none
No Audio Playback on Windows 7: "peripheral not plugged in" message

Question

• I have a brand new i5 core laptop running Windows 7. Initially audio playback worked. Then I needed to download Audicity, an audio software program. Audicity has rolled out a beta version that now works with Windows 7, however their site instructs you to update your soundcard driver. I searched my System and updated my soundcard driver, still a Realtek driver (microsoft signed). Since that action, i have no audio on playback. Tested Audicity playback-no audio, tested Window Media Center playback-no audio. AND I can see the VU meter moving when I play audio in Media Player, Audicity, etc.

I ran the "Playing Audio troubleshooter" through the start up in Windows Help & Support and got the prompt "Peripheral not plugged in." This is not my problem because I do not wish to plug in speakers, headphones, etc. I just want to hear audio from my laptop! Audio played fine before this driver update. Any ideas? I have been troubleshooting this for 12 hours! Thanks.

Saturday, August 14, 2010 4:52 PM

All replies

• Please go to the support website for the manufacturer of your laptop, download the original driver that it came with, and install it.
    Matthew van Eerde
    Monday, August 16, 2010 2:57 PM