none
WDS - registry settings for indexed locations and disable settings changes for users

Question

• Hello,

I hope somebody can help me to find registry settings to do the following things:

1. Enable indexing only for local harddrives, mails and personal home drive.

2. Do not allow the user to change the settings for elements which can be indexed.

FYI: We like to deploy WDS via script to the users and they should not be able to index e.g. team network drivers, etc.

Thanks for your help in advance.

- Katrin

Thursday, October 12, 2006 11:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Katrin,

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search\CrawlScopeManager\Windows\SystemIndex\WorkingSetRules\29]
    "URL"="file:///c:\\"
    "Include"=dword:00000001
    "Suppress"=dword:00000000
    "IncludeSubdirs"=dword:00000001
    "Default"=dword:00000000
    "Hierarchical"=dword:00000001
    "Policy"=dword:00000000

For example...

Search for "desktopsearch.adm" @microsoft.com this is a group policy template, which perhaps can solve your problems.

I hope I could help you

Friday, January 16, 2009 11:48 AM
  •  

Do not modify these keys manually. Instead, use group policies to manage search. See our admin guide for more information:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772446.aspx

Friday, January 16, 2009 5:05 PM
  • It's not possible to set local drives using the group policies for users because they haven't permission to choose local drives. And over the group policies does not exist any functions. We've got notebooks for our staff,  they have a local drive D:\Data. They have only write-permissions there. They can't choose this drive, only administrators can. I need a script to share this automatically.

Monday, January 19, 2009 9:27 AM
  •  

You can set local drives to be indexed by default for all users using the group policy "Default Indexed Paths" using the value file:///d:\data\
    Monday, January 19, 2009 4:19 PM
  • which key is the suppressing of the user from being able to make changes? i want the same thing (turn of network shares) but they can change it if they want to let them

Friday, December 17, 2010 3:56 PM