none
Crosspost from general questions: calling Security methods in advapi32.dll from InstallShield

Question

• I've posted this question on InstallShieds forums ( here ), but as of yet, have not gotten an answer from their community -- I was hoping to have better luck here.

The issue I am having is that I am trying to invoke a method from the advapi32.dll from inside InstallShield's basic MSI. I successfully called GetUsernameA(...) from this routine -- so linkage is not the issue.

Rather, I am trying to call LsaOpenPolicy(...) and am getting an exception of "mismatched type": 0x80020005. I'm a bit stymied as to how to proceed -- I've tried a few variants of prototype and invocation, all to no avail.

My latest attempt defined the prototype as: 

prototype INT Advapi32.LsaOpenPolicy(POINTER, POINTER, INT, POINTER);

The InstallShield call looks like this (including some setup -- all examples of C++ code zero's out the structure pointed to by the second parameter).

for i = 0 to 11
                array(i) = 0;
            endfor;
            array(0) = 24;

// current error is 80020005 type mismatch.
            try
                i = POLICY_CREATE_ACCOUNT | POLICY_LOOKUP_NAMES;
                pArray = array; 
                pPolicy = NULL;
    	    nvOSResult = LsaOpenPolicy(NULL, pArray, i, pPolicy);
    	catch
    	    Sprintf(errString, "0x%08x", Err.Number);
    	    _Logger(hMSI, methodName, "LsaOpenPolicy Exception "+errString, INFORMATION, FALSE);
    	    nvOSResult = Err.Number;
    	endcatch;

For completeness the Windows definition is this: (the full description)

NTSTATUS LsaOpenPolicy(
      _In_     PLSA_UNICODE_STRING SystemName,
      _In_     PLSA_OBJECT_ATTRIBUTES ObjectAttributes,
      _In_     ACCESS_MASK DesiredAccess,
      _Inout_  PLSA_HANDLE PolicyHandle
    );

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Wim

Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:59 PM

All replies

• This isn't a security issue as much as it is a sort-of scripting-call-Win32 issue.  This scripting, not C++, so my suspicion is that InstallScript can't match to the types expected for the function - they may not exist in that world.

If they support it, then it's generally much easier to create a C++ Dll call - it can hardly be worse than this and you do get to include the header files that actually define those parameters correctly.

Phil Wilson

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:54 PM