none
The way to uninstall Windows Desktop Search 3.01

Question

• Dear friends,

I propose a solution for trouble with Windows Desktop Search 3 deinstallation, have been discussed occasionally in Internet and here. I've got this trouble too! The last update to version 3.01 invoked a serious system resources leak and my work become slower twicer, my pauses to wait the reaction from my computer increased from seconds to minutes, and I understood that without reanimation my computer will work for 80% of time only for this brilliant WDS!

But it's impossible to uninstall it in my Windows XP SP2 (and to install f.e. Google Desktop instead)! I have not found any solution in Internet, in newsgroups, even from Microsoft! So "if the mountain won't come to Muhammad, Muhammad must go to the mountain!

Here is my proposal to an answer "How to uninstall Windows Desktop Search 3.0x"! Your comments and notes would be highly appreciated!

In the situation of incorrect setup utility behaviour of Windows Desktop Search 3.0x, recommendations from Microsoft like http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows/search/dtstshoot.mspx#E4KAC and advices to use advanced uninstall tools are unuseful. The cause is in some incomprehensible bug (or "feature"?!) when in some situations after the setup of WDS the uninstall information is losted (f.e. for WDS 3.01 it must be a folder "C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB917013$"). Without this uninstall information it's impossible to uninstall such a complex application (there are drivers, filters, CLSID's etc.) automatically.

To solve the problem you can create the uninstall information file yourself manually, like the setup utility!

I propose the next algorithm to uninstall WDS (and many others applications) manually:
    0. Not to forget about renew system restore point, system files backup, system restore disk before to begin!
    1. To find the setup configuration file "update.inf" in the distributive
    2. To collect in some special folder the files: spuninst.exe, updspapi.dll
    3. To convert the setup information from update.inf to uninstall information file spuninst.inf and put spuninst.inf to the same folder as in spuninst.exe
    4. To run spuninst.exe - that's all!

A little bit compex, but working method, I used it successfully when this WDS 3.01 slowed down my computer catastrophically  and Microsoft can't propose any decision to solve problem! BUT it's for your own risk!

There is a common way:
    1. Unpack the distributive (f.e. Start->Run->WindowsDesktopSearch-KB917013-V301-XP-x86-enu.exe -x) in some folder f.e. "UnpWDSSetup"
    2. Create folder to store the uninstall information, f.e. "UnpWDSSetup\spuninst"
    3. Copy to from "UnpWDSSetup" to "UnpWDSSetup\spuninst\": spuninst.exe
    4. Copy to from "UnpWDSSetup\update\" to "UnpWDSSetup\spuninst\": updspapi.dll
    5. Get as a template any "spuninst.inf" file from "%SystemRoot%\$NtUninstallxxxxx$". This file contains the common uninstall information structure for spuinist.exe utility. But the contents depends on the appliaction to uninstall! By analysing this template "spuninst.inf" and "UnpWDSSetup\update\update.inf" you can successfully build the contents of "UnpWDSSetup\spuninst\spuninst.inf" necessary to uninstall WDS. It's not so difficult, but at the end of this post I'll quote such an example of spuininst.inf to uninstall Windows Desktop Search 3.01
    6. Edit the section of "UnpWDSSetup\spuninst\spuninst.inf" and set "RebootRequired  = 1"
    7. Before the happy to uninstall your folder "UnpWDSSetup\spuninst\" must contain: spuninst.exe, spuninst.inf, updspapi.dll
    8. Run "UnpWDSSetup\spuninst\spuninst.exe" and confirm that you can exist without so beatiful Windows Desktop Search
    9. At the end restart your system!

The contents of spuinist.inf to uninstal Windows Desktop Search 3.01

[Version]
        Signature = "$Windows NT$"
        NtServicePackVersion = 0
        NtServicePackVersionText = "KB917013"
        NtServicePackVersionFullText = "Windows Desktop Search 3.01"
        NtServicePackPreviousVersion = 512
        NtServicePackPreviousVersionText = "No KB917013"
        IEVersion = "0.0.0.0"
        DisplayTitle = "KB917013"
        SP_TITLE = "Windows Desktop Search 3.01"
        RebootRequired  = 1

[SourceDisksNames]
        1="Windows Desktop Search Source Files"

[SourceDisksFiles]
        msscolmn.txt=1
        gathrprm.txt=1
        schema.txt=1
        msscntrs.dll=1
        mssitlb.dll=1
        searchprotocolhost.exe=1
        searchfilterhost.exe=1
        searchindexer.exe=1
        mssph.dll=1
        mssphtb.dll=1
        mssprxy.dll=1
        mssrch.dll=1
        msstrc.dll=1
        propdefs.dll=1
        tquery.dll=1
        msscb.dll=1
        gsrvctr.h=1
        gsrvctr.ini=1
        gthrctr.h=1
        gthrctr.ini=1
        idxcntrs.h=1
        idxcntrs.ini=1
        msshsq.dll=1
        structuredqueryschema.bin=1
        structuredqueryschematrivial.bin=1
        xmlfilter.dll=1
        rtffilt.dll=1
        srchadmin.dll=1
        propsys.dll=1
        searchindexer.exe.mui=1
        mssrch.dll.mui=1
        tquery.dll.mui=1
        mssphtb.dll.mui=1
        mssph.dll.mui=1
        srchadmin.dll.mui=1
        propsys.dll.mui=1
        dsksrch.chm=1
        deskbar.cfg=1
        deskbar.dll=1
        dbsetup.dll=1
        dbres.dll=1
        wordwheel.dll=1
        wwres.dll=1
        msnlDl.dll=1
        msnldlps.dll=1
        msnlExt.dll=1
        msnlExtRes.dll=1
        msnlNamespaceMgr.dll=1
        msnlRed.dll=1
        WdsMktTools.dll=1
        wdsShell.dll=1
        wdsView.dll=1
        WindowsSearch.exe=1
        WindowsSearchRes.dll=1
        MarketStrings.cfg=1
        mapine.dll=1
        mapineres.dll=1
        dbres.dll.mui=1
        msnlExtRes.dll.mui=1
        WindowsSearchRes.dll.mui=1
        wwres.dll.mui=1
        mapineres.dll.mui=1
        oeph.dll=1
        OEphRes.dll=1
        OEphRes.dll.mui=1
        UncPH.dll=1
        UncRes.dll=1
        UncCplExt.dll=1
        UncNE.dll=1
        UncDMS.dll=1
        UncRes.dll.mui=1

