none
Symbols for the Vista CTP from the Audio Summit?

Question

• Hi guys,

I've just installed the Vista build (5308) from the Audio Summit (great event, BTW) and I've come across some instances of our application hanging, but I can't tell exactly where.

Are the symbols available for this build?  I have http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols in my symbol path, but that doesn't pick anything up.  Is there any way I can obtain these symbols?

Under various circumstances (not quite sure yet what they are) I get a hang with 100% CPU and the application WERFAULT.EXE kicks in.  I don't know yet whether this is audio related or not, as I can't tell what API call we are making at the time.

If anyone can shed any light on what WERFAULT is and why it kicks in, I would appreciate it.

cheers
    Paul
    Friday, March 24, 2006 12:41 PM

Answers

• Download Windows Symbol Packages

If you want the entire set of symbols for the next version of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000, then you can download a symbol package and install it on your computer.

The symbol download packages are listed by processor type (x86, Itanium, and x64) and build type (retail and checked). Almost all customers require the symbols for the retail version. If you are debugging a special version of Windows with extra debugging information, then you should download the symbols for the checked version.

Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 do not require localized symbols in order to debug localized versions of the product. Each Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 symbol download package works for debugging all localized versions.

Each x86 symbol package may require 750 megabytes (MB) or more of hard disk space, each Itanium symbol package may require 560 MB or more, and each x64 symbol package may require 640 MB or more. Because of the size of the download package and required temporary files, it is recommended that you have at least 1 GB of disk space free before downloading and installing each symbol package.

Note: If you are a MSDN subscriber and are using the Windows Vista CTP builds, you can get the Symbols package for the CTP builds from the Microsoft Connect server. If you are not a MSDN Subscriber but would like to be, subscribe here.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/symbolpkg.mspx

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 1:44 AM

All replies

• I'm currently investigating this internally and will update this thread shortly. Thanks for your patience,

Arif

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 12:52 AM
  • Download Windows Symbol Packages

If you want the entire set of symbols for the next version of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000, then you can download a symbol package and install it on your computer.

The symbol download packages are listed by processor type (x86, Itanium, and x64) and build type (retail and checked). Almost all customers require the symbols for the retail version. If you are debugging a special version of Windows with extra debugging information, then you should download the symbols for the checked version.

Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 do not require localized symbols in order to debug localized versions of the product. Each Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 symbol download package works for debugging all localized versions.

Each x86 symbol package may require 750 megabytes (MB) or more of hard disk space, each Itanium symbol package may require 560 MB or more, and each x64 symbol package may require 640 MB or more. Because of the size of the download package and required temporary files, it is recommended that you have at least 1 GB of disk space free before downloading and installing each symbol package.

Note: If you are a MSDN subscriber and are using the Windows Vista CTP builds, you can get the Symbols package for the CTP builds from the Microsoft Connect server. If you are not a MSDN Subscriber but would like to be, subscribe here.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/symbolpkg.mspx

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 1:44 AM
  •  Arif Gursel - MSFT wrote:

Note: If you are a MSDN subscriber and are using the Windows Vista CTP builds, you can get the Symbols package for the CTP builds from the Microsoft Connect server.

Thanks for your response.  The Microsoft Connect server only appears to show a number of unrelated programmes.  Do we have to be joined onto a programme before we can see anything to download?  Are there any relevant programmes to join?  The only one that appears to be potentially relevant is the Application Compatibility Toolkit.

thanks

Paul

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 10:56 AM