There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, Go to Control Panel and Other Hardware..etc? HELP

Question

• My computer can't play any sound....  I get this popup message:

"There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, Go to Control Panel and Other Hardware, and then click ADD HARDWARE."

I did as the popup message said. 

1. I use ADD HARDWARE WIZARD

2. Is te hardware connected?

I select the option that says : Yes I have already connected the hardware. then click next

3. On th next step.. It shows me the installed hardware:

I select th REALTEKHIGH DEFINITION AUDIO and the click next...but. on the COMPLETING

THE HARDWARE WIZARD window I get this message.."This device cannot start. (Code 10)".

What should I do?

Sunday, April 22, 2007 6:29 PM

Answers

• I don't know, but perhaps you want to try going online and seeing if there's a new driver you can pick up.  Also, as always, make sure you have all your Windows Updates.  Beyond that, though, I don't know.

Another forum you might want to try (though, like this one, it's aimed at developers, not really tech support) is the audio forum: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=351&SiteID=1

Monday, April 23, 2007 3:56 PM

All replies

• I don't know, but perhaps you want to try going online and seeing if there's a new driver you can pick up.  Also, as always, make sure you have all your Windows Updates.  Beyond that, though, I don't know.

Another forum you might want to try (though, like this one, it's aimed at developers, not really tech support) is the audio forum: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=351&SiteID=1

Monday, April 23, 2007 3:56 PM
  • WHY CAN'T  I PLAY ANY SOUND? THEY SAY TO GET A MIXER DEVICES

Sunday, May 06, 2007 4:53 AM
  • hi

yes its right that i get this message but when i do what it says and choose i have already connected the hardware when i click next i see alot of options and i dont know what to choose can you help me please

note: i tried clicking on some of the options but it says to me that this hardware is working properly

plz plz help me and quiqly because i really need this 

Sunday, May 20, 2007 4:53 PM
  • my computer didn't start up so i repairde mthe system with Windows Xp Home Edition SP1. The mistake I made was to  use SP1 to repair while it had Windows Xp Home SP2 before the problem. I found out that my Sound Drivers  weren't compatible with SP1 so I had to update the system with Service Pack 2. After i had installed Service Pack 2 my sound drivers worked properly..

before installing SP2 I backedup all the data I had.....

Monday, May 21, 2007 5:46 PM
  • Hi. I had the same problem and found the answer elsewhere. What you have to do is start the Windows Audio Service. For some reason it gets stopped. Here's what the post said:

Go to Start --> Run, and type in services.msc.

A window will pop up with a list of services. Scroll down to Windows Audio. Right-click
    and click on Properties.

Make sure that "Startup type" is set to automatic. Also, make sure, under "Service
    status," start is selected.

Hope this helps! Good luck.
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 5:58 PM
  • Thanks aezarik this fixed a problem on my mom's laptop and I thought it had something to do with the drivers I was installing or the laptop wasn't registering it. Thanks again.

Cheers

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 10:09 PM
  • I just wanted to say thank you... I can't believe it was that easy to fix.  You've saved me from hours of frustration...

Thanks again!

Monday, May 28, 2007 6:21 PM
  • Oh my gosh... I can't believe that it's that simple. Thank you SO much! I was dying... almost literally.
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 2:54 PM
  • Hi team,

Have tried the:

A window will pop up with a list of services. Scroll down to Windows Audio. Right-click and click on Properties.

Make sure that "Startup type" is set to automatic. Also, make sure, under "Service status," start is selected.

But "Audio" doesn't come up...

Helps please Smile

Thursday, May 31, 2007 8:44 PM
  • I go to control panel but i don't see Other Hardware tab. please help. I see the add hardware tab but that's not helping.
    Thursday, June 07, 2007 10:57 PM
  • I did all the above.

My "Startup type" was already set to automatic, and in "Service status" all the buttons were greyd (Start, Pause, Resume) except for the "Stop" one. Right by "Service status" it already said "Started". I pushed "Stop". A little window came out with a progress bar that said something but I couldn't read it cuz it got filled fast and the window closed by itself. Then all the buttons except the "Start" buttons went grey. I pushed the "Start" button, window pops out again, etc, and it all goes back to how it used to be.

