none
"Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer for one of these reasons:

Question

• Hi,

I am using Windows 7. When i try to connect to my system which is in my office through Remote Desktop connection i am getting the following error:

"Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer for one of these reasons:

1) Remote access to the server is not enabled
    2) The remote computer is turned off
    3) The remote computer is not available on the network

Make sure the remote computer is turned on and connected to the network, and that remote access is enabled"

The above two(2 and 3), i have checked. What is the 1st point? Remote access to the server is not enabled. Where is this option available in my windows 7 system.

Also what are the other possible causes of receiving such an erron while connecting?

Regards,

K.Gokulraj

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 7:34 AM

All replies

• Try answers.microsoft.com. Windows SDK does not include a remote desktop client or the network infrastructure involved.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 5:00 PM
  • 1) Remote Access to the server is not enabled

- on win7 - right click on 'computer' and select properties

- select 'remote settings'

- make sure at least one of the remote desktop 'allow connections' is enabled

If so, then try the following:

Also, under control panel, system and security, administrative tools, services, ensure that Remote Desktop Services is at least manual - you may wish to start the service, if it isn't already started.

Andrew Mather
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 1:03 PM
  • I got same message on one of my server even unable to telnet the RDC port 3389 however i was able to telnet other Ports 135 and RPC end point mapper of that machine. then i came across certificates warrnings in event viewer that the machine certificates has expired which been used by remote desktop purposes. i delete the old certificate and enroll the new one, after that i able to make RDC session. in order to make  RDC session the certificate must be avlid other wise you will get the RDC connectivity errors cited above in the post, in case if the certificate is valid then perform basic level troubleshooting like RDC service status and firewall issues as well.

Sunday, July 29, 2012 11:53 AM