakers" and you have sound!!! ;-)

Thursday, May 01, 2008 6:13 PM
  • This might have to do with the audio channels you are using.
    On my machine (HP slimline 7720) I noticed, that normal stereo sound was only sent to the rear speakers! If you have only two speakers, you may be able to hear the sound by connecting the speakers to another connector of your computer.
    An indication that this is happening, is the fact, that you can see an indication of the sound level in the volume control, even though you don't hear anything.
    Sunday, May 04, 2008 12:38 AM
  • Well,this is how if fixed my no sound issue.I went to uninstall programs,and uninstalled the conexant hd audio drver 221 and realtek.rebooted and vista automatically re-installed the conexant driver and......bang!
    sound working fine! hope this helps someone!

ps i just bought this laptop w/vista premium and love it! beats xp to hell!!
    Wednesday, May 07, 2008 6:40 AM
  • In December 2007, I purchased a Gateway Computer (Windows Vista based) from Costco with Realtek speakers and a preinstalled Realtek Driver. Until now, no sound. This is what worked for me...

Suggestion from ImSoToast on Page 1 of this forum. After doing this, when I right click on the speaker (at the bottom right of my screen), under Playback Devices, Realtek High Definition Audio displays with a green check mark and working. Thanks ImSo Toast!

On another forum, I discovered that after you resume a Windows Vista based computer from sleep or hibernation, a high definition audio driver may no longer work. Here's the link to the fix on Microsoft help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929685

However, this means that your original audio driver needs to be reinstalled. The easiest way for me to do this was to  Install a driver using Gateway Recovery Center. Here's the link to Gateway Support Windows Vista.

http://support.gateway.com/s/Checklists/BPC/ck2007030742.shtml

So after many hours of reading forums and trying several approaches, I now have sound and can watch (and hear) American Idol videos!

Thanks to all of you for your help and ideas...only Becky (the forum moderator) was unhelpful in directing us to a different forum.

Saturday, May 10, 2008 3:00 PM
  • I had trouble too for those that couldnt get the downloads to work. It took me 4 hours to work my problem out, and hopefully itll be the same problem for those of you who dont know where else to turn. My computer is an Optima and has 6 ports for my speakers. My computer wasnt telling me i had problems with my speakers, it said it was all working fine. Hmmmmmm.

The whole vista setup in control panel is so confusing! I found that Vista was real fussy with the way i had my ports setup for my speakers in the back of my comp tower. Where-as XP didnt care where i had them set. Also play some music through media player if you can while your working on it so you'll hear it when you finally get it working. Thats what i used. Also, with any changes you make to anything in Manage Sound, you'll need to reset the song each time. You wont know if you fixed anything until you do.

That was my first problem, working out where they 'had' to go. Next problem was configuring my speakers through control panel. I went "control panel/hardware and sound/manage audio devices then click on Speaker. It has a sound indicator beside it and mine was telling me there was sound there while i had the music going, it was just that my speakers wernt playing it.

At the bottom, left corner of that little screen you will see 'configure'. In configure you can play with and test your speakers there. Thats where i learnt where my speaker ports had to go. 4 hours of pain getting it working so if all those downloads fail this is worth a shot. I had to set my speakers to 5.1 surround sound. Then you click next and so on then click finish. See how that goes guys. Nothing worse than having to be told 'check you have plugged it in correctly'. GRRR  

Also, check your speaker system, mine is a 5.1 which for those of you who dont know what that is i figured its how many speakers i have. Front left, front right, centre, rear left, rear right and sub. the .1 must be the sub pfft. If you use headphones put it on stereo (remember to click 'configure' again) otherwise you'll lose some sounds, it wont play them all. Be sure to change the setting in Sound Management if you use one or the other.

Good luck guys, sorry for the long post.

Friday, May 23, 2008 1:11 PM
  • Great stuff, this worked although I have no idea how or what it does.........Many thanks

Sunday, June 08, 2008 12:09 PM
  • Ok.

I downloaded Windows vista about 4 months ago.

clean install and everything, still no sound.

i took anm educated guess and went into:

Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs.

all i saw that had anything to do with sound is my driver, so i took my chances

and uninstalled it.

i opened up some music and there you go i had sound!

i restarted my PC and the driver was back in the control panel and yes,

i still had sound.

weeks after vista, i eventually realised how *** it is, seriously.

GO BACK TO XP PLEASE !!

vista is too much of a hand full.

so if your reading about this and wondering if you should get vista,

highly recommended not to install it,

xp kicks *** and always will !!!

GeForce.

Sunday, June 08, 2008 12:18 PM
  •  

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 10:39 PM
  •  ImSoToast wrote:
    Hey check this out. I figured it out! Took me long enough but I did it. And this worked for several of my other friends who I walked through it (15 of them or so). Here it is.

What I noticed is that for some ODD reason when installed Windows Vista Installs an HD Digital Audio Device on your computer. In which some people, such as I, don't even have a jack for it on their computer.

Hopefully this is this case for you as it was for all my other friends.  So this is what to do......

-Now hopefully you'll see your "Speakers" and you'll see another one that says "Digital Output Device (SPDIF)"
    • Disable that device

Dude your the man it worked like a charm bro. 

