none
Latest version of GDI+ and support information

Question

• Hi, 

Could someone please answer these queries? 

What is the latest version of GDI+?(After 5.1.3102.5581) 

I need to download and use the latest version for my product. How and where 
    can I download it from? 

If I get it as part of a Security Update, how can i know the version of GDI+ 
    in that Security Update? 

If I get it as part of an 'Update for GDI+' as in 
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/958911, how can i know the version of GDI+ 
    which came with this update? 

From my research, I found that this(http://support.microsoft.com/KB/958911
    update claims to have the latest gdi+ version at that time. But when i try to 
    download the latest GDI+ from microsoft, I am directed to a page with this KB 
    article(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=975337). And this KB article has 
    the version number of GDI+ and also came after the update 958911. How do i 
    know which one is the latest now? And how can i know its version? 

How can i get only the files which are part of GDI+ package out of an update? 

As long as the OS on which GDI+ works is supported, is this component 
    supported? 

Hope I was clear enough. 

Thanks, 
    B. Sunil
    Monday, May 24, 2010 4:59 AM

Answers

• GDI+ is part of Windows so as long as your Windows Version is supported, the GDI+ implementation in it is supported.

There are only 2 versions of GDI+. 1.0 was originally shipped with Windows XP and can be redistributed by applications to older version of Windows. GDI+ 1.1 was shipped with Windows Vista.

I am not sure why you need to get file out of Windows Update. You cannot legally redistribute GDI+ 1.1, and you can get Platform SDK Redistributable for GDI+ 1.0 from Microsoft download center. When Microsoft updates GDI+ you need to tell your Vista users to download windows update, and update your application's setup package to include the updated redistributable for users Windows XP or earlier platforms.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful.
    Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by sunilbandla Wednesday, May 26, 2010 4:04 AM
    Monday, May 24, 2010 11:05 PM
  • Yes, Windows 7 ships with both GDI+ 1.1 and 1.0.

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful.
    Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by sunilbandla Thursday, May 27, 2010 5:35 AM
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 4:18 AM
  • Windows 2k3 has GDI+ 1.0 and 2008 has 1.1. The file in the KB article is for 1.0. It's file version is the version of the file, not the version of API that you use. 

If you are using GDI+ 1.0 classes or flat file API, your code should work on any machine that has GDI+ 1.0 or higher, regardless the file version number.

Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:52 PM

All replies

• GDI+ is part of Windows so as long as your Windows Version is supported, the GDI+ implementation in it is supported.

There are only 2 versions of GDI+. 1.0 was originally shipped with Windows XP and can be redistributed by applications to older version of Windows. GDI+ 1.1 was shipped with Windows Vista.

I am not sure why you need to get file out of Windows Update. You cannot legally redistribute GDI+ 1.1, and you can get Platform SDK Redistributable for GDI+ 1.0 from Microsoft download center. When Microsoft updates GDI+ you need to tell your Vista users to download windows update, and update your application's setup package to include the updated redistributable for users Windows XP or earlier platforms.

Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, May 24, 2010 11:05 PM
  • Hi Sheng,

Thanks Sheng, your reply answered a part of my question.

Is GDI+ provided as part of Windows 2k3 and Windows 2k8 servers?

What exactly is part of the GDI+ 1.x package you are talking about? Is it related to Gdiplus.dll mentioned in the support article (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=975337)? If so, what does the file version mentioned in that article mean?

If I want to use the functionality provided by this package/dll, what should be present on my machine - dll or some other thing?

Thanks,

B. Sunil

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 5:43 AM
  • Windows 2k3 has GDI+ 1.0 and 2008 has 1.1. The file in the KB article is for 1.0. It's file version is the version of the file, not the version of API that you use. 

If you are using GDI+ 1.0 classes or flat file API, your code should work on any machine that has GDI+ 1.0 or higher, regardless the file version number.

Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:52 PM
  • Hi Sheng,

Thanks again for your reply. It was helpful.

Could you tell me the version of Gdiplus.dll file in GDI+ 1.1?

Is GDI+ supported for Windows 7?

Thanks,

B. Sunil

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 4:03 AM
  • Yes, Windows 7 ships with both GDI+ 1.1 and 1.0.

Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by sunilbandla Thursday, May 27, 2010 5:35 AM
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 4:18 AM
  • How can it have both the versions at the same time?

The download page(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=6a63ab9c-df12-4d41-933c-be590feaa05a&displaylang=en) doesn't have Windows 7 in the Supported Operating Systems list. Is it supported in Windows 7?

Could you tell me the version of Gdiplus.dll file in GDI+ 1.1?

Thursday, May 27, 2010 5:34 AM
  • They are installed side by side. The download is for redistributable GDI+, not GDI+ in general. 

Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 12:48 PM