[DestinationDirs]
        System32.Files                  = 11     ; %windir%\system32 (replace if exist)
        Search.Config.Files             = 16419, "Microsoft\Search\Config" ; ...\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Config
        Search.Data.Config.Files        = 16419, "Microsoft\Search\Data\Config" ; ...\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Config
        Mui.Name.Files                  = 11, "%WDS_MARKET%" ; %windir%\system32\<en-US style locale>
        Mui.ID.Files                    = 11, "mui\%WDS_MARKET_LCID%" ; %windir%\system32\mui\<lcid>
        WindowsDesktopSearch.UI.Files   = 16422, "%WDSAppsSubDir%" ; Program Files\Windows Desktop Search
        Ext.files                       = 16422, "%WDSAppsSubDir%" ; Program Files\Windows Desktop Search
        Ext.Mui.Files                   = 16422, "%WDSAppsSubDir%\%WDS_MARKET%" ; Program Files\Windows Desktop Search\%WDS_MARKET%
        OEPH.Files                  = 11     ; %windir%\system32 (replace if exist)
        OEPH.Mui.Files              = 11, "%WDS_MARKET%" ; %windir%\system32\<en-US style locale>
        UNCPH.Files                 = 11     ; %windir%\system32 (replace if exist)
        UNCPH.Mui.Files             = 11, "%WDS_MARKET%" ; %windir%\system32\<en-US style locale>

[ProductCatalogsToInstall.delete.files]

KB917013.cat

[ProcessesToRunBeforeUninstall]
        "%SystemRoot%\System32\cmd.exe /c ""%SystemRoot%\System32\unlodctr.exe UGatherer"""
        "%SystemRoot%\System32\cmd.exe /c ""%SystemRoot%\System32\unlodctr.exe UGTHRSVC"""
        "%SystemRoot%\System32\cmd.exe /c ""%SystemRoot%\System32\unlodctr.exe wsearchidxpi"""

[Configuration]
        UninstallationType    = "Hotfix"
        UnInstallLogFileName  = "KB917013Uninst.log"
        EventLogKeyName       = "NtServicePack"
        ProductName           = ""
        CustomizationDll      = ""
        WaitTimeForServiceStop = 0
        OverwriteThirdParty    = 0
        RestartDevice          = 0
        ServiceFileInUseDetect       = "0"
      UninstallCustomizationDLL = wss_SpCustom.dll

[GlobalRegistryChanges]
     DelReg = Del.Reg

[Del.Reg]
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows Desktop Search
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows Search Service
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows Search, "CurrentVersion"
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows Search, "DataDirectory"
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows Search, "InstallDirectory"
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows Search, "DefaultColumnFile"
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows Search, "UseLowPriorityConfiguration"
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows Search, "SetupCompletedSuccessfully"
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows Search, "indexer:ci:MaxRestrictionNodes"
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows Search\Applications
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows Search\CatalogNames
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows Search\ContentIndexCommon
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows Search\CrawlScopeManager
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows Search\Databases
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows Search\DataDirectory
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows Search\Gather
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows Search\Gathering Manager
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows Search\Indexer
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows Search\InstallDirectory
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows Search\PerformanceCounters
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows Search\SearchService
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows Search\UsnNotifier
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows Search\PreviousSettings
        HKCU, Software\Microsoft\Windows Search
        HKCU, Software\Microsoft\Windows Desktop Search

[Del.Reg.PerfCounters.Uninstall]
        HKLM, System\CurrentControlSet\Services\UGatherer
        HKLM, System\CurrentControlSet\Services\UGTHRSVC
        HKLM, System\CurrentControlSet\Services\wsearchidxpi

[Product.Del.Reg.UI]
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Search-ms
        HKLM, Software\Classes\CLSID\{70804ECC-7272-4dc8-AFFC-97CD66AAA282}
        HKLM, Software\Classes\Search.MapPI

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 10:08 PM

Answers

•  

Dear Derek,

This method is universal. You can use it in any Windows application using the same install/uninstall system (most of all Windows system components use it!). Of course, any WDS is in this list. BUT, when your version of WDS differs from 3.01, you must build your own spuinist.inf using steps described and strictly not use my example or "Dexter M" originals! I'm sure that any other version of WDS has specific sections and parameters in spuinist.inf! That's why uninstall with the spuinist.inf  from WDS 3.01 may cause problems...

Best regards,

Andrew

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 6:49 PM
  • Hi, bmlawr,

> Unpack the distributive (f.e. Start->Run->WindowsDesktopSearch-KB917013-V301-XP-x86-enu.exe -x) in some folder f.e. "UnpWDSSetup"

> This was not found on my system.

Please download it from download.microsoft.com: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=738fc2de-49b9-4e69-9227-2206277ab7c9&DisplayLang=en

> Get as a template any "spuninst.inf" file "%SystemRoot%\$NtUninstallxxxxx$".

> This was not found on my system
    It's possible when you have not applied Windows updates or you have deleted the uninstall information or... you forgot to switch on "Show hidden files" option in Windows Explorer. But it's much simplier to use my template or the original Microsoft's uninstaller uploaded by dexter here! Smile

> My Question is?

> Can I follow the instructions listed below to manually remove the Windows Desktop  Search 3.0.1
    My template and the uninstaller uploaded by dexter are for Windows Desktop Search 3.01. That's why you can use it! Smile For the other verstion of WDS you need to analyse *.inf files manually as described. But I have not been heard about uninstall problems with the other versions!