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 10:51 AM
  •  ImSoToast wrote:
    Hey check this out. I figured it out! Took me long enough but I did it. And this worked for several of my other friends who I walked through it (15 of them or so). Here it is.

• Disable that device

ImSoToast you are the man. This worked perfectly for me. Thanks bud.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 10:21 PM
  • Someone please help!!!!!

A really good friend of mine has just built me a new PC and we've installed Vista Home Preium 32-bit. When booting the system up for the first time, I wanted to try out some old MP3s that I haven't heard for a while. I double-click on Windows Media Player and it says that it is playing the song but i get no sound. The graphical bar on the volume mixer is moving up and down which indicates that it is trying to play something.

When I go on to 'Sound' under the control panel it says:

Speakers
    Not plugged in

Headphones
    Not plugged in

Digital Output Device (SPDIF)
    Working

I've got a Gigabyte Ep35C-DS3R motherboard with on-board sound and am running a jack cable from my stereo to the back of my PC which has always worked in the past with XP.

Any ideas?
    Is it a driver issue?

Someone please help!!!!

Thursday, October 02, 2008 8:40 PM
  • hi

i read that problem everyone have at this forum and i have the same one. the different that i have is that it is working on vista but when i install the sp1 (service pack 1 for vista) the sound disapered. the realtek does not work from green its grey. when i go back and take away sp1 it works again.

im going to test this and i hop it works for med to

Sunday, October 05, 2008 9:35 AM
  • now it works. sp1 change a setting so i hade to chace default. darn so many hours for such easy thing...

Sunday, October 05, 2008 11:42 AM
  • Hello-

I have an integrated Nvidia 4 series sound card on my motherboard. Unfortunately since uploading to vista I have had no sound. It tells me that there is not a compatibly driver and that nvidia has told windows that they will not be releasing one. I am so confused. I cannot be the only one with this problem. It says that there is a compatablility issue between vista and my sound card. It constantly tells me that no audio output device is installed. I have tried to dl the nvidia drivers and realtek drivers, but to no avail.

Plz Help me. I need sound
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 1:01 AM
  • Finally a helpful answer to this issue...thanks bud!!
    Sunday, November 09, 2008 10:14 AM
  • Hey Souren & everyone:

You need to read this forum thread more. Start from page 1, and flip through it. We are spoiled because XP had a better way for sound card / chip manufacturers to make drivers and submit drivers. Pre-SP1 Vista had WORKAROUND drivers, post-SP1 had the proper fixes in place, which broke the "work-around" drivers, and allowed for proper drivers to work.

No matter what the issue is, it is ALWAYS a good idea to run to the motherboard or manufacturers site and download all the drivers for your EXACT system model number / type / serial number. Install the Vista driver upgrades this way:
    after downloaded the drivers and writing down a chart of what drivers do what.

Next, reboot the machine.
    Now, on a clean boot, close out or exit out of EVERY 'extra' program running in the bottom right system tray, (like antivirus, firewalls, and any other memory resident program). then:

First - Upgrade the system BIOS, if 'driver' available
    Second - Upgrade the system chipset, if driver available
    Third - Network drivers if they are not working
    Fourth - Upgrade the system audio drivers, if available

Now you can give a good attempt at one of these options on the msdn forums.

Here is a quick summary that I have pulled from it.

People in this forum are having issues with sound on their Vista PC's.
    They all complain about one of these conditions:
    - Having No Sound after upgrade
    - Having No sound on a clean install
    - Having sound and then it goes away after upgrading to SP1
    - Having sound and then it goes away after installing Wireless

To resolve the problem, people get it to work differently depending on the real REASON why it disappeared.
    - People remove the drivers and then Vista replaced them with working drivers automatically
    - People go to the system manufacturer or sound chip manufacturer and replace the driver
    - People go to third-party driver  sites like Dr Driver and find replacement drivers

If you use the msdn forums, you should go to the bottom of the page and make certain you start looking over the issue from Page 1, because sound fails for different reasons - depending on your machine type - and each 'fix' listed works DEPENDENT on which problem your machine is running into.

Good Luck!

menlotechnical dot com

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 2:56 PM
  • Here's a quick fix you can try that worked for me. Unplug your speaker from the back of the computer then plug it back in. This will bring up the Realtek wizard. Check the box that is appropriate for your speakers (in my case it was front speaker out), then click 'ok' and this will reload your audio device and open the device manager. Be sure that the correct box is check for your speaker arrangement and click the arrow to test your speakers. If this works click 'ok' and all should be back to normal.

Friday, November 14, 2008 8:30 AM
  •  

It is not working whatever I did, starting with everything from page 1.  Vista, this horrible OS, HP, another horrible company and Realtek, the worst of all are the ones responsible for this.  The fact of the matter is that they don't know, they have not good people over there rather cheap but not bright!  The sound is not solved. 

I learned my lesson with the second HP computer and I will never buy another one!  I will also look into the device and their support before buying!  Big mistake to have China providing anything.  I will look into Toshiba and Dell and their customer support knowledge before buying.  I think HP needs to be in a garbage bin.  Vista is a totally failure!  Office 2007 another disaster!  Maybe that will make people to go back to pen and paper, to their own libraries much better then Internet could provide. 

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 5:36 PM