none
How to install XP driver on Windows 7

Question

• I have written more and more drivers for PCI/PCIE boards for 32-bits Windows XP and now I write new drivers for 64-bits Windows 7.

Before I succeed to update all drivers, is-it possible to install my old XP drivers on Windows 7...

This driver has launched as services at the start of Windows? So I could use commands like NET START and NET STOP to enable and disable this drivers on Windows XP.

Of course, I need to add digital signing to my driver: I have already recent Verisign Certificat to install new drivers on Windows 7.

How to install my old driver ? Signing this old drivers before installation is it sufficient ?

Delphine GARRO
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 1:59 PM

Answers

• You only need the certificate for 64 bit drivers. Your older XP drivers "should" work under Win 7. That's not a 100% guarantee, but generally existing drivers do work on newer OS versions.
    Gary G. Little NanoTelesis Systems, LLC
    • Marked as answer by GARRO Delphine Tuesday, September 13, 2011 3:10 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 2:13 PM
  • If you are not plug and play for a PCI board it will not work for Win7.  It was extremely risky on XP, where depending on the system and the board a non-PNP driver may or may not work.  Don't even bother tryign this with Win7 or 64-bit, just throw out the driver and start over again, probably with KMDF since doing the driver as WDM is not worth it these days.

Don Burn Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/WinDrvr
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 2:35 PM

All replies

• You only need the certificate for 64 bit drivers. Your older XP drivers "should" work under Win 7. That's not a 100% guarantee, but generally existing drivers do work on newer OS versions.
    Gary G. Little NanoTelesis Systems, LLC
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 2:13 PM
  • If you are not plug and play for a PCI board it will not work for Win7.  It was extremely risky on XP, where depending on the system and the board a non-PNP driver may or may not work.  Don't even bother tryign this with Win7 or 64-bit, just throw out the driver and start over again, probably with KMDF since doing the driver as WDM is not worth it these days.

Don Burn Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/WinDrvr
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 2:35 PM
  • My old drivers wasn't plug and play. After installing driver on  64-bits Windows 7, Windows add error message on system log:

the driver isn't build for this version of operating system. Contact your manufacturer to get best driver. The driver has been blocked by Device Manager...

Effectively, my old driver are obsolet...

It's a pity! It was necessary to try ...

Thank you for your help, Donald and Gary .

Delphine GARRO
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 3:09 PM
  • GARRO Delphine wrote:
    >
    >My old drivers wasn't plug and play. After installing driver on 64-bits
    >Windows 7, Windows add error message on system log:
    >
    >the driver isn't build for this version of operating system. Contact
    >your manufacturer to get best driver. The driver has been blocked
    >by Device Manager...
    >
    >Effectively, my old driver are obsolet...

Did you actually compile a 64-bit build of your driver?  You need separate
    binaries for 32-bit and 64-bit.
    --
    Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Tim Roberts, DDK MVP Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:34 AM
  • No, it's impossible to compile a 64-bits build of my driver because of  warnings due to obsole functions, obsolete structure, ... (>20)  .

the .obj of my driver is never created without indicating in log file the errors ... only warnings ...

Delphine GARRO
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:40 AM
  • GARRO Delphine wrote:
    >
    >No, it's impossible to compile a 64-bits build of my driver because of
    >warnings due to obsole functions, obsolete structure, ... (>20)  .

You will not be able to load this driver on a 64-bit system until can build
    a 64-bit binary.

>the .obj of my driver is never created without indicating in log file
    >the errors ... only warnings ...

If there are only warnings, and you know that the issues are not important,
    you can suppress them using #pragmas.
    --
    Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Tim Roberts, DDK MVP Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 3:15 AM