Sunday, April 06, 2008 8:46 AM

All replies

• Worked perfectly. Thanks for assisting me in removing this, I've been kicking myself for installing it in the first place!
    Saturday, April 14, 2007 2:29 PM
  • Very nice job!!!

Work perfectly Big Smile

Thanks

Sunday, April 15, 2007 9:57 AM
  • Thanks!  Thought I was stuck.  I was able to use the sample text for spuinist.inf exactly as you provided.
    Monday, April 16, 2007 2:21 PM
  • You Rock Man!!

Thank you so much!!

You've open the path for me to dismiss some other stuff from microsoft.
    Monday, April 30, 2007 12:49 PM
  • Thank you a very good method and it works well.

One word of caution: make sure you name the spuninst.inf correctly. If you make a spelling mistake like I did, and then fail to pay attention to the uninstallation window,you will uninstall the first spuninst.inf package that lies within the windows search path. This will almost certainly lead to undesired results.
    Of course, this will only happen if you are as silly as I am, but at least I wasn't so silly that I didn't make a ghost image before trying this, so no harm is done.

Again, thanks for good work Andrew Kotsar!
    Monday, May 07, 2007 2:09 PM
  • Hi, John!

Thank you and other guys for good words for me! It was not a kind of difficult task to solve - everybody will solve it in case of urgent need! Your remark is useful. Before to post "The way to uninstall..." I've tried to check your variant (as well as the many others) when spuninst.inf could not be found by spuninst.exe, but with no problems - spuninst.exe refused to work. Usually there is no others spuninst.inf files in PATH, because they have to be in special subfolders with service pack uninstall information. I think your history is unique for your system with losted spuninst.inf somewhere in system or large %PATH%, but the other "colleagues" have to keep in mind your advice! Thank you, John!

And, in addition, I could note that after uninstallation of WDS, "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Desktop Search" folder must be deleted manually!

Regards,

Andrew

Monday, May 07, 2007 7:53 PM
  • Thanks a lot, it worked !

Thursday, May 10, 2007 9:17 AM
  • please the way  to installl,not  uninstall
    Monday, May 21, 2007 7:08 PM
  • The way to install?! To download a distributive from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/desktopsearch/ and to run the setup program! Smile

Thursday, May 24, 2007 10:45 PM
  • Andrew,

Thanks from one more person who was able to make use of your steps.  I found some other threads full of insults by guys unwilling to read and understand the fact that WDS did not appear in the Add/Remove Programs list, and there was no straightforward way to uninstall.  Your thread was the only one I found that actually offered some practical advice, and like the others who replied, I'm glad to say it worked for me, too!  Thanks for taking the time to document and share your steps.

Matt Smith

Monday, June 04, 2007 3:29 PM
  • Hi Andrew

I found the "C:\$NtUninstallKB917013$" folder in my XP Home SP2 machine.

Inside there is a "spuninst" folder containing the necesary files for uninstalling WDE 3.01 (spuninst.exe, updspapi.dll and spuninst.inf)
      I run spuninst.exe and it worked !!!

Regards,

Claudio

Thursday, June 07, 2007 4:06 AM
  • Hi, Matt,

Thank you for your very warm words! Happy to help you and other people!

Andrew

Friday, June 08, 2007 9:31 AM
  • Hi, Claudioh,

I can say only that your situation is not usual! Because in the majority of situations we can't find this folder!!!

Please, publish here as a "code sample" the content of the original spuninst.inf to all of us - it's interesting to compare!

Regards,

Andrew.

Friday, June 08, 2007 9:34 AM
  • It's not unusual, I've always uninstalled it that way! Like any other hotfix, $NtUninstallKB917013$ is a hidden folder located in %WINDIR%.
    Friday, June 08, 2007 11:58 AM
  • Here are my spuninst.inf and spuninst.txt: http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/4/13/979602/spuninst.inf http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/4/13/979602/spuninst.txt Btw, sorry to see that you went to so much trouble for such a simple solution! Anyways, I'm sure that info won't go to waste - we could use the method for uninstalling a faulty hotfix Smile
    Friday, June 08, 2007 12:19 PM
  • Mr. Dexter M,

> It's not unusual, I've always uninstalled it that way!

I congratulate you heartily! Your Big Brains are powerfull - there is no problem, because YOU've always been uninstalling it in that way! I dicturbed the community by the idle talk! Sorry!

> Like any other hotfix, $NtUninstallKB917013$ is a hidden folder located in %WINDIR%

Really?!!! Thank you very much! Now I understood, where to search the hotfix folders! Oh, they are really hidden? Thank you!

> sorry to see that you went to so much trouble for such a simple solution

Undoubtedly, we are so stupid with so unusual troubles without YOUR solution, but not you! Thank you very much for your big lesson and unimited knowledge!

Saturday, June 09, 2007 4:50 AM
  • Sorry, I missed this part in your post:

> in some situations after the setup of WDS the uninstall information is losted (f.e. for WDS 3.01 it must be a folder "C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB917013$").

In that case, all one needs to do is get a copy of that folder. That's the best and easiest method for uninstalling WDS.

You can download the uninstall folder from here:

$NtUninstallKB917013$.zip     (375 KB)

Just extract it someplace and launch \spuninst\spuninst.exe

To make it more simpler, I also made an SFX archive that'll automatically launch the uninstaller:

WDS_3.01_Uninstall.exe     (403 KB)

Saturday, June 09, 2007 10:06 AM
  • I cannot tell which version of WDS is on my machine.  I've 'disabled' it but I'd love to uninstall it.

When I went to the Microsoft.com page on uninstalling, http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows/search/dtstshoot.mspx it listed four different packages like:

%systemroot%\$NtUninstallKB907371-V2$\spuninst

%systemroot%\$NtUninstallKB907371$\spuninst

2.6.5.5373 (Beta)

%systemroot%\$NtUninstallKB911993$\spuninst

%systemroot%\$NtUninstallKB911993-V2$\spuninst

%systemroot%\$NtUninstallKB917979$\spuninst

none of which are on my machine.  So how do I find the right spuninst.exe to use?  I have tons of them in my root directory from all the updates WinXP runs.