I still can't hear anything, and it still tells me I need mixer devices.

Saturday, June 30, 2007 8:51 PM
  • Perfect! Great job. You apparently know more than the guy who was paid to set up this new computer. Thanks!!
    Wednesday, July 04, 2007 11:13 PM
  • Hey i tried that and it didn't work!!

Sad what should i do!!!!! help pleasE

Thursday, July 05, 2007 8:23 AM
  •  

update my sound devices
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 9:37 AM
  • Just wanted to thank you for your help

It was pretty simple once you find out how to repair it, have no Idea how it ended up stopped though.

Thanks

Cover

Sunday, July 29, 2007 4:14 PM
  • I have tried this and I am still getting the error message.  PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monday, July 30, 2007 7:24 PM
  • My Friend you are a life saver.  I've been pulling out my hair for a week trying to fix this problem.  I knew my problem was one simple little click.  Thanks.

Monday, August 06, 2007 11:57 PM
  • Hello Mirilin! i experienced the same thing, so did you get help? i know this msg was long overdue... please help me out if you got help already...

Thank you.

Saturday, August 11, 2007 9:50 PM
  • I dont know if any one can help, I cannot get any sound what so ever from my laptop..it recently got fixed by a family friend and ever since it came back its lost all sound..Ihve read through all the other posts and that on here and tried whats been suggested but nothing is coming up!

Please help someone its starting to drive me crazy!!

Thanks

Katie

Sunday, August 12, 2007 2:30 PM
  • Hey Everyone.
    Im having the same problem as the rest.
    And i seriously need some help. Sad

Anyway... this is what i did.
    I Click the "Start" button and Click on "Run"
    Then a little "Run" program will appear and i key in services.msc and Click "Enter"
    "Services" program appeared.
    I scrolled down and I Click on "Windows Audio"
    Another program will appear.
    Everything is alright. But my "Start", "Stop", "Pause", "Resume" is all greyed-out!
    What can i do? and its put as start and there's no volume control onto my taskbar.

Pls Help.
    Tuesday, August 14, 2007 10:18 AM
  • I am also getting this problem... It seems that the first solution isn't helping.. my windows audio is already started. I have refreshed ,any times but thus still does not stop the error message from my volume control.. or my sound
    Wednesday, August 15, 2007 1:15 PM
  • Some times this happens when you upgrate your windows from windows 95,98, to windows xp. the audio card is not compatible with windows xp. if you have original vertion with drivers cd's you can update you drive, because some times for a new windows installation you will loose your active mixer information.If you have a pc tower with no driver's cd's you need to replace audio card for someting conpatible with (windows xp) probably no more then $20 us dollars.

If you have an older vertion of labtop/notebook your better with the original windows vertion. if you install original vertion of windows: your audio mixer will work.

This happens several times to me. When upgrate to Newer Vertion of windows

Friday, August 17, 2007 3:09 AM
  • Tried this suggestion, also, still no sound (sound device was already set on auto) But thanks for trying to help.

Sunday, September 16, 2007 11:51 PM
  •  

Ok, i have done this... still not working.

i am trying to open my "volume control" and that's when i get this message.

anyone have any other suggestions?

Monday, October 22, 2007 6:14 PM
  • Same boat as most people here... Can anyone help?  Much appreciated.
    Saturday, November 03, 2007 11:42 PM
  •  To aezarik

This worked perfectly!  Thanks for the help!!  

Saturday, November 17, 2007 12:43 AM
  • i have had the same problem, here is the solution: click "start" go to "run" type in services.msc. scroll down to windows audio "right click" and go to "properties" make sure that start up type is "automatic" and service status is started "click start" and your problems will be solved.

