none
Install questions...

Question

• Hi!

I just installed the Windows SDK to build programs for windows. I won't use visual studio and it is the reason I installed the sdk alone...

It installed all the headers, libraries and visual c++ compilers that I need.

I just don't understand why it also installed a LOT of eula.10**.txt files in c:/. Some of them contains "**You have received the software as part of the Visual Studio 9.0 Beta Program. " but... why?? I mean, I didn't downloaded a beta!...

Anyway... Thanks for your help!

Alex
    Monday, November 24, 2008 5:58 PM

All replies

• Alex, I’ve just looked on a test machine and found 9 files by the same name.  If the files you see are installing to the following path C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Help 9\Microsoft Document Explorer 2008, you are seeing files that install with the Microsoft Document Explorer, the help viewer that ships with the Windows SDK and also with Visual Studio and SQL.  I believe there is one file for each of the 9 major languages (*.1033.txt represents English US). 

I don’t know why the wording referred to a “beta” but I will find out.  How interesting. 

-- Karin

|| Karin Meier ||Windows SDK PM||Samples.Community|| http://blogs.msdn.com/KarinM||
    Find Windows SDK resources and links at the
    MSDN Windows SDK Developer Center

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 1:27 AM
  •  Karin Meier - MSFT wrote:

If the files you see are installing to the following path C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Help 9\Microsoft Document Explorer 2008, you are seeing files that install with the Microsoft Document Explorer, the help viewer that ships with the Windows SDK and also with Visual Studio and SQL.

They are not there... They are directly in the root of my hard disk (in c:\10**.txt)... And all of them are in english...
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 4:19 AM
  • How weird.  Were they installed on the same date that you installed the SDK?  Are you sure they installed with the Windows SDK for Server 2008?  Did you select a custom folder to install some components of the SDK?  Do you want me email me one of the files so I can do some more investigation? 

--Karin

||Karin Meier||Windows SDK PM|| Samples.Community||http://blogs.msdn.com/KarinM||

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 5:33 AM
  • No, I installed the SDK in program files.

And yes, they came from the sdk...

I'll see if they come from the document explorer and I will try to e-mail them to you tonight.
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:21 PM
  • ok... I uninstalled it yesterday so I will try again...

I just downloaded the SDK from here : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E6E1C3DF-A74F-4207-8586-711EBE331CDC&displaylang=en

And I install it in c:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.1\ on Vista Ultimate x64 SP1.

I don't install any documentation (I like to use only msdn...)... No samples...

I just install the Windows Headers and Libraries, the Visuall C++ Compilers and the Win32 Development tools (don't know what they are... What are they?)

Anyway, I don't install any .Net tools, documentation and samples. I only need the basics to do c/c++ programs on windows without visual studio.

I'm not used to this and I figured out that to compile my source files, I need to open the CMDshell in the SDK directory(in the start menu), use the setenv command to set the targeted environment and then compile my files with something like cl /Wall myfiles.c ...

Am I right?

Anyway, I'll just install all this and see if the files are still installed with it.

It's installing.....

Here we go! The same thing again... all those files in my C:\...

They don't come from the document explorer because I didn't instaled the documentation this time...

Anyway, thanks a lot for taking the time to help me!

Alex
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:56 PM
  • Alexandre, as I mentioned in email, I had no idea that these files were being installed.  They certainly should not be getting installed to the root directory.  I can see that most, if not all, of these files are for the VC redist.  This is a part of the Visual Studio C++ compiler, which we ship in the Windows SDK and use in the Windows SDK build environment.

I'm investigating now and will get back to you about this.  I think you can delete the files, but I'm  not sure yet so please hold off.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know about this problem!

As far as using the SDK command line build environment to build your programs, you can find instructions in the SDK release notes (Start, All Programs, Microsoft Windows SDK v6.1, Release Notes) that describe how to build applications in different languages (C++, C#, VB).