HELP!!!!  How do I know which version is running on my machine?
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:13 PM
  • Check the version of this file c:\program files\windows desktop search\windowssearch.exe
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 3:35 AM
  • Dear Dexter:

Thank you so much for the SFX archive to launch the uninstaller.  I have been trying to rid my pc of the Indexer for months. You made it so easy. No more error messages upon start up and my computer speed has greatly improved. Again Thank you!!!

Friday, June 15, 2007 11:58 AM
  • hey thanks there, finally got rid of that ***..
    the only remaining trace of it was the 'Windows Search Deskbar' choice from the toolbars, got rid of it by deleting all the corresponding keys in the registry...
    Friday, July 20, 2007 7:04 AM
  • I have Windows XP SP2 and WDS3.01 the uninstall process once you figure it out is very simple and no need to manually delete registry files or directories afterwards.

1. Make sure you are able to view hidden  files and folders, if you are not sure that you are go to my computer click on Tools > Folder Options > View. Under Hidden Files and folders make sure the Hidden files and Folder radio button is selected.

2. Go to %windir%\$NTUninstallKB917013$\Spuninst

3. Double click on Spuninst.exe

4. Reboot when prompted, everything is removed

Friday, July 20, 2007 12:24 PM
  • Dear Clark,

You are not the first "IT-guru" in this thread trying to teach us how to solve problem only by mouse clicks. Please, read carefully the post: "... in some situations after the setup of WDS the uninstall information is losted (f.e. for WDS 3.01 it must be a folder "C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB917013$")" - please, show us any difference between the name of your folder and the name of folder in the post? And teach us how to run spuninst.exe from non-existent folder!

Again!!! This thread is only for the situation when you can't uninstall WDS by the standard way in Windows!

Friday, July 20, 2007 2:47 PM
  • Dear Andrew,

I am wondering if your solution will work for me as well. The version number of WindowsSearch.exe is 6.0.6000.16431. I don't have a listing of Windows Desktop Search in add/remove programms, and I don't see an uninstall directory in my windows folder...

can I follow the same steps you mention, or are they only for version 3?

Thanks and regards,

Derek

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 1:25 PM
  •  

Dear Derek,

This method is universal. You can use it in any Windows application using the same install/uninstall system (most of all Windows system components use it!). Of course, any WDS is in this list. BUT, when your version of WDS differs from 3.01, you must build your own spuinist.inf using steps described and strictly not use my example or "Dexter M" originals! I'm sure that any other version of WDS has specific sections and parameters in spuinist.inf! That's why uninstall with the spuinist.inf  from WDS 3.01 may cause problems...

Best regards,

Andrew

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 6:49 PM
  • Very great fast solution. Thank you.

Saturday, September 08, 2007 9:54 AM
  • Thank you Dexter,

Your SFX is working great and removed that indexer from my PC like a charm.

Thx again!
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007 4:31 AM
  • ok based on what others hae written about your way to uninstall this retarded product, i am more than convinced it works....however i must admit i am not as svvy as others are so is it possible that you could reword your steps in a little less technical manner so that dummies like me can understand the procedure? really would appreciate it.....this program is driving me up the wall.....

Monday, October 08, 2007 7:22 AM
  •  

Just download and run WDS_3.01_Uninstall.exe
    Wednesday, October 10, 2007 5:11 PM
  •  Dexter M wrote:

Just download and run WDS_3.01_Uninstall.exe

Dexter, this link worked perfectly...many thanks!

Thursday, October 25, 2007 6:11 PM
  • Excellent post Claudio.

I managed to make a start-up script for our domain using your post and it has removed it everywhere. Thanks

Just call this removewds.bat or similar

Code Block

C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB917013$\spuninst\spuninst.exe /quiet /norestart

Friday, October 26, 2007 7:20 AM
  •  Tom Jones wrote:
    Excellent post Claudio.

I managed to make a start-up script for our domain using your post and it has removed it everywhere. Thanks

Just call this removewds.bat or similar

Code Block

C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB917013$\spuninst\spuninst.exe /quiet /norestart

Fantastic!!!!  I've been pulling my hair out trying to uninstall this from our domain.  It was installed automatically by WSUS and I've been wanting to get rid of it.  Thanks a million!!!!!!!
    Monday, October 29, 2007 3:23 PM
  • Your solution, along with a run of CCleaner, did the trick.  No more WDS!

Stupid product, with an even stupider uninstaller.
    Friday, November 09, 2007 6:16 AM
  • Thanks for those, Dexter!

In my Domain, I run a Hotfix cleaner script, which removes all $HotfixKBxxx$ files and Add/Remove entries for these, so I needed this, without having to download, and reinstall KB917013.

I extracted it, placed it in a shared location (T:\), and added this to my login scripts.

Code Block

:: ----------------------------------------------
    :: Copy uninstall routine to PC's to remove Windows Search 3.0.***
    IF NOT EXIST c:\uninstwds XCOPY /E /I "T:\Workstation Software\uninstwds" c:\uninstwds
    C:\uninstwds\spuninst\spuninst.exe /quiet /norestart

I'll remove the entry in a few days, but it doesn't seem to be harming anything. The event logs just keep noting that it's been removed.

Thanks everyone!
    Monday, November 26, 2007 4:17 PM
  • Thanks a bunch Andrew, although this is months after.
    WDS uninstall info did not exist on my PC; I had got in the habit of removing all uninstall files; I might change that habit now. Although I did install it again and it still did not appear anywhere, AddRemove, Windows etc..
    I used your file to remove WDS and it worked perfectly; I haven't got the brain to compare the spuninst.inf with the update.inf!
    Thanks again
    John
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 12:04 PM
  • For those who use Active Directory in their enterprise and prefer to use startup scripts applied through group policy, here is one written in Visual Basic Script that I have used successfully to remove WDS 3.01 from several hundred machines.

