none
My Windows Vista doesn't start up

Question

• I left my computer on during the weekend and when i came back to work, i restarted the machine and after then the machine doesn't able to start up. I tried to run my vista machine in safe mode, but it still doesn't start...My computer passed the mode options screen and after i selected the boot up mode, it got stuck on the next screen..it displays a black screen which displays no error message. I also tried to run startup repair tool and other troubleshooting methods and now my computer still doesn't start. Please assist. Thank you
    Thursday, July 05, 2007 6:34 PM

All replies

• yes mine has started this, however when i push Ctrl + Alt + Delete the normal screen appears, if you start task manager then manually run Explorer.exe it works fine..but im having to do this on every boot
    Friday, July 06, 2007 2:51 PM
  • i have precisely exact problem. the only difference is mine displays my documents when computer starts
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 6:46 PM
  • I have this same issue, any fixes or suggestions?
    Friday, July 20, 2007 7:19 AM
  • Exactly whats going on with mine. Dang, just paid $1200 for a new computer and, heck, decided to pay that little extra to join the Vista Ultimate club, and what happens? (Though, has nothing to do with the issues)

Im still trying to look at other blogs and websites to see if there's a solution. My problem is my documents folder keeps showing up and no explorer. Its starting to piss me off. I've been having to do it now for quite a while, sigh.
    Wednesday, August 08, 2007 1:26 AM
  • I have the exact same problem as some of you guys, log on screen comes up > type in password and only my documents show up nothing else

luckily i can still run explorer.exe and it works, but its still annoying...  it would be interesting to find out why this is actually happening

any1 finds a solution can u plz e-mail to fps_chappelle@hotmail.com

Thanks

Chappelle
    Monday, August 13, 2007 6:49 AM
  •  I have found a solution to this problem!

Start > Run , type in   'regedit'    (without the quotes of course) in the search box .

(can also get run by going Ctrl+Alt+Del>file>NewTask (run))

Go to the following in the registry editor:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.

In Winlogon, on the right side, there should be a value called "Shell".
    Double click this value.  Make sure only 'Explorer.exe' is the value of Shell, if anything else is there , simply delete it and leave 'Explorer.exe' .

The value that mine was set as was "explorer.exe c:\windows\config\lsass.exe" for some unknown reason
    but setting it as explorer.exe fixes the problem

Close out the window and restart....

In theory, any 1 else with this problem should have their problem fixed too

hope this helps any 1 that needs it Big Smile
    Urwelcome!

if u need help i mite be able 2 help u.. email fps_chappelle@hotmail.com

from Chappelle

Monday, August 27, 2007 7:08 AM
  • This just goes to show that instead of spending $1200 on a new computer it would have been better to keep a little bit back to spend on anti-virus software.

C:\Windows\Config IS NOT A VALID LOCATION for lsass.exe ... the genuine version lives in C:\Windows\System32

Any appearance in 'Config' would be flagged by most anti-virus programs as actually being Trojan.Win32.VB.bdo or something very similar.

Delete the instance of the file in 'Config' and modify the registry as indicated above.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY - GET SOME DECENT ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE.

Saturday, October 06, 2007 2:19 PM
  • i cant run my regedit. it says editing has been disabled by my administrator. i am using my admin acc and i get that message Sad
    Sunday, December 02, 2007 12:00 AM
  •  Alan1989 wrote:
    i cant run my regedit. it says editing has been disabled by my administrator. i am using my admin acc and i get that message

Classic sign of a virus/spyware infection. They will often enable certain Group Policy settings to attempt to stop you from removing them. I'd invest in some good anti-virus and anti-spyware software urgently and hopefully that will clean things up. If not, I think HijackThis will automate the process of undoing various lockdowns often initiated be spyware, including the registry block I think (though it's been a while so I may be misremembering).

If all else fails, back up your data, reformat and reinstall. But don't restore any data or applications until you have an up to date virus scanner installed and working (in case any of your backed up files are infected).

Monday, December 03, 2007 9:52 AM
  •  I have found a solution to this problem!

Start > Run , type in   'regedit'    (without the quotes of course) in the search box .

(can also get run by going Ctrl+Alt+Del>file>NewTask (run))

Go to the following in the registry editor:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.

In Winlogon, on the right side, there should be a value called "Shell".
    Double click this value.  Make sure only 'Explorer.exe' is the value of Shell, if anything else is there , simply delete it and leave 'Explorer.exe' .

The value that mine was set as was "explorer.exe c:\windows\config\lsass.exe" for some unknown reason
    but setting it as explorer.exe fixes the problem

Close out the window and restart....

In theory, any 1 else with this problem should have their problem fixed too

hope this helps any 1 that needs it Big Smile
    Urwelcome!

if u need help i mite be able 2 help u.. email fps_chappelle@hotmail.com

from Chappelle

This worked for me!!!!

Check your registry entries, i had something entered in after explorer.exe. I removed it and all my worries went away!!!

Thanks guys
    Friday, July 10, 2009 2:29 AM
  • What do you need to do if your screen is black and your computer will not detect your keyboard.  I can not do anything with my computer.  Nothing seems to work except the on button.

Tuesday, July 06, 2010 9:47 PM