--Karin

||Karin Meier||Windows SDK PM||Samples.Community||http://blogs.msdn.com/KarinM||

Monday, December 01, 2008 5:13 AM
  • Hail everyone! >:-)
    I've also just noticed this kicking around in my C drive and it immediateley struck me as a possible Malware invasion...After all, no legitimate Microsoft software (Or software from other major houses, for that matter) normally uses the root of a drive for anything - Even as temporary space - And it's gotton me rather nervous now that my machine and/or network might've been infiltrated by something rather unwelcome! :-O

Anyhow...After being up all night and being rather tired, I didn't think to log file details before jumping into safe mode and deleting them...But I can remember a few filenames:
    • VC_RED.CAB
    • VC_RED.MSI
    • VC_RED.BMP
    • eula.[nnnn].txt
    • [Unremembered name].[nnnn].dll
    Incidentally, VC_RED.BMP appeared to be a blank image, but there could've been hidden data after the bitmap - I foolishly didn't think to check with a hex editor as I've been up all night! :-\

Anyhow - I can say hand-on-heart that I did not knowingly install it myself, and I log on to Windows using a restricted user account as a matter of routine. So what I'd like to know is if it's:

1. A library that might've been distributed alongside a program that I'd have installed? (The only thing I've installed lately is Office 2K!)
    2. Part of the automatic Windows update cycle? I have automatic updates off for the most part, but my system - WinXP Pro SP2 build 2600 UK - Still performs security updates at shutdown occasionally, or
    3. Could it be a malware program masquerading as legitimate Microsoft software?
    For the record; I havn't noticed any new tasks appearing in Task Manager recently (And I watch that like a hawk!) and I havn't noticed any other untoward effects on the local machine. However...I tried on two seperate occasions to connect to another machine on my network via Remote Desktop this morning...And both attempts - Though starting fine - Suddenly slowed down and then dropped the connection completely. I don't know if this is related to the above, or a seperate issue though... :-|

Farewell for now, and many thanks in advance for any advice! :-)
    >> Death <<
    Friday, December 05, 2008 10:31 AM
  • I don't think it is a malware program... It installs with the SDK and there is no new processes, services, network connections or anything like it on my machine... Nod 32 (my anti virus) also says it is ok.

I really don't know why it is installing this... It might be a Vista x64 issue... Are you using the 64bit version of vista??
    Friday, December 05, 2008 5:40 PM
  • so... what's happening with this?
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 4:48 AM
  • After installing a freeware IRC client with VC++ 2008 redist included in the setup, I find it's installed (onto the root of my only drive):

10 EULAs
    10 install.res.xxxx.dlls
    install.exe
    install.ini
    VC_RED.msi
    VC_RED.cab
    globdata.ini
    vcredist.bmp

The setup downloaded vc++, installed it and then the program itself.  Guess it's MS's fault.  I do not like things installed onto the root of my drive.

Sunday, March 01, 2009 2:07 PM
  •  

I believe this is a known issue with some versions of the VC 9.0 Redist that’s distributed with some products, in particular, the Windows SDK and Visual Studio 2008. The VC Redist contains runtime libraries for the Visual C++ CRT, ATL and MFC. The files installed to the root of your C:\ drive are artifacts of installing the redist. I believe they are harmless, and safe to remove. This issue is fixed in newer versions of the VC Redist.

As far as I can tell, the list of files is:

File Name

Size

install.exe

install.res.1042.dll

install.res.1033.dll

install.res.1036.dll

install.res.1031.dll

install.res.1028.dll

install.res.2052.dll

install.res.3082.dll

install.res.1040.dll

install.res.1041.dll

eula.1031.txt

globdata.ini

eula.3082.txt

eula.2052.txt

install.ini

eula.1049.txt

eula.1042.txt

eula.1028.txt

eula.1041.txt

eula.1040.txt

eula.1036.txt

eula.1033.txt

vcredist.bmp

install.res.1049.dll

VC_RED.cab

VC_RED.MSI

Wednesday, March 04, 2009 4:35 PM
  • Safe to delete or just leave 'em there?
    michhes (http://blog.mediawhole.com)
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:34 AM
  • These are temp files created during install and I think they will not get removed on uninstall. So, I would say, "Safe to Delete".

Thank You, Nanda Lella. This Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:16 PM
  • This is STILL happening with a Visual C++ Express 2010 I just downloaded and installed on a fairly fresh Windows 7 x64 machine a couple of days ago.

Why is it not fixed?