Code Block for "RemoveWDS.vbs"

Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    Set oFSO = CreateObject("scripting.FileSystemObject")

sFile = "C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB917013$\spuninst\spuninst.exe"

If oFSO.FileExists(sFile) Then
      oShell.Run "C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB917013$\spuninst\spuninst.exe /q /norestart", 1, True
    End If

Friday, December 07, 2007 11:56 PM
  •  

First of all I'd like to give a HUGE thanks to Andrew Kotsar for the very simple method of uninstalling this really horrible product. Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you...........!!!!!!!

I'd also like to give another thank-you to Claudioh for pointing me in the right direction for the spuninst.inf file in the $NtUninstallKB917013$folder.

Thanks again,
    Anthony.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 3:36 PM
  • Dear colleagues,
    don't forget to use system variables in scripts (like panamaus's)! Windows folder is not equal to "C:\WINDOWS\", but strictly "%SystemRoot%"! Especially on systems upgraded from f.e. Windows NT!

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 11:32 PM
  • Hello Kotsar Andrew, 

I have the Windows Desktop Search 3.0.1 that will no longer index, will not start nor restart.

Have tried gooing through what you have here to uninstall WDS.

Dear friends,

I propose a solution of trouble with Windows Desktop Search 3 deinstallation, discussed occasionally in Internet and here.

I have got this trouble too!

The last update to version 3.01 invoked a serious system resources

leak and my work become twice as slow, my pauses to wait the

reaction from my computer increased from seconds to minutes,

and I understood that without reanimation my computer will

work for 80% of time only for this brilliant WDS!

But it is impossible to uninstall it in my Windows XP SP2 (and to

install f.e. Google Desktop instead)! I have not found any solution

in Internet, in newsgroups, even from Microsoft! So "if the mountain

won't come to Muhammad, Muhammad must go to the mountain!

Here is my proposal to an answer "How to

uninstall Windows Desktop Search 3.0x"!

Your comments and notes would be highly appreciated!

In the situation of incorrect setup utility behavior of Windows

Desktop Search 3.0x, recommendations from Microsoft like: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows/search/dtstshoot.mspx#E4KAC

and advices to use advanced uninstall tools are unuseful. The cause

is in some incomprehensible bug (or "feature"?!) when in some

situations after the setup of WDS the uninstall information is lost.

(f.e. for WDS 3.01 it must be a folder:  

"C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB917013$").

Without this uninstall information it is impossible to uninstall such a complex application (there are drivers, filters, CLSID's etc.) automatically.

To solve the problem you can create the uninstall information

file yourself manually, like the setup utility!

I propose the next algorithm to uninstall WDS

(and many others applications) manually:

0. Not to forget about renew system restore point, system

files backup, system restore disk before to begin!

1. To find the setup configuration file "update.inf" in the distributive.

2. To collect in some special folder the files: spuninst.exe, updspapi.dll.

3. To convert the setup information from update.inf to uninstall information

file spuninst.inf and put spuninst.inf to the same folder as in spuninst.exe

4. To run spuninst.exe - that is all!

A little bit complex, but working method, I used it successfully when this

WDS 3.01 slowed down my computer catastrophically and Microsoft can't

propose any decision to solve problem! BUT it is for your own risk!

There is a common way:

1. Unpack the distributive (f.e. Start->Run->WindowsDesktopSearch-

KB917013-V301-XP-x86-enu.exe -x) in some folder f.e. "UnpWDSSetup"

This was not found on my system.

2. Create folder to store the uninstall information, f.e. "UnpWDSSetup\spuninst"

3. Copy to from "UnpWDSSetup" to "UnpWDSSetup\spuninst\": spuninst.exe

4. Copy to from "UnpWDSSetup\update\" to "UnpWDSSetup\spuninst\": updspapi.dll

5. Get as a template any "spuninst.inf" file

from "%SystemRoot%\$NtUninstallxxxxx$".

This was not found on my system.

This file contains the common uninstall information

structure for spuinist.exe utility.

But the contents depends on the application to uninstall!

By analyzing this template "spuninst.inf"

and "UnpWDSSetup\update\update.inf"

you can successfully build the contents of "UnpWDSSetup\spuninst\spuninst.inf"

necessary to uninstall WDS.

It is not so difficult, but at the end of this post I will quote such an

example of spuininst.inf to uninstall Windows Desktop Search 3.01

6. Edit the section of "UnpWDSSetup\spuninst\spuninst.inf"

and set "RebootRequired  = 1"

7. Before the happy to uninstall your folder

"UnpWDSSetup\spuninst\"

must contain: spuninst.exe, spuninst.inf, updspapi.dll

8. Run "UnpWDSSetup\spuninst\spuninst.exe"

and confirm that you can exist without so beautiful Windows Desktop Search

9. At the end restart your system!

Best regards,

Andrew Kotsar

I have highlighted two sections above that

files were not found on my system.

My Question is?

Can I follow the instructions listed below to manually

remove the Windows Desktop  Search 3.0.1 ??