Monday, November 19, 2007 1:45 AM
  • Hi All,

Download a tool which will show your system detals like serach for everst tool(URL http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Everest-Home-Edition-Download-16369.html) and follow the following steps

1. In everst tool under multimedia it'll show you the audio device or sound device or something like that

2. Click on that in the detail pan it'll show u the detail of the audio device that will be something like 180285 High audio device or something like that

3. Copy that type and search in google for driver for this type of audio device.

4. Install that driver and it'll resolve your problem 100%.

Vikas

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 2:19 AM
  •  

wat shuld i do
    Sunday, December 16, 2007 2:14 PM
  •  Elcana wrote:

My computer can't play any sound....  I get this popup message:

"There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, Go to Control Panel and Other Hardware, and then click ADD HARDWARE."

I select the option that says : Yes I have already connected the hardware. then click next

I select th REALTEKHIGH DEFINITION AUDIO and the click next...but. on the COMPLETING

THE HARDWARE WIZARD window I get this message.."This device cannot start. (Code 10)".

What should I do?

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 12:00 AM
  • I still have this problem also, I have done everything that has been suggested short of thaking the PC to a shop. Just wish I knew how to fix this,strange, here one day,gone the next!!! If there is anyone who has done something different, please let us know. I feel this has occured after a MS update. Strsnge thing about it, my warranty just expired and Dell and MS want to charge me to help me fix it. Thanks Toots1945

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 3:31 AM
  • After trying every suggested fix out there and hitting a brick wall, I came across the answer.

The plug and play software emulator was missing. It was impact not only my sound  but several other devices as well. Fixed it by searching for machine.inf then copy to temp directory. remove
    at about line 20 beneath [Control Flags]the words " ExcludeFromSelect=* "

go to control panel, add new hardware, next (let it seach), yes hardware
    is connected, next, scroll to bottom, add new hardware device, next,
    install from list, next, select system devices, next, select have disk,
    point to amended copy of machine.inf in temp directory, scroll to "plug
    and play software device enumerator" in right hand column, next and
    complete install. Thats it. In seconds you should be fixed!

Forjs

Saturday, January 12, 2008 10:29 AM
  •  Elcana wrote:

What should I do?

Monday, January 28, 2008 11:37 AM
  • wat u mean make sure its under service status i dont understand ive tryed everything i cant get the sound to work someone help me please!! it keeps  saying   Re: There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, Go to Control Panel and Other Hardware..etc? HELP

Sunday, February 03, 2008 4:40 PM
  •  aezarik wrote:
    Hi. I had the same problem and found the answer elsewhere. What you have to do is start the Windows Audio Service. For some reason it gets stopped. Here's what the post said:

A window will pop up with a list of services. Scroll down to Windows Audio. Right-click
    and click on Properties.

Make sure that "Startup type" is set to automatic. Also, make sure, under "Service
    status," start is selected.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

THANKS ALOT!!!! =D

Monday, February 11, 2008 4:00 AM
  • After trying every suggested fix out there and hitting a brick wall, I came across the answer.

The plug and play software emulator was missing. It was impact not only my sound  but several other devices as well. Fixed it by searching for machine.inf then copy to temp directory. remove

Forjs

wht u mean of "remove
    "

"point to amended copy of machine.inf in temp directory, scroll to "plug
    complete install."

i managed to find machine.inf and copied in temp directory. but wht do u mean of "point to amended copy of machine.inf in temp directory".

when i had selected machine.inf, there is no "plug
    and play software device enumerator"

pls help

Monday, February 11, 2008 3:11 PM
  •  

GO-TO Help And Support Center
    Bottem left click on Fixing a problem
         Then click Games Multimedia Troubleshooter
    Click Next (its already on the correct filled bubble "I am having a problem with a Universal Serial bus)
     Click on the Blue Highlighted hyper link -USB truble shooter, Then Next
    now the blue hyighterd hyper link -Device Manager.

Find and Right click Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller,

Properties

RE-install Driver...and your done!
    Sounds all yours.  Tweakxp.com for more interest in Performance and all.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 4:17 AM
  •  

Click Next (its already on the correct filled bubble "I am having a problem with a Universal Serial bus)

Properties

Sounds all yours.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 4:18 AM

• I have tried every possible solution suggest when I finally discovered the solution.  So simple yet effective.