I can't find any definitive statement on what to do here (other than "probably OK to delete")

Karen Meier: Why did you go quiet on this thread all of a sudden?

Why no resolution after more than a year?

Thursday, May 13, 2010 1:56 AM
  • I saw these files on my root drive as well. Not sure which program installed them.
    Wednesday, January 05, 2011 7:36 PM
  • Installing the newest version of Visual C++ Express 2010 x64 on Windows 7 Ultimate produced the VS_EXPBSLN_x64_enu files in the root of two of my non-system hard drives, but not on my third one or the system drive. Permission issues?

I'm not sure why the files need to be extracted on multiple drives or non-system drives in general anyway, but this has always seemed to be the case with Microsoft dev tools...

Sunday, February 20, 2011 11:46 PM
  • HI, Just noticed these same files (VC_RED etc.)on my C: drive. I believe they are the C++ compiler and were installed when I installed Open Office 3.2. I hope this helps.
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 3:45 AM
  • HI, Just noticed these same files (VC_RED etc.)on my C: drive. I believe they are the C++ compiler and were installed when I installed Open Office 3.2. I hope this helps.
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 3:48 AM
  • HI, Just noticed these same files (VC_RED etc.)on my C: drive. I believe they are the C++ compiler and were installed when I installed Open Office 3.2. I hope this helps.
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 3:49 AM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 3:50 AM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 3:50 AM
  • So can we delete them or not?
    Jeffery R. Barnett Jr.
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 6:28 PM
  • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950683

Per Microsoft, it is a bug. Feel free to delete the following files:

install.exe
    install.res.1028.dll
    install.res.1031.dll
    install.res.1033.dll
    install.res.1036.dll
    install.res.1040.dll
    install.res.1041.dll
    install.res.1042.dll
    install.res.2052.dll
    install.res.3082.dll
    vcredist.bmp
    globdata.ini
    install.ini
    eula.1028.txt
    eula.1031.txt
    eula.1033.txt
    eula.1036.txt
    eula.1040.txt
    eula.1041.txt
    eula.1042.txt
    eula.2052.txt
    eula.3082.txt
    vc_redist.msi
    vc_redist.cab

These temporary files are erroneously generated by the installer into the system root directory instead of the temp directory.

These files are unnecessary and can be safely deleted from the system. The functioning of the runtime library will not be affected by this.
    Its a known bug and is planned to be fixed in VS2008 SP1.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:47 PM
  • Your answer is correct and I have marked it as such. However the problem still exists to this time and I found this thread in searching for an answer.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950683 VCRedist from VC++ 2008 installs temporary files in system root directory.

James, Santa Barbara CA Windows 7 Ultimate RC1 32-bit (clean install) Processor Pentium 4, 3.40GHz, Step 10, 64-bit WEI 4.4 MB Intel D915GEV RAM 4.00 GB (2.87 usable) WEI 5.3 Primary WDC, 1TB, 7200rpm, SATA, 3.0GB/s WEI 5.9 Graphics NVIDIA GeForce8400GS, 512MB (EVGA) WEI 3.1/5.0 Audio Creative Audigy, Creative 2:1 Security Essentials, WAU on, Secunia PSI, IE8, Silverlight, Live Essentials, Office Ultimate 2007, Office Visio Pro 2007, Office Live Add-In 1.4, Zune 4.0, iTunes 9, Foxit Reader, Adobe Reader 9, Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX, Java 6 Update 17, CCleaner, Registry Crawler

Sunday, February 26, 2012 4:56 AM
  • I have also found the same files on my C: drive; they were there today, but I don't think they were there last time I had looked. I have no idea why Visual Studio might have been installed (it isn't there in Add/remove programs). I have not installed Windows SKD. All the files claim to have been created on the same date, namely 7th November 2007 (before the hard disk in question existed).

WHAT DO

Saturday, March 24, 2012 7:58 PM
  • I've just noticed these files on my E: drive. Can't say I remember seeing them before today. Dates are all 7th November 2007.

I haven't installed Windows SDK but have just started using Google+ and some files were installed to allow the use of the Hangouts feature. I think they must be leftover files from this installation.

• Edited by FrothVader Monday, August 13, 2012 11:08 PM delete an extra word
    Monday, August 13, 2012 11:07 PM