The contents of spuinist.inf to uninstall Windows Desktop Search 3.01

[Version]
        NtServicePackVersion = 0
        NtServicePackVersionText = "KB917013"
        NtServicePackVersionFullText = "Windows Desktop Search 3.01"
        NtServicePackPreviousVersionText = "No KB917013"
        IEVersion = "0.0.0.0"
        DisplayTitle = "KB917013"
        SP_TITLE = "Windows Desktop Search 3.01"
        RebootRequired  = 1

[SourceDisksNames]
        1="Windows Desktop Search Source Files"

[SourceDisksFiles]
        msscolmn.txt=1
        gathrprm.txt=1
        schema.txt=1
        msscntrs.dll=1
        mssitlb.dll=1
        searchprotocolhost.exe=1
        searchfilterhost.exe=1
        searchindexer.exe=1
        mssph.dll=1
        mssphtb.dll=1
        mssprxy.dll=1
        mssrch.dll=1
        msstrc.dll=1
        propdefs.dll=1
        tquery.dll=1
        msscb.dll=1
        gsrvctr.h=1
        gsrvctr.ini=1
        gthrctr.h=1
        gthrctr.ini=1
        idxcntrs.h=1
        idxcntrs.ini=1
        msshsq.dll=1
        xmlfilter.dll=1
        rtffilt.dll=1
        srchadmin.dll=1
        propsys.dll=1
        searchindexer.exe.mui=1
        mssrch.dll.mui=1
        tquery.dll.mui=1
        mssphtb.dll.mui=1
        mssph.dll.mui=1
        srchadmin.dll.mui=1
        propsys.dll.mui=1
        dsksrch.chm=1
        deskbar.cfg=1
        deskbar.dll=1
        dbsetup.dll=1
        dbres.dll=1
        wordwheel.dll=1
        wwres.dll=1
        msnlDl.dll=1
        msnldlps.dll=1
        msnlExt.dll=1
        msnlExtRes.dll=1
        msnlNamespaceMgr.dll=1
        msnlRed.dll=1
        WdsMktTools.dll=1
        wdsShell.dll=1
        wdsView.dll=1
        WindowsSearch.exe=1
        WindowsSearchRes.dll=1
        MarketStrings.cfg=1
        mapine.dll=1
        mapineres.dll=1
        dbres.dll.mui=1
        msnlExtRes.dll.mui=1
        wwres.dll.mui=1
        mapineres.dll.mui=1
        oeph.dll=1
        OEphRes.dll=1
        OEphRes.dll.mui=1
        UncPH.dll=1
        UncRes.dll=1
        UncCplExt.dll=1
        UncNE.dll=1
        UncDMS.dll=1
        UncRes.dll.mui=1

[DestinationDirs]
        System32.Files                   = 11  ; %windir%\system32 (replace if exist)
        Search.Config.Files             = 16419, "Microsoft\Search\Config" ; ...\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Config
        Search.Data.Config.Files     = 16419, "Microsoft\Search\Data\Config" ; ...\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Config
        Mui.Name.Files                  = 11, "%WDS_MARKET%" ; %windir%\system32\<en-US style locale>
        Mui.ID.Files                       = 11, "mui\%WDS_MARKET_LCID%" ; %windir%\system32\mui\<lcid>
        WindowsDesktopSearch.UI.Files   = 16422, "%WDSAppsSubDir%" ; Program Files\Windows Desktop Search
        Ext.files                            = 16422, "%WDSAppsSubDir%" ; Program Files\Windows Desktop Search
        Ext.Mui.Files                     = 16422, "%WDSAppsSubDir%\%WDS_MARKET%" ; Program Files\Windows Desktop Search\%WDS_MARKET%
        OEPH.Files                       = 11     ; %windir%\system32 (replace if exist)
        OEPH.Mui.Files                 = 11, "%WDS_MARKET%" ; %windir%\system32\<en-US style locale>
        UNCPH.Files                     = 11     ; %windir%\system32 (replace if exist)
        UNCPH.Mui.Files               = 11, "%WDS_MARKET%" ; %windir%\system32\<en-US style locale>

KB917013.cat

"%SystemRoot%\System32\cmd.exe /c     

""%SystemRoot%\System32\unlodctr.exe UGatherer"""

""%SystemRoot%\System32\unlodctr.exe UGTHRSVC"""

""%SystemRoot%\System32\unlodctr.exe wsearchidxpi"""

[Configuration]
        UninstallationType        = "Hotfix"
        UnInstallLogFileName   = "KB917013Uninst.log"
        ProductName              = ""
        CustomizationDll          = ""
        OverwriteThirdParty       = 0
        RestartDevice                = 0
        ServiceFileInUseDetect   = "0"
    UninstallCustomizationDLL   = wss_SpCustom.dll

[GlobalRegistryChanges]
     DelReg = Del.Reg

[Del.Reg]
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows Search, "DefaultColumnFile"
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows Search\ContentIndexCommon
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows Search\DataDirectory

[Product.Del.Reg.UI]

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 8:49 PM
  • Hi, bmlawr,

> Unpack the distributive (f.e. Start->Run->WindowsDesktopSearch-KB917013-V301-XP-x86-enu.exe -x) in some folder f.e. "UnpWDSSetup"

> This was not found on my system.

Please download it from download.microsoft.com: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=738fc2de-49b9-4e69-9227-2206277ab7c9&DisplayLang=en

> Get as a template any "spuninst.inf" file "%SystemRoot%\$NtUninstallxxxxx$".

> This was not found on my system
    It's possible when you have not applied Windows updates or you have deleted the uninstall information or... you forgot to switch on "Show hidden files" option in Windows Explorer. But it's much simplier to use my template or the original Microsoft's uninstaller uploaded by dexter here! Smile

> My Question is?

> Can I follow the instructions listed below to manually remove the Windows Desktop  Search 3.0.1
    My template and the uninstaller uploaded by dexter are for Windows Desktop Search 3.01. That's why you can use it! Smile For the other verstion of WDS you need to analyse *.inf files manually as described. But I have not been heard about uninstall problems with the other versions!

Sunday, April 06, 2008 8:46 AM
  • I have found that useing the uninstall feature of the application "CCleaner" on WDS 3.01 wiped it completly and made for an easy install of WDS 4  

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 3:43 AM
  •  

My Method:

To Uninstall Windows Desktop Search 3.01

My Method seems to have worked for Windows XP Service Pack 2 on my machine.

Start

Run

Type c:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB917013$

A folder will open.

Locate SPUNINST folder.

Run the Uninstall Setup file there.

Otherwise if no folder there u need to download a program that searches for files on your computer...Im sure theres loads on download.com

then look for that folder $NtUninstallKB917013$

Hope that helped!