If all fails try:

• ALL PROGRAMS
    • ACCESSORIES
    • SYSTEM TOOLS
    • CLICK SYSTEM TOOLS (Last one down)

ENSURE THAT RESTORE MY COMPUTER TO AN EARLIER TIME IS SLECTED AND CLICK NEXT

Think back to the day when your computer was fully operational, no problems etc

CLICK A CALENDAR DATE TO WHICH YOU WANT TO RESTORE YOUR COMPUTER

(Select a restore point screen provides a calendar that allows you to see and select restore points)

• SELECT A RESTORE POINT AND NEXT
    • CLICK NEXT
    • The restoration complete screen appears after system restore finishes collecting data and then the COMPUTER RESTARS
    • AFTER THE COMPUTER RESTARTS CLICK OK
    To change the restore point date, either repeat the steps using a different restore date or undo the restoration.

Good luck!
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 11:53 AM
  • Vikas,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!  I had tried NUMEROUS sites to no avail. After seeing your reply, I followed the steps and now have sound.  Your the best Smile !

nnpllgrn

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 3:18 AM
  •  

Hi,

Please try the following:

Go to Start -> Settings -> ControlPanel -> Administrative Tools -> Services

or from Start -> Run type in services.msc to launch the services screen.
    Herein, find the service named Windows Audio, which manages Windows audio devices.
    If this service is stopped then audio and its associated components will not work. Set its Startup property to Automatic so that it starts everytime when you start your system. This should fix your problem.
    Friday, February 29, 2008 1:06 AM
  • I just want to thank you for the hint, it was really helpfull Big SmileBig Smile

Sunday, March 02, 2008 2:34 PM
  • WHY CAN'T  I PLAY ANY SOUND? Error message says there is no active mixer devices available.

Monday, March 03, 2008 11:46 PM
  • Whats up dudes

Restart your computer, when its starting up press delete. That will bring you to a screen, go to integrated peripherals and you will see HD Audio etc. probably disabled, enable it and press F10 to save it

Problem solved
    Peace
    Friday, March 07, 2008 5:25 PM
  • I have this same problem, no audio at all coming from my PC.

I have tried EVERYTHING, every solution suggested in this thread, asked other forums, help site, downloaded new drivers, old drivers, new chipsets, old chipsets, BIOSenabling (it was already enabled), enabling services (it was already enabled).

Please, I need some kind of genius to give me some magic fix for this, I've been googling the problem for, no joke, about 6 hours.

Please.
    Saturday, March 08, 2008 12:41 PM
  •  

I had the same problem and tried for 3 months to fix it. tried everything that was suggested. I took my computer to the shop and talked to the guy there. he said that if everything is enabled the only thing that can be done is to completely reformat. took it back home, reformatted and it worked great. sound was there. just remember to save everything you want to save before you reformat. good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Saturday, March 08, 2008 4:58 PM
  • Thanks, wingfan1966, you hit the nail on the head. This happened to me because I deleted stuff running in the background from the task manager. Oops. Live and learn.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 3:17 AM
  •  

Friday, March 28, 2008 2:54 AM
  • post is good!!!!!
    Monday, March 31, 2008 2:27 PM
  •  Elcana wrote:

What should I do?

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 6:38 PM
  •  Elcana wrote:

What should I do?

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 6:38 PM
  •  Elcana wrote:

What should I do?

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 6:39 PM
  •  Elcana wrote:

What should I do?

•  Elcana wrote:

What should I do?

•  Elcana wrote:

What should I do?

•  Elcana wrote:

What should I do?

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 6:40 PM
  •  Elcana wrote:

What should I do?

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 6:40 PM
  •  

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 6:41 PM
  • I hope this helps, It all started with my dell 4600 having no sound using WinXP pro.

After attempting to Troubleshoot it says to check the Volume Control, but when you click it you get the Active Mixers Missing error.

Step 1. reboot and while rebooting hit F2 key to go into your BIOS... DO NOT TOY AROUND In the BIOS if you are a casual computer user...  Under intergrated Peripharals, check to make sure sound is On, esc out, save and exit if you changed it from Off to On.   THIS MAY SOLVE YOUR WHOLE PROBLEM... For me, it got trickier therefore...

