none
Unable to remove Read only attribute of C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS folder on win XPSP3

General discussion

• Hi,

I have admin rights on my machine (Created new user, added in administrator group), still when i tried to remove read only access of C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS folder, i am unable to do this. i performed following steps:

1. Go to sharing and security of C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS folder

2. Can see only 3 tabs for WinSxS properties window :General, Sharing and Customize

3. In general, unchecked read only checkbox, say apply, shows two option,

a. Apply changes to this folder, subfolder and files-->Ok-->showing an error message as "...Access is denied"

b. Apply changes to this folder only-->OK-->Read only check box is showing as unchecked-->Ok

4. Again check properties of C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS folder, Read only check box is checked and gray out.

So please tell me, after logging with an admin rights, how to remove read only access of C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS folder.

Note: if i posted my question in incorrect forum, Please move it to correct forum. thanks!!!

Thanks,

Sudhir

Saturday, April 07, 2012 6:29 AM

All replies

• The Read-only box doesn't affect the WinSxS directory, but only files contained in the directory.

On the English version of Windows 7, the label for that box is Read-only (Only applies to files in folder). So it does out right say that it doesn't apply to the directory itself.

Now, whatever you are trying to do is likely not being blocked by this read only attribute, so if you want help then provide more information. Oh, also check the ACL on WinSxS to see what the Administrators user group have permission to do. On Windows 7 Administrator only has read and execute permissions for example.

This is a signature

Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

Do you want Visual Studio 11 Express to be freely installable on Windows 7 and able to write regular C++ applications? Please vote for this.

Monday, April 09, 2012 5:41 PM
  • That folder is Read-only for a reason - it protects the assemblies from being updated by malware.  Installers have special mechanisms which allow them to add and update files within it.

What reason do you have for wanting to override this protection?

Answering policy: see profile.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 2:41 PM
  • how to unprotect especific folder ?

Eduardo Trombini MCTS - 2008 Active Directoty | MCTS - 2008 Network Infraestructure | MCP - 2003 |

Thursday, August 30, 2012 6:45 PM
  • Well for one, it is my computer. I own it, so as such I should be able to decide what eats up all of my disk space. Not some useless files that as far as I am concerned serve no purpose. So either tell us how to remove them, or I shall be installing the Lion OS on this machine and telling everyone I know that XP was the last thing your company has ever done right. As a consumer, I am about as unhappy as they get. My 70 gig hard drive has 2 gig of free space and this is from a fresh install, plus updates. I have no other software installed at this time. If this is how Windows is going to be from now on, I see little reason to continue using it.
    Saturday, March 16, 2013 7:52 PM