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 2:45 PM
  •  Dexter M wrote:

Sorry, I missed this part in your post:

> in some situations after the setup of WDS the uninstall information is losted (f.e. for WDS 3.01 it must be a folder "C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB917013$").

In that case, all one needs to do is get a copy of that folder. That's the best and easiest method for uninstalling WDS.

You can download the uninstall folder from here:

$NtUninstallKB917013$.zip     (375 KB)

Just extract it someplace and launch \spuninst\spuninst.exe

To make it more simpler, I also made an SFX archive that'll automatically launch the uninstaller:

WDS_3.01_Uninstall.exe     (403 KB)

THANKS DEXTER THAT HELPED ME get rid of that crazy desktop search. I had version 6.06.xx, boy that piece of xxxx software was slowing my machine like crazy. Glad to be rid of it, thanks Dexter M, I wonder why they didn't put in an uninstall program for it?
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 2:17 PM
  • Thanks Dexter your first folder worked, i installed it in the windows directory ran spuninst.exe in the spuninst folder and it worked! Crazy that this c&@p software doesn't have an uninstall feature.
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 2:21 PM
  • Dear Dexter,

Fortunately, I wandered around several forums searching for the best and more simple way of uninstalling Windows 3.01 until I came to this forum where I found your recommendation : easy, simple, effective while there were others who recommended complex ways of doing it, which made me feel absolutely incapable to go into effect. The result after downloading and installing your uninstaller was perfect. Thanks a lot from a chilean newbie who committed the unforgiven sin of installing such a complex and useless program being an ignorant on computer sciences.

herdoktor

Hernan Diaz

Santiago de Chile

Saturday, June 07, 2008 10:56 PM
  • Thanks for the tip!!!

In case for removing the newer version of Windows Desktop Search v 4.00.6001

I used the following code in spuninst.inf:

********************************************************************************
    [Version]

NtServicePackVersion = 0
        NtServicePackVersionText = "KB940157"
        NtServicePackVersionFullText = "Windows Search 4.0"
        NtServicePackPreviousVersionText = "No KB940157"
        IEVersion = "0.0.0.0"
        DisplayTitle = "KB940157"
        SP_TITLE = "Windows Search 4.0"
        RebootRequired  = 1

[SourceDisksNames]

1 = "Windows Search Source Files"

[SourceDisksFiles]

msscntrs.dll=1
        mssitlb.dll=1
        searchprotocolhost.exe=1
        searchfilterhost.exe=1
        searchindexer.exe=1
        mssph.dll=1
        mssphtb.dll=1
        mssprxy.dll=1
        mssrch.dll=1
        msstrc.dll=1
        propdefs.dll=1
        tquery.dll=1
        msscb.dll=1
        gsrvctr.h=1
        gsrvctr.ini=1
        gthrctr.h=1
        gthrctr.ini=1
        idxcntrs.h=1
        idxcntrs.ini=1
        msshooks.dll=1
        msshsq.dll=1
        xmlfilter.dll=1
        rtffilt.dll=1
        srchadmin.dll=1
        propsys.dll=1
        searchindexer.exe.mui=1
        mssrch.dll.mui=1
        tquery.dll.mui=1
        mssphtb.dll.mui=1
        mssph.dll.mui=1
        srchadmin.dll.mui=1
        propsys.dll.mui=1
        dsksrch.chm=1
        deskbar.cfg=1
        deskbar.dll=1
        dbsetup.dll=1
        dbres.dll=1
        wordwheel.dll=1
        wwres.dll=1
        msnlDl.dll=1
        msnldlps.dll=1
        msnlExt.dll=1
        msnlExtRes.dll=1
        msnlNamespaceMgr.dll=1
        msnlRed.dll=1
        WdsMktTools.dll=1
        wdsShell.dll=1
        wdsView.dll=1
        WindowsSearch.exe=1
        WindowsSearchRes.dll=1
        MarketStrings.cfg=1
        mapine.dll=1
        mapineres.dll=1
        dbres.dll.mui=1
        msnlExtRes.dll.mui=1
        wwres.dll.mui=1
        mapineres.dll.mui=1
        xppreviewproxy.dll=1
        Search.adm=1
        WindowsSearchEngine.mof=1
        WindowsSearchEngine_Uninst.mof=1
        oeph.dll=1
        OEphRes.dll=1
        OEphRes.dll.mui=1
        UncPH.dll=1
        UncRes.dll=1
        UncCplExt.dll=1
        UncNE.dll=1
        UncDMS.dll=1
        UncRes.dll.mui=1

[DestinationDirs]

System32.Files                  = 11     ; %windir%\system32 (replace if exist)
        Wbem.Files                      = 11, "Wbem" ; %windir%\system32\wbem
        Search.Data.Config.Files        = 16419, "Microsoft\Search\Data\Config" ; ...\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Config
        Mui.Files                       = 11, "%WDS_MARKET%" ; %windir%\system32\<en-US style locale>
        Ext.files                       = 16422, "%WDSAppsSubDir%" ; Program Files\Windows Desktop Search
        Ext.Mui.Files                   = 16422, "%WDSAppsSubDir%\%WDS_MARKET%" ; Program Files\Windows Desktop Search\%WDS_MARKET%
        ADM.File1                       = 11, "GroupPolicy\ADM" ; %windir%\system32\GroupPolicy\ADM
        ADM.File2                       = 17     ; %windir%\inf
        OEPH.Files                  = 11     ; %windir%\system32 (replace if exist)
        OEPH.Mui.Files              = 11, "%WDS_MARKET%" ; %windir%\system32\<en-US style locale>
        UNCPH.Files                 = 11     ; %windir%\system32 (replace if exist)
        UNCPH.Mui.Files             = 11, "%WDS_MARKET%" ; %windir%\system32\<en-US style locale>