Step 2. after i logged in my computer "Found New Hardware". Attempting to Install the "Multimedia Audio Controller" the System could not locate the Device Drivers and kept failing. 

Step 3. Dig deep into your desk drawers or whever and find your Resource CD that came with your system it will have the Driver necessary and VIOLA, sweet sweet sound.

Hope this helps

Friday, April 11, 2008 9:25 PM
  • Friday, April 11, 2008 11:56 PM
  • it shows mixer is installed but it is not funtioning properly

Monday, April 28, 2008 5:01 AM
  • yuup i have a similar problem also. my pc had a virus and everything had 2 b wiped of & now i have no sound. maybe u should try going 2 ur pc manufacturers site n download whatever u need from there? apparently my solution says i must update the audio driver??? hope this helped (probably not though!)

Saturday, May 10, 2008 12:38 PM
  • Yesterday  everything was ok, today it tells me I have not instal the mixer device.

Sunday, May 18, 2008 1:00 PM
  •  

Sorry but my sound is not working. I'm useing Compaq.
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 5:29 AM
  • thanks, it works fine, the windows audio service stops and it's just about a click to fix it
    saludos
    fer
    Tuesday, July 01, 2008 12:01 AM
  • Folks,

I think the resolution came in an unrelated way. I read through all the posts. I am amazed how many of them are repeated and none of them were helpful. Then I got to the creative thinking time. Perry11, thanks. You didn't give the right answer but it was danged close. Here is what Perry11 wrote and I couldn't understand how the USB Controller would fix the audio problem.

Perry11 wrote:

Properties

Sounds all yours.

The fact of the matter is that the USB Controller did not fix my Audio problem. I had the same problems of the Audio Services were already started. I even went back and checked new options for a different tab that read "Recovery" for the Audio Service. I changed them to reattempt in 1 minute. That didn't help. So then I did the following. Basically start by getting to Device Manager. I got there the following way:

• Start
    • Fixing a problem
    • Games, sounds, and Video problems
    • Games and Multimedia Troubleshooter
    • Next (to select I am having a problem with a USB device)
    • Click the link to USB Troubleshooter
    • Next (to select I am having a problem with a USB)
    • Click the link to Device Manager (this is where I deviated from Perry11's advice)
    • Expand the "Sound, video, and game controllers"
    • Right click "Realtek High Def Audio"

(**NOTE**I got lucky in that after I got rid of some Malware, Realtek High Def Audio came back to the selection. If you don't have the Realtek in your device manager for Sound, video, and game controllers, check to see if you have a toolbar in your internet browser called "nqgpedlr". It is very milicious and will give you some aweful symptoms that dont really exist. Fix it first by searching the web. A single fix it program called "SmitfraudFix" did the trick for me.)

• Select Update driver
    • Select "Install from a list or specific location" and then Next
    • Select "Dont search. I will choose..." and then Next
    • Highlight the existing Model or the newest one if there is a selection and then Next
    • Repeat the last 5 steps for Audio Codecs and Legacy Drivers

Hope this helps some one else.

Saturday, July 05, 2008 2:57 AM
  • I really don't know about the response up above, but I have a soulution that *****REALLY WORKS*****!!!  I had no sound for a week, and drove myself crazy looking for a solution, until I found the fix on another website.  If you have a Dell PC like me, simply go to dell.com.  If you have another PC go to the website of that manufacturer.  At dell.com I typed "audio driver" in their search bar.  I'm sure you can do the same at any other manufacturers website.  It asked me for my service tag number.  It then brought up a list of all the drivers that were available for my PC.  There was only one for audio, so I clicked on it and then clicked on download now.  It instantly began to install the SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio that was somehow kicked out of my hard drive.  After the install you have to restart your computer.  Wow, it is so nice to have sound again.  Thank You Lord!!!

