none
TIP:Windows Search deskbar shortcut / hotkey (XP/Srv2003)

General discussion

• We had a piece of feedback from someone on a feedback form with no-reply option that read as follows:

Deskbar hokey is mapped to win Shift f.  On my IBM laptop (and most other laptops) i have no windows key.  As such i cannot access the deskbar by hotkey.  It would be great if this hotkey were configurable or at least mapped to a more universal (and simpler) keyset

Here's some information that we would have given the person could we have contacted them..

You can revise the hotkey but it is by way of the hex values on the hotkey reg key - so disclaimer here is that you should not muck around in your registry at all - but if you feel very strongly about this hokey, it can be changed as follows: (tested on XP SP2 with Windows Search 4.0 Preview).

• Start > Run > regedit
    • Navigate to HKCU > Software > msft > windows desktop search > DB
    • select the UseWinKey and set the value data to 0 (this takes off the default which is the WIN+SHIFT+F)
    • then select the HotKey and note the default Hex value is 146; and the default Decimal value is 326 - change the hex value to 346 (or some combination of the below)

The hex key value is made up of 2 bytes

(MODIFIER)|(CHARCODE)

Modifer is from this table:

#define HOTKEYF_SHIFT               0x01

#define HOTKEYF_CONTROL         0x02

#define HOTKEYF_ALT                   0x04

#define HOTKEYF_EXT                   0x08 // Windows key

Charcode starts at hex 0x41 = A, etc.

In the example above with using Hex value 346 you have set the key to use the following:

0x03 à HOTKEYF_SHIFT + HOTKEYF_CONTROL

0x46 à Ascii ‘F’

Giving you CTRL+SHIFT+F instead of WIN+SHIFT+F

In the example above with using Hex value 246 you shorten it even further and get yourself

CTRL+F

etc etc

Once you've made the change shut down your explorer.exe process and then restart it up (this is a quick hack way to shut down the deskbar and restart it)

Friday, April 04, 2008 10:36 PM

All replies

• Can I make the hotkey the same as what google desktop used? CTRL CTRL or even SHIFT SHIFT?. It's significantly easier than these other combintions
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 8:14 PM
  • How would I go about modifying the hotkey so that I can use Control+Space (like in OS X) to call up the search deskbar?

TIA!
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 7:04 PM
  • If you want Control + Space be the hotkey, then you need to set HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Desktop Search\DB\Hotkey to 220 (hexadecimal). 

define HOTKEYF_CONTROL 0x02 which represents CTRL
    _________________________________________________________________________________
    The hex value is therefore 220 which represents CTRL + SPACE

This was tested on WIN XP SP3, Desktop Search 4.0 installed on an IBM T60 2623D6U 
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 7:12 PM