KB940157.cat

"%SystemRoot%\System32\cmd.exe /c ""%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\mofcomp.exe %SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\WindowsSearchEngine_Uninst.mof"""
        "%SystemRoot%\System32\cmd.exe /c ""%SystemRoot%\System32\unlodctr.exe UGatherer"""
        "%SystemRoot%\System32\cmd.exe /c ""%SystemRoot%\System32\unlodctr.exe UGTHRSVC"""
        "%SystemRoot%\System32\cmd.exe /c ""%SystemRoot%\System32\unlodctr.exe wsearchidxpi"""

[Configuration]

UninstallationType    = "Hotfix"
        UnInstallLogFileName  = "KB940157Uninst.log"
        ProductName           = ""
        CustomizationDll      = ""
        OverwriteThirdParty    = 0
        RestartDevice          = 0
        ServiceFileInUseDetect       = "0"
      UninstallCustomizationDLL = wss_SpCustom.dll

[GlobalRegistryChanges]
     DelReg = Del.Reg

[Del.Reg]

HKLM, SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP%SERVICE_PACK_NUMBER%\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows Search\CrawlScopeManager_LastKnownGood
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows Search\Tracing
        HKCU, Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertySchema
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertySchema, "CachedSchema"
        HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertySchema, "InstalledSchemasCheckpoint"

[Product.Del.Reg.UI]

*********************************************************************************************************************************
    Wednesday, August 06, 2008 2:06 PM
  • I know I have this problem - yet when I started with your solution, start/run - my computer said it couldn't find

-KB917013-V301-XP-x86-enu.exe

??!!!  Which stopped me from your solution.  Could this be because I tried to uninstall it manually before going to the internet to find out HOW TO GET RID OF THIS, how to uninstall?  I only ran a manual search for windows indexer, initially deleting all files, so unless this file was in one of those folders, it should still be on my computer.  If you know why my computer can't find this file, let me know.  If not, I'm unable to go any further - unfortunately! Sad

Thanks!

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 5:04 PM
  •  wzbryk wrote:

Before to post "The way to uninstall..." I've tried to check your variant (as well as the many others) when spuninst.inf could not be found by spuninst.exe, but with no problems - spuninst.exe refused to work. Usually there is no others spuninst.inf files in PATH, because they have to be in special subfolders with service pack uninstall information. I think your history is unique for your system with losted spuninst.inf somewhere in system or large %PATH%, but the other "colleagues" have to keep in mind your advice! Thank you, John!

I just discovered in playing around that if the spuninst.inf file isn't valid it will still be declared "missing" by spuinst.exe (I had cut and pasted the example here, and accidentally left in the top 3 "comment" lines, i.e. the "******" and "Contents of..." lines. When I chopped those lines back out, it worked.

It all worked like a charm for me too.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 6:33 PM
  • Thanks for the information. I am getting a critical error that says "The handle is invalid."

I click OK on that message box and then it says "The  was not uninstalled." (critical again).

So, it isn't quite working for me.

When I look in the registry, I find

MSSearch36

CLSID

C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\OLMAPI32.DLL

With outlook.search.protocolhandler {8BD0DD9B-7BBE-4688-833A-EB24507FEDAC}.

Thanks,

Geoff

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 11:51 PM
  • Kostar,

Thank you for this post. I had an user who could not open Outlook, except in safe mode. I decided that Windows Desktop Search was causing the problem but I could not uninstall it until I found your post. Your method worked perfectly.

SNAFU58

Friday, August 15, 2008 3:18 PM
  •  

When I used the spuninst.inf from page two of these posts (where there was a link to the one someone else used) I was successfully able to uninstall.

Thanks!

Geoff

Friday, August 15, 2008 5:30 PM
  • Hi Dexter,

Your program worked perfectly.  My computer runs faster now as well.  WDTS was consuming CPU's and slowing it down dramatically.

Thanks again for making an excellent product and helping all of us out!

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 4:13 PM
  •  

Nice Worked like a Charm. Virus Removal at it's best.
    Wednesday, September 03, 2008 5:19 PM
  • Lately they are shipping version 4 (still a piece of cr@p). To rid this junk, you won't be able to find "C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB917013$" but rather you should find "C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB940157$"). There you will find spuninst.exe, just run that.

Many thanks to the posters here who gave me the idea of what else to look for.

So if you cant find the above folder, check you download folder for the name of the program you used to install. In my case, it was WindowsSearch-KB940157-XP-x86-enu.exe. If your KB number is different, replace it in the search for the uninstall folder.

Incidentally, if you have Outlook 2007 and want to rid that stupid instant search box message above your inbox, Tools->Options->Other->Advanced and uncheck "Show prompts to enable instant search"

Amazing that MS forces such a poorly executing program. My computer , which is already slow due to AV, anti spyware and the like CRAWLED to a halt when WDS was installed. Goggle's DS no better either. Worse of all, even after indexing, it still wouldn't find things I was looking for! That dumb old serach companion, slow as it may be, still is the only working program I have that does the trick. Unbelievable.....

Ed
    Friday, September 05, 2008 8:40 PM
  • Hi,
        Great work ! It was just cake walk
    Monday, October 20, 2008 11:23 AM
  •  

THANK YOU so much for the spuninst.inf.... windows search was driving me crazy!  I found absolutely no value in it at all.
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 2:18 AM
  • Many thanks Andrew, this has been driving me nuts for quite some time.

You solution worked like a charm although I made a slight alteration. Instead of creating the suggested folders, I simply made a copy of one of the other '$NtUnistall' directories, changed it's name to the directory that Add/Remove was looking for, then opened up the spuninst.inf file within it replacing the data with your kind offering and made sure the dll file existed.

As I still had Add/Remove window open, I ran the remove from there and it worked like a treat.

Many thanks again.

Supatrukka
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 12:35 PM
  • When I execute "spuninst.exe" an error window appear: "The update coud not be removed because newer updates are installed. Please remove the newer updates first." the installed version is the 7.0.6001.16503, my question is: Where are the updates?
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 4:04 AM