Saturday, July 05, 2008 7:37 AM
  • Hi Aezarik,

i did everything you said but when i got to service status to click on start it will not allow me it just stays at stop, im not sure what im suppose to do, plz help.

rxxxxxxxx.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 3:23 PM
  •  

Friday, July 11, 2008 6:18 AM
  •  

i did everything from the control panel to the run start up thing and when i go to volume control it still says that there are not audio mixer devices, i dont know what is wrong, but i downloaded the updates and i pretty much did everything.,... any one got any answers like NOWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 3:03 AM
  • just install new drivers dude.

go to dell or whatever and look up audio drivers.
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 4:14 PM
  • I just came across your response this afternoon when I noticed my computer had no sound. I can't believe it was so easy to fix!!! I would have never figured this out on my own. Thank you so much!!!!
    Friday, August 01, 2008 3:43 PM
  • I was having the same issues with no sound and no active mixer and when i reread the posts i found the typo in these instructions,  Once i understood the directions the fix was simple. 

"

After trying every suggested fix out there and hitting a brick wall, I came across the answer.

Forjs

wht u mean of "remove
    "

"point to amended copy of machine.inf in temp directory, scroll to "plug
    complete install."

i managed to find machine.inf and copied in temp directory. but wht do u mean of "point to amended copy of machine.inf in temp directory".

when i had selected machine.inf, there is no "plug
    and play software device enumerator"

pls help

The instructions should be:

The plug and play software emulator was missing. It was impacting not only my sound  but several other devices as well. Fixed it by searching for machine.inf then copy it to temp directory.
    opened it with note pad and

at about line 20 beneath [Control Flags]

remove the words " ExcludeFromSelect=* "
    save it

And this is totally fixed now
    Saturday, August 02, 2008 6:14 PM
  • Hi, I was wondering if you ever got this problem fixed because the exact same thing is happening to me. I need to get this fixed and was wondering if you wouldnt mind telling me what you did to fix this. I would greatly appreciate it! Hope to hear back from you real soon!

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 10:18 PM
  • need help my pc has no sound due to no mixer device avail

able

Sunday, August 24, 2008 3:47 PM

• To sum up for those who are just arriving, the "no active mixer devices available" error that appears when there is no sound from the PC may be fixed several ways:

Setting Services for Windows Audio Device to "Automatic" if its stopped.
    Adding Plug and Play Software Emulator.
    Reinstalling the driver for the sound card.
    Perform a System Restore from a date when there was sound.

To see the details on how to perform these fixes, see the earlier messages in this thread.

However, for some of us, none of these fixes work. Note, in my case, the problem started when I installed an ATI Radeon 3650 video card with RealTek HDMI sound.

Monday, August 25, 2008 6:14 PM
  •  

hi i need help about no active device mixer,  i need that device and how and where i can download this device to solve this problems

pls any one come foward and show me the way to go on

thanks u from

najeem

Friday, August 29, 2008 1:57 PM
  • Help I need My sound can't function without it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monday, September 01, 2008 6:11 AM
  • Many thanks for the solution. I was getting ready to back off SP3 and/or reinstall audio drivers.
    Thanks to you the problem is resolved
    Tuesday, September 09, 2008 5:55 PM
  • I tried your method and was able to set it as you described.  But it did not help me.  Unfortunately I am still getting the message that there are no mixer devices.  Any other suggestions?

Monday, September 15, 2008 10:46 PM
  •  

Hey

Ive Tried The Go to Start --> Run, and type in services.msc. process

But the essage still pops up, ive treid everythin, how do i no i got a sound card,

cause im really starting to get sick of this and just go but i new computer, i downloaded all the driver and everything

please help

Saturday, October 04, 2008 4:03 AM
  • VeronicaG, you are a legend! I have a HP Desktop and i followed your method and it worked perfectly!!

I tried most of the mentioned methods however this one is the only one that worked

Veronica G wrote:
    I really don't know about the response up above, but I have a soulution that *****REALLY WORKS*****!!!  I had no sound for a week, and drove myself crazy looking for a solution, until I found the fix on another website.  If you have a Dell PC like me, simply go to dell.com.  If you have another PC go to the website of that manufacturer.  At dell.com I typed "audio driver" in their search bar.  I'm sure you can do the same at any other manufacturers website.  It asked me for my service tag number.  It then brought up a list of all the drivers that were available for my PC.  There was only one for audio, so I clicked on it and then clicked on download now.  It instantly began to install the SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio that was somehow kicked out of my hard drive.  After the install you have to restart your computer.  Wow, it is so nice to have sound again.  Thank You Lord!!!

Saturday, October 11, 2008 5:05 AM
  • Thank you Aezarik. this is very professional, and it works like a breeze. This opens a whole window to me (service settings).

Great job. One of the ones that works.

DX

Thursday, October 16, 2008 3:19 PM
  •  

Continue with my post minutes ago, to thank you for giving a working solution to the problem.

By the way, I know how my audio mixed was shut off, thought I don't know why. I was using a my labtop to access a Win XP64bit computer through the Network. The 64bit computer asked for update from Microsoft, and I let it do it. After that, my laptop lost play-back ability, and it also inserted a file into the root directory of my external hard drive. The file is

{a long folder name}\update\updspapi.dll

Though I can change the name of the folders, but I cannot delete the file. Very anoying.

Thanks again.

DX
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 3:34 PM
  • what should i do

Thursday, October 16, 2008 5:47 PM
  • i try so long but no sound come out even the thing appear started i should or not to restart my computer?

Monday, October 20, 2008 1:59 PM
  • Hello every one,

I had this frustrating problem like most of you here" there is no mixer divce" or what ever it is.

Tried everything i could think of ... Updated my pc , BOIS sound drivers codecs ... etc.

and one of the posters here made me think of checking my BOIS and i did .

The answers was in front of me all the time ... guys try this if you still have a problem ..

turn on your pcs . Press "Delete" or what ever it was to enter BOIS mode.

check the advanced setting there should be somehting about Audio; enable them but, make  sure you are in the correct

place... and save your setting... and Alas you got your sound back Big Smile .

I think the settings are reset due to: installing and uninstalling lots of programs , may be that's why we get the mother

board audio reset. Shoot me with replies if this works Stick out tongue ...

Good day to you all !!

Friday, October 24, 2008 5:22 AM
  • Thanks, aezarik!

Sunday, October 26, 2008 12:42 PM
  • thank u soooo much ...works perfect ...hw do u cm  2 knw abt these things ...tel me plz....

Friday, November 07, 2008 9:36 PM
  • When my computer shows me this message what I do is go to
    CONTROL PANEL
    SYSTEM
    HARDWARE
    DEVICE MANAGER
    then I click at the top VIEW and HIDDEN DEVICES then you should see STORAGE VOLUMES then click GENERIC VOLUME ON A RIGHT CLICK AND UPDATE DRIVER. However when i update I don't choose for it to automatically do it for me, I choose the bottom to install it myself then when you continue on the next you can have it search or you can choose the very bottom choice and i always choose the very bottom choice then it takes you to the next page and just click next there and it will install what you need and the click finish and it should tell you that you have to restart your computer and when you restart it there you should have sound. That's the fastest most easiest way to get your sound back I think. I haven't quite figured out what it is other than some kind of virus that security don't catch that causes you to lose your sound but also if you choose it let it install and search for you it will tell you that you already have the best driver installed when really you don't so that's why I choose to install myself. Good Luck!!
    Friday, November 21, 2008 10:44 PM
  •  

Just a quick note to let you know you are still helping people with your posts:

Thanks!

Sunday, November 23, 2008 8:41 PM
  • Thank you, thank you , thank you!!! You saved a lot of frustration on my part. Did I say thank you?

Monday, December 01, 2008 12:06 AM
  • Thanks for your great help..!

Thursday, December 04, 2008 11:17 AM
  • hi aezarik
    =) i had added u my msn =) hope tat u can help
    yes i had tried
    Run - services.msc , Service status," start is selected.
    yes it work ...
    But everytime i restart my pc then after it show some error stuff smthg lik wat genetic host.. (Send) (Dont Send)
    this thing
    then my song canot play my sound dun hav
    then everytime after that i need to go active that RUN ---> bla bla bla ---> service status , "start" again
    is that anyway i can activate it automaticly so i nonit everytime go activate it manually
    yes the startup type already set : Automatic
    but why i still need to go activate it START everytime after restart then the error show
    then i need to activate again
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